• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Need a Couple of Choices for Pistol Powders.

Colts4me

BANNED
BANNED
FALaholic #
There is also scuttlebutt that once a new factory powder line at ADI (Australia Defense Industries?) gets sorted by their engineers, it might come back into production/distribution in 2024.

We'll know more in a year or so, maybe. :rolleyes:
I recently wrote to Hodgdon and asked what powders they intend to discontinue but have not received a reply.

Deltaten

FALaholic #
Sad that they disco'd Clay's. Still have a pound+ put back for shtf. Remains of some 452AA , blue and red dot......
Shooting partner (mostly) and I kept file cards with load data, back when trialing and testing powders for comp guns. Searching for real clean and no (alot less) smoke. Lost that box somewhere in the move, dammit!
I'd hate to have to buy a chrono and myriad of tins of powder just to replicate data.
Old load books don't list any new-fangled powders and new books are damm'd near worthess in data dept.
Fugk me! Startin' all over is a PITA. 😉

wanneroo

FALaholic #
There is also scuttlebutt that once a new factory powder line at ADI (Australia Defense Industries?) gets sorted by their engineers, it might come back into production/distribution in 2024.

We'll know more in a year or so, maybe. :rolleyes:
Ah yes, I have heard quite a bit about those production problems for a few years now from my Australian friends. Pistol powder is pretty hard to come by in Australia and has been for a while.

whisky_n_hot_dogs

FALaholic #
Powders come and go. I heard rumor long ago that 231 was an older process liable to be phased out. Never came to pass. A buddy of mine uses 231 and has good results on 9mm and 45auto.

My preference is Longshot which has more flexibility towards heavy projectiles.

Colts4me

BANNED
BANNED
FALaholic #
Got an email from Hodgdon saying that Trail boss, Clay's and IMR haven't been discontinued but it will be next year before production comes back.

I asked what powders will be discontinued and they never replied to that.

"Trail Boss is out of production but is not discontinued. We are hopeful for its return in the coming year but do not have a current eta. Currently the Clays family of powders and the IMR Enduron series are out of production but they are not discontinued."

davedude

Contributor
FALaholic #
FYI: Trail Boss has been permanently discontinued and has become unobtainium from commercial sources.

Thousands of Cowboys (and others) are displeased.
Displeased is putting it mildly ;-)

I just read somewhere that objections were raised about the chemicals used in trail boss. Hope they get it sorted and back into production.

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
Shit that's a shame about Clays. My 45 ACP pet load is 200 grain LSWC and 4.2 Grains of Clays. Nice Bunny fart load that is super accurate. Still have a pound left.

KoKodog

FALaholic #
for reference, save page to hard drive or print and save

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
When I loaded that stuff, and it has been a while, the last powder I used was Titegroup. Got into Cowboy Action and have been using Trail Boss, glad I laid plenty in. ; ). Not that powder matters as there aren’t any primers to be had. : (

Eeben

FALaholic #
Only loading 45 acp and 9mm. Looks like the choices are

Bullseye
Unique

Are these easy to come by? I doubt I will be reloading 147g 9mm and probably only 230g ball for the 45.

Any others that are more common? I have a Speer manual and just looking at the ones they list. Haven't reloaded pistol in 40+ years and that was only 44 mag back in the day

Also, I don't think I need a case gauge just a pair of calipers should tell me. Do you have to trim straight wall cases?
I use Titegroup. Same 4.6gr load drives 230gr plated .45 and 115gr plated 9mm

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

Bullseye
Unique

Are these easy to come by? I doubt I will be reloading 147g 9mm and probably only 230g ball for the 45.

Any others that are more common? I have a Speer manual and just looking at the ones they list. Haven't reloaded pistol in 40+ years and that was only 44 mag back in the day

Also, I don't think I need a case gauge just a pair of calipers should tell me. Do you have to trim straight wall cases?
I've reloaded tens of thousands of 9 mm and .45 from range brass pick-up, never, ever, did I measure a case.

Get a good set of carbide dies. make sure you're getting a full stroke with cam over to size. Check bullet eating depth and slight taper crimp and you're GTG. Pistol Ian't like rifle. Just keep a lookout for split cases, etc...

I used many pounds of bullseye but switched to Titegroup due to availability. The TG meters perfectly in my Dillon, the Bullseye would be a little flaky from time to time (pun intended.) Bullseye is dirty. Titegroup leaves a grey residue around the muzzle and end of the slide.

I was once shooting an indoor IDPA with lead 200 gr semi-wadcutters and Bullseye... I was lucky I finished the stage before the dense fog completely filled the air in front of me such that I couldn't see by the "Xth" round.

And always chamber check the rounds before use.

You can use factory ammo for a reference for COAL, and there are a ton of recipes for pistol out there for a multitude of powders and bullet weights and types due to the competitive shooting community. FYI you probably know this, but bullet type (lead, plated, FMJ) as well as weight profile/ogive, etc... affects the load. Use 4.4 gr of TG for my 115 gr, an 3.2 grow TG for 147gr (which I just started loading.) That's for plated bullets.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I've reloaded tens of thousands of 9 mm and .45 from range brass pick-up, never, ever, did I measure a case.

Get a good set of carbide dies. make sure you're getting a full stroke with cam over to size. Check bullet eating depth and slight taper crimp and you're GTG. Pistol Ian't like rifle. Just keep a lookout for split cases, etc...

I used many pounds of bullseye but switched to Titegroup due to availability. The TG meters perfectly in my Dillon, the Bullseye would be a little flaky from time to time (pun intended.) Bullseye is dirty. Titegroup leaves a grey residue around the muzzle and end of the slide.

I was once shooting an indoor IDPA with lead 200 gr semi-wadcutters and Bullseye... I was lucky I finished the stage before the dense fog completely filled the air in front of me such that I couldn't see by the "Xth" round.

And always chamber check the rounds before use.

You can use factory ammo for a reference for COAL, and there are a ton of recipes for pistol out there for a multitude of powders and bullet weights and types due to the competitive shooting community. FYI you probably know this, but bullet type (lead, plated, FMJ) as well as weight profile/ogive, etc... affects the load. Use 4.4 gr of TG for my 115 gr, an 3.2 grow TG for 147gr (which I just started loading.) That's for plated bullets.
Got about 1K of nickel plated FC brass that is cleaned deprimed and getting ready to go. I may just hand prime it with the RCBS squishier and take the decapping pin out of the sizer.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Got about 1K of nickel plated FC brass that is cleaned deprimed and getting ready to go. I may just hand prime it with the RCBS squishier and take the decapping pin out of the sizer.
That seems like extra work. I usually just use the decaying pin in the sizing die wither I'm using a progressive or single stage for rifle.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
That seems like extra work. I usually just use the decaying pin in the sizing die wither I'm using a progressive or single stage for rifle.
A little extra work just because I hate fucking with the primer feeder. I've let it run out along with making sure it's engaging etc.

Strop10

FALaholic #

Bullseye
Unique

No promises on anything being truly available, but those work for both.

No need to trim either, although the 9mm has some taper.

You do need calipers for overall length, but dropping then in your chamber(s) will tell you more than a case gauge. Lee carbide factory crimp dies are well worth the cost to basically eliminate any case bulging and are a lot easier to set than combo seater/crimper.

Have you considered casting bullets and powder coating them? I just got back in to handloading in the last few years and powder coated is not much different than jacketed. .45ACP cast shuld absorb the casting tools fairly quick versus buying ball. Lee recently added a 147gr 9mm mold in addition to their 124 gr molds also.

Small primer pocket .45 brass is a thing now too.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Have you considered casting bullets and powder coating them? I just got back in to handloading in the last few years and powder coated is not much different than jacketed. .45ACP cast shuld absorb the casting tools fairly quick versus buying ball. Lee recently added a 147gr 9mm mold in addition to their 124 gr molds also.

Small primer pocket .45 brass is a thing bow too.
No way. I can afford ball instead of worrying about lead at the rate I shoot. Friend of mine turned me onto some stuff his father had stashed for a good deal and am going to load it with 5 cent to 10 cent jacketed ball or heavier HPs

Eeben

FALaholic #
I'm pushing 1,170-1,180 fps with 4.4 gr of TG out of my G34 with 115 gr plated. Is that out of a shorter barrel? You've gotta be pushing those plated near 1200 fps or more. :)
It was either a 3.7in or 4in barrel I can't remember. Due to cost ,I mostly shoot Brazos coated lead 115gr now which is 4.3gr titegroup for 1090fps out of a 3.7in barrel.

wanneroo

FALaholic #
I am sure it is somewhere, but hazmat or driving distance can turn a decent price per pound in to nearing the cost of loaded ammo.
All anyone has to do is sign up for emails from Powder Valley, Midway, Grafs, Midsouth Shooters, Natchez, etc. All of these vendors periodically have free hazmat and sometimes even free shipping at the same time.

Strop10

FALaholic #
All anyone has to do is sign up for emails from Powder Valley, Midway, Grafs, Midsouth Shooters, Natchez, etc. All of these vendors periodically have free hazmat and sometimes even free shipping at the same time.
I thought availability was the stipulation?