• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Magazine extension tubes for: A5, Savage 720, Remington M 11

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
As many of you know, I’ve been fooling around with a Savage model 720 scatter gun and having a lot of fun with it. Been trying to keep it pretty little budget however, I would like to extend the magazine and cannot really seem to find anything specific for that gun or, it’s cousins. I’ve been reading on some of the shotgun forums that the tubes made for a Remington 870 will fit but, everybody that made the recommendations didn’t seem to have the actual experience. They just seem to of heard that. Anyone here actually able to confirm that due to experience?
My thanks for any input and contributions.

Also, since it’s Saturday night, feel free to flame away if you like. I know I’m kind of a dope sometime so if you think I deserve it, all right then, if it makes you feel better.

Goodwill

🤓

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
OK, I got impatient and called a friend who helped me. He came over and helped answer about half my question anyway. He has an 12 ga 870 Remington with the three shell Choate extension on it so he came over and we disassembled his and, with the exception of replacing the entire spring assembly which, looks like it should fit anyway since the spring is retained in the same manner on the Savage as on Remington, and the Choate made three shot extension tube made for the Remington 870 screwed right on. I’m encouraged enough I think I’m gonna go ahead and order one.

I would still like any actual use input though if anybody does have any actual experience.

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
So I’ve been shopping magazine extension tubes just in case I can’t find a used one and came across a brand I’ve never heard of the name to Carlson. Anybody have any experience with them quality wise? Are they OK? I don’t feel I need to invest a whole Lotta money because I’m gonna age this thing artificially and then call it good so all I am really concerned about is functionality.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Carlson makes choke tubes. I'd roll those dice if it's all metal.

Kinda looks like a Remington branded extension. It's possible Carlson was the sub-tier supplier for Remington. Maybe with the sell-off of Remington they struck out on their own. Total horseshit speculation. But most mfg source out stuff that isnt their "core competency". Remington built guns, likely farmed out all the accessories.

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Carlson makes choke tubes. I'd roll those dice if it's all metal.

Kinda looks like a Remington branded extension. It's possible Carlson was the sub-tier supplier for Remington. Maybe with the sell-off of Remington they struck out on their own. Total horseshit speculation. But most mfg source out stuff that isnt their "core competency". Remington built guns, likely farmed out all the accessories.
It does kind of look like the Remington Brand. I’ve never heard of Carlson before so thought I’d check around see if anybody else had experience with them. For one single price they include the barrel band/clamp as well as spring and follower which you expect anyway but a lot of the other companies don’t include a sling swivel or a barrel clamp of any kind. And it’s less actually by the time you buy all that other stuff.
Finish I don’t care about, I’m going to ruin that anyway about 10 minutes after I receive the thing in the mail also, I think blue is a little bit easier to age and blend to the blue finish I have remaining on the shotgun I intend to use it on than parking or, a flat blue.

Nihonto Chicken

FALaholic #
For one single price they include the barrel band/clamp as well as spring and follower which you expect anyway but a lot of the other companies don’t include a sling swivel or a barrel clamp of any kind.
The spring and follower are fine, but don't expect to use the barrel band/clamp as the 720 is a reciprocating barrel shotgun, unlike the 870. :)

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
The spring and follower are fine, but don't expect to use the barrel band/clamp as the 720 is a reciprocating barrel shotgun, unlike the 870. :)
Lol, of course. Just noting that it would be included for an 870 purchase like originally intended. So, in that regard plus, this outfit is giving free shipping, that’s even more value added. I could just save the clamp for a later purchase or, barter material.

adam762

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Remington factory tubes have a provision for the bayonet ring on the end. Doesn't matter to everyone but I like it. That said I used a Wilson Combat on my 870 here... factory Remington tubes are not out there. The Wilson I used is STOUT and I could add the bayonet nub if I wanted to. Heavy duty parkerized steel. If you're after an 870 compatible tube, Wilson has my vote.

Aeroscout

Contributor
FALaholic #
Remington factory tubes have a provision for the bayonet ring on the end. Doesn't matter to everyone but I like it. That said I used a Wilson Combat on my 870 here... factory Remington tubes are not out there. The Wilson I used is STOUT and I could add the bayonet nub if I wanted to. Heavy duty parkerized steel. If you're after an 870 compatible tube, Wilson has my vote.
Extension or entire mag tube? Choice of # of rounds held?

Nihonto Chicken

FALaholic #
Lol, of course. Just noting that it would be included for an 870 purchase like originally intended. So, in that regard plus, this outfit is giving free shipping, that’s even more value added. I could just save the clamp for a later purchase or, barter material.
I just noticed on Fleabay that a long time seller with good feedback (no relation) has some NOS Choate (good maker) mag extensions for the 870, parked steel, less expensive than the Carlson's. Here's a link to the +3 version (others available):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154068090002?hash=item23df2c7c92:g:Vt4AAOSwzxtfTUvW

FWIW.

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
The more I look at the reality that I’m probably gonna end up buying a brand new one and aging it, it’s probably gonna be a Wilson tube. If I want to go with a sling swivel they have a model with a swivel attached to the threaded portion. I can relieve the barrel support portion and have a swivel should I need it. Everyone else has the barrel clamp set up which, as already pointed out, won’t work with a reciprocating barrel shotgun, lol. Wilson also has one available in a bright blue finish which will age easier to match my heavily worn finish then a Parked finish will.

TerryN

FALaholic #
Carlson has been making choke tubes since forever, AFAIK. They make good stuff - at least their choke tubes that I have used are good stuff. I dunno about their mag tube extensions, but I'd be willing to take a chance with them. Wilson Combat also has some mag extensions for the 870, and they're reasonably priced.

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
I like the looks of this.....although I would have cut the barrel just a tad longer.

Looks like figuring out the mag ext before cutting might be a wise idea. View attachment 152051
Some (3 Gunners) do that on purpose, so when they they throw the gun in a barrel during a stage the gun’s “barrel” (extended choke tubes, etc.) is not the part hitting the bottom. Maybe somebody building the gun above did not want the moving barrel of this recoil operated shotgun to be the longest part of the gun either. Or maybe they just screwed up.

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
If you look at some of the old pics of the market gunners, besides the classic punt gun cannons, you'll see plenty of examples of model 11's with mag tubes out to the end of 28-30" barrels too...