• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

WTB: Milling services...

Jaxxas

Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
So I have a little (?) project I'd like to pursue. Basically I would like to have some evenly spaced parallel slots milled across one surface of an 8" mild steel disc. Maybe .125-0.185" deep.

Certainly willing to pay $$ though not sure what it's worth, if its something you would be interested in let me know!

TIA

Jaxxas

Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Understood guys. I'll get the specs together. Not sure I can afford a 'pro' but maybe a hobbiyist who is interested?

ymmv

Ok, bit of backstory, this is a thing I dreamed up for grilling. The neighbors and I (more so with COVID) will get together grill over the back fences and have a cook out. Since I have a good sized grill I usually do the grilling. This is my thoughts for making it better(?)! Basically I can sear and grill skirt steak in a single pass as it currently sets but I would like the grooves so that the press gets as hot as the skillet (or close) and I can achieve crispy grill marks in one pass. Hopefully with no fear of over cooking by excessive turning.

So what I have,,

ci1.jpg

Regular old Lodge 10" skillet with well defined ridges for great grill marks. My hope is to achieve that for both sides with a similarly defined grill press.

ci2.jpg

So I made this press out of an 8" diameter x.375" mild steel disc. and while it works well it's missing the grill marks. I think due to the relatively low interference of the steel parts the heat transfer is not what it should be so of course I never get grill marks on the top side. I think with properly relieved grooves the lands from both sides would meet and have much better heat transfer hopefully achieving great grill marks on both sides in one pass.

Here is a rough sketch of my thoughts....

ci3.jpg

I'm sure that probably leaves a few questions and I just downloaded Librecad so possibly I could make a scale drawing.

Not sure how much I would pay for this, not sure what it worth. I have a crappy old 'mill drill' but it is difficult to keep it trammed in, though I may give it a go.

Any inputs are appreciated.....

Attachments:

Last edited: