• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Need a to buy a pickup truck - know nothing about brands

frankxtc

FALaholic #
My trusty 2000 7.3 Powerstroke E350 van is getting to be too much time & $$$ to keep on the road.
300k miles, got my money's worth, not sure putting more money in it is a fool's errand or not.

Might be time to start looking at another vehicle, not a Diesel this time, a gas Pickup would be
fine.
Would like to be able to fit 4'x8' sheets of plywood, and handle 1/2 ton.
What do you like?

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm gonna get shit for this but....

Toyota Tundra.
Solid truck that'll run well into six digits on the clock.
I looked at them pretty seriously at the last Tulsa boat and travel so. I like their new look. But they got the poorest reviews and reliability reports in the last consumer reports magazine. I may have to rethink this all again.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I looked at them pretty seriously at the last Tulsa boat and travel so. I like their new look. But they got the poorest reviews and reliability reports in the last consumer reports magazine. I may have to rethink this all again.
I fully admit I don't study this stuff. My dad had a Tundra until he died and mom kept it for nearly ten more years, zero issues. My tool account guy at work has a newer Tundra he pulls his boat with, good looking truck, loves it and professes trouble free so far, Runs it back and forth to FL and elsewhere for fishing trips.
I guess I've heard of more problems with the BiG3 makers than I have of Toyota but that certainly doesn't mean they are without problems, I just haven't heard about them.

Edit: Talked to my guy yesterday, his Toyota is a 2019 with a 5.7. Loves it.

Last edited:

Jimbo Jones

FALaholic #
Have to question CR reviews on this...they are recommending Ford Maverick Hybrid, Ford Maverick 2023 (very new models...not enough history on them), Honda Ridgeline (its not even a truck) and Dodge Ram 1500 (know nothing about new Dodge's but heard from friends they had lots of transmission problems back in the day).

They are comparing electric and hybrid models with ICE trucks and wow what a coincidence the green friendly trucks rate higher. I think its because they rank fuel economy as a heavy mark against in the ratings and they have BS "Smog" and "greenhouse gas" ratings. CR has gone woke...no surprise there.

Tundra got a 61 compared to Dodge at 68.

2017-2020 models are rated very good reliability.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm in an abusive relationship with a 2016 F-150. I like the interior and ergonomics of the Ford so I'd probably get another.

I hear good things about Dodge. Mechanics tell me that practically all trucks suck in one way or another these days so just pick a body style you like and go with it.

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Are you talking about the new version? Tundra has always topped the list as to the best in class. I'm not sold on the new V6 yet because they've only been out a couple of years to gauge reliability. JD Power has them ranked #1 in previous years. I have a 2015 and am very satisfied. Bought it for $25K with 74K on the clock. No fancy stuff just power seats and leather. V8 etc. I would try to find one right before the model switch like a 2020 and back. But they are pricey right now.

mutter

FALaholic #
Stay away from the Ford Maverick. It does not meet your needs and it has 3 safety recalls in less than 1 year: 1) under hood fire possibilities, 2) seatbelts, 3) Faulty driver side airbags.

Slaughter

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
Got me a 2018 F-150 with extended cab. The rear seats folded up give you enough room to lie down with just a little bit of fetal position to sleep. There's no longer a drive shaft hump so it's flat. Don't know how the other brands stack up. The big cab and full size bed make for a HELLUVA long truck. I got the 6 1/2 foot bed that I used for motorcycle racing - with the tailgate down and bed extender, it's really useful in urban settings - work tools, motorcycles and broke-ass friends needing shit moved.

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Are you talking about the new version? Tundra has always topped the list as to the best in class. I'm not sold on the new V6 yet because they've only been out a couple of years to gauge reliability. JD Power has them ranked #1 in previous years. I have a 2015 and am very satisfied. Bought it for $25K with 74K on the clock. No fancy stuff just power seats and leather. V8 etc. I would try to find one right before the model switch like a 2020 and back. But they are pricey right now.
Yes, it would be the new 22/23 models. This report was talking about. Is all others here mention, the older Toyota trucks seem to be built like tanks, and close to bullet proof. They must’ve hired a new batch of being counters, and fired their engineers.

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yes, it would be the new 22/23 models. This report was talking about. Is all others here mention, the older Toyota trucks seem to be built like tanks, and close to bullet proof. They must’ve hired a new batch of being counters, and fired their engineers.
Yeah, I was at the dealership getting some service done and sales guy wanted my truck and said he'd sell me a new one at MSRP. I laughed and said no way. I do not trust turbos not to mention 2 of them when it comes to reliability. Pushing those low displacement engines I'm sure is going to affect the life of the motor.

Toddstang

FALaholic #
Test drive everything and pick the one you like best.
I like F150's because they handle the best off road with no modifications. That's my opinion.
Everyone has their own opinions but remember this, anything man-made will fail, sometimes sooner than expected.
It's no different than throwing money down on a table in Vegas. It's a gamble we all take.

Mbell

FALaholic #
I’d be leery of of anything GM right now. Guy at work has a brand new GMC 2500 4x4 and 4 1/2 months in he just got his second computer module. I know their not trucks but work picked up 2 Chevy work van’s and they also are having electrical issues.