• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

New 45 colt

spider991

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Gents,
Snagged a charter arms bulldog in 45 colt.. I am really hoping that this will shoot as well as my 44 spl bulldog. Issue is, I only load blackpowder 45 colt,lol...anyone got a couplengood smokeless recipes for 250g orn230g bullets? Prefer unique,bullseye,green dot,trail boss as I have those..and a couple others. Something that might thrive in a short barrel...any loads? 20221123_163141.jpg

TerryN

FALaholic #
Rule #1: Never use reload. data provided in forums without double-checking! That said, a nominal 250-260 grain cast SWC~ish bullet with 8.5 grains Unique is a long-time favorite, and **should** shoot to the sights. It's a nominal 850~ish FPS load, that duplicates factory performance (before "Cowboy" loads became a thing). I wouldn't jump off the deep end with that Charter, and try any John Linebaugh or 'Ruger Only' loads in it. The gun is too light to shoot them comfortably, and it is not designed for high pressure loads.

VALMET

M62/76
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Cant speak for .45 Colt loads as I don’t own one, but I’ve had a .44 Spl Bulldog since 2010 and they’re solid little revolvers. I’m actually passively looking for a second one.

spider991

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
they are great revolver but have their limits, a nice medium load is about all ya want to run thru them, they are pretty light and will punish you for heavy loads, and the guns wont like it either, save those for my ruger vaqueros-old models

VALMET

M62/76
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
they are great revolver but have their limits, a nice medium load is about all ya want to run thru them, they are pretty light and will punish you for heavy loads, and the guns wont like it either, save those for my ruger vaqueros-old models
I agree- my Bulldog has prob had between 800-1k rounds thru it and when it comes to handloads I’m always mindful of pressures- not so much in my S&W 24.

hardass

FALaholic #
I have the exact revolver. I use Herco powder.
Herco loads + 1/2 grn are nearly identical to Unique.
I tried 8.5 grns and not pleasant at all . I went down to 7.5 grns and it's much more controllable and easy on the wrist.
This is with a 250grn cast that I Hy-Tek coated

These are rated for +P loads but will beat you and the gun up

spider991

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Ok Hardass, I got the unique that Terry suggested, now I grab hero and see which one my Lil bulldog like to eat..thanknyou

Aeroscout

Contributor
FALaholic #
If there is such a thing, Unique is "the" powder when it comes to standard 45 Colt loads.
The reloading books are all over the place as far as starting and maximum loads.
I started at 7.5 and went up in .5 increments. Running up through the scale it wasn't until I got to 9 grains that the groups tightened up and shot to point of aim. Anything slower and it shot low and seemed to scatter them around a bit.
9 grains is over max in many manuals but middle of the road in others. From what I have gathered up to 10 g of Unique is not out of the norm, but the 8.5 to 9 gr load is about as standard as it gets (For 250-255gr Lead Bullets).

I would start at 7.5 and go up in .5 increments. Stop where it groups well to Point of aim. With a 255 gr slug there is really no need to go any faster than what prints well first.

Slow bullets and soft lead hollow points that open up to the size of a fiddy cent piece.......

I have been eyeballing the older Taurus 2 inch snubs in 45 Colt, I think I may like the Bulldog better. Sweet smoke wagon.

Last edited:

spider991

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Thanks Aero, it actually feels excellent in the hand, fits my big paws. I tried 7g unique today, way to slow and printed like crap,I think I'm underpowered...gonna make up some 8s and 8.5 in 255g leads and 250hp..might try a 9g unique but i think thats pushing it for that gun. I will run those next to some herco if I can find some.

hardass

FALaholic #
Here's a link to some old Alliant manuals. The newer ones have lower charges then the older ones.

I tried some 9.5 grn loads that made 1100fps in my Uberti 1875 with 7.5" barrel, with the above mentioned 250grn coated cast. It's much heavier then the Bulldog so recoil wasn't a factor and accuracy was great at 30yds. These clocked ~ 920fps from the Bulldog and with heavy recoil and shots all over to the left about a foot at 12yds. The lower I charged them the better they shot. Settled for 7.5 grns.

I plan on loading some 200grn Hornady XTP's I had for a 1911, and test them when I get a new chrono.

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
Interesting, I did not know Charter made the Bulldog in .45. I have one of the older .44 Bulldogs I like a lot. I also have a ported, Titanium .45 Taurus sunb that I can’t remember ever shooting.

bubbagump

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
If there is such a thing, Unique is "the" powder when it comes to standard 45 Colt loads.
The reloading books are all over the place as far as starting and maximum loads.
I started at 7.5 and went up in .5 increments. Running up through the scale it wasn't until I got to 9 grains that the groups tightened up and shot to point of aim. Anything slower and it shot low and seemed to scatter them around a bit.
9 grains is over max in many manuals but middle of the road in others. From what I have gathered up to 10 g of Unique is not out of the norm, but the 8.5 to 9 gr load is about as standard as it gets (For 250-255gr Lead Bullets).

I would start at 7.5 and go up in .5 increments. Stop where it groups well to Point of aim. With a 255 gr slug there is really no need to go any faster than what prints well first.

Slow bullets and soft lead hollow points that open up to the size of a fiddy cent piece.......

I have been eyeballing the older Taurus 2 inch snubs in 45 Colt, I think I may like the Bulldog better. Sweet smoke wagon.
^^ This. I use Green Dot for .45 colt and start with 6.5 gr, 250 gr cast bullet. I'm sure Unique will do just fine.

FUUN063

FALaholic #
I had a Taurus in .45 Colt for a short time. When I would go shoot it, sometimes the recoil would pull the bullets in holes 4 and 5 so by the time I got to those, the cylinder would lock up. Yes, the loads were factory carry rounds, but if I cannot rely on my carry gun, it ain't for me.

However, I still have the original .44 Bulldog somewhere in the pile in the basement. Maybe I'll dig it out and post a pic or two...........

Leland

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I had a Taurus in .45 Colt for a short time. When I would go shoot it, sometimes the recoil would pull the bullets in holes 4 and 5 so by the time I got to those, the cylinder would lock up. Yes, the loads were factory carry rounds, but if I cannot rely on my carry gun, it ain't for me.

However, I still have the original .44 Bulldog somewhere in the pile in the basement. Maybe I'll dig it out and post a pic or two...........

Leland
A lot of folks have had trouble with Taurus anything over the decades, me, always good luck, never an issue.
Got a couple of the little 85's, can't tell any difference from the J model Smiths.
One I really had trouble with, a Smith 25/5, picked it up cheap from a divorce sale, looked brand new, ended up sending it to Smith, and they made it right. That batch was made with soft cylinder blocks?? they said, the little "nub" on the left side rear of the frame, behind the cylinder, that keeps the cylinder from slipping out of place, so, they fixed it, worked on a couple of other areas, thing came home a nail driver.
Anything mechanical can be with issues...