• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Minimum cartridge for bison?

lew

FALaholic #
Howdy,

There are a few bison ranches around where you can "hunt" your own. Basically, just meander out into a field, walk up to within a few dozen yards, and shoot a bison broadside. They process all the meat, you can keep or discard the bones and the rest (I'd be taking damn near everything.). I'd just need to get the hide tanned, which I can do myself.

Anyway, what's the minimum cartridge for taking down one on these critters? I have 6.5 Creedmoor, 7.5 French/.308 Win., and 7.92mm Mauser at my immediate disposal, and dies and components to load up whatever I want. A neighbor has a 7mm Rem. Magnum I could likely borrow.

Injuns took 'em down with arrows from shitty little bows (or just ran 'em off a cliff). If I need to buy a .45-110, lemme know.

KoKodog

FALaholic #
this way depends heavily on it being a smaller specimen, i've seen damn big males that you are not getting close to and will need a perfect shot based on expert advise to properly "drop'em"

If you plan to walk up to him on a farm, just use a 357 and pop him in the forehead. I've put down horses this way and I think kit is more humane than havig the vet do it. No reason to waste any bison meat with a broadside shot.

Gary Harwell

Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Check out Cowboy State Daily up your way. Recently had an article on guy in Jackson taking a record one. But not up close. #00WM, 2 shots. Bison is the only animal with not enough brain to tan it's own hide Im told.

Jeff in Pa

Contributor
FALaholic #
Just might want to check with the rancher to see if he has minimum caliber requirements.

My friend Gary raises Bison and they are quite big and the dominate male is quite "ornery". Make that first shot count as you may not fare well if 2000 pounds of pissed off bison comes after you. They are a LOT quicker than you realize.

Gary Harwell

Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Several tanning methods for bison. This guy does a soft natural tan. he only puts a couple up for sale at a time, 1-4K. Skinning holes are a challenge.
His are light weight. The commercial chrome tanned weigh double. He only does Yellowstone bison , you can see the bullet hole in this one.
Have several, have paid for themselves in saved night time heating costs over several years.

VALMET

M62/76
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
They kill elephant with a FAL in Africa.

And this IS the FAL FILES.

A 150-grain Core-Lokt in the thoracic cavity is 100% death to anything.
This. I hunted in S. Africa two years ago (large plains game, not dangerous game) and hunted with a .308 the entire time. A 150 or 180-gr Core-Lokt and a well placed shot is all you’d need.

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
This. I hunted in S. Africa two years ago (large plains game, not dangerous game) and hunted with a .308 the entire time. A 150 or 180-gr Core-Lokt and a well placed shot is all you’d need.
The 7X57 = 30.06 = 308 (in most aspects) and is adequate (and has proven) to take most game animals.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Horse, cow, or pig, draw an imaginary X from eyes to ears. Aim at the crosshair with the barrel parallel to the neck bone.

I've never done it from more than two feet and usually more like two inches. We are talking lifestock, not wildlife.
Dad had a friend that raised buffs for meat, when the custom kill guy came out he used a 30-30 on that spot. Normally on cattle he used an old Marlin M60 .22, but was scared sh!tless of having a pissed off buff chasing him. He would get as close as he could without spooking them.

slavicshooter

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Howdy,

There are a few bison ranches around where you can "hunt" your own. Basically, just meander out into a field, walk up to within a few dozen yards, and shoot a bison broadside. They process all the meat, you can keep or discard the bones and the rest (I'd be taking damn near everything.). I'd just need to get the hide tanned, which I can do myself.

Anyway, what's the minimum cartridge for taking down one on these critters? I have 6.5 Creedmoor, 7.5 French/.308 Win., and 7.92mm Mauser at my immediate disposal, and dies and components to load up whatever I want. A neighbor has a 7mm Rem. Magnum I could likely borrow.

Injuns took 'em down with arrows from shitty little bows (or just ran 'em off a cliff). If I need to buy a .45-110, lemme know.
I'm disappointed @lew , 1 bottle of Slivovic and your bare hands should be sufficient. ~ss

TerryN

FALaholic #
W.D. Bell killed many hundreds of elephants with his .275 Rigby (7X57 Mauser), 100+ years ago. Of the cartridges listed in the OP, I would use either a .308 with a 180-200 grain controlled expansion bullet, or an 8X57 Mauser with a ~200 grain controlled expansion bullet (Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame). If you're going to be up close, you want to make sure the bullet holds together.

lew

FALaholic #
W.D. Bell killed many hundreds of elephants with his .275 Rigby (7X57 Mauser), 100+ years ago. Of the cartridges listed in the OP, I would use either a .308 with a 180-200 grain controlled expansion bullet, or an 8X57 Mauser with a ~200 grain controlled expansion bullet (Nosler Partition or Swift A-Frame). If you're going to be up close, you want to make sure the bullet holds together.
You think a 185 gr. Remington Core Lokt would do the trick? I already got that load worked up.