• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

M14- getting a little more compression?

lew

FALaholic #
Howdy folks.

I have a Fulton receiver in a USGI birch stock. Caveat: I like the stock- it's got plenty of character but has not had the shyte beaten out of it- and I'm not going to spend much money trying to rectify the situation. First person that recommends replacing or bedding the stock gets the hickory stick, and I make house calls.:devilish:

The HTS snaps in to the receiver and locks fine, but there's a slight amount of vertical movement (1-1.5mm) in the stock. I'd like to put a thin bead of something around where the receiver meets the stock aft of the lugs. Will wood glue hold up? I have regular JB weld on-hand. How well does that work on wood?

SilverEagle

FALaholic #
I had a similar issue with a laminated Fulton stock on my Springfield M1a bush rifle.
I cut 3 pieces of thin neoprene rubber from a old mouse pad, it was maybe 1/8” thick.
I then used some high strength 3m double sided tape and placed a piece on the inside surface on the trigger housing but where the trigger guard locks into place, and a piece on each “leg” by the mag catch….
I hope my description helps you out. It’s not a bedding job, but has worked well for me so far…

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I have used sheet brass and added thicknesses until things tighten up. Regular JB weld would do the trick but you want to make sure to apply a release agent to any metal it might contact.
Currently, for my own use, I apply Pro-bed 2000 to the trigger pad contact areas, close the trigger guard all but the last 2 inches and let set for 24hrs. Don't forget a release agent no matter what bedding you might use.

TerryN

FALaholic #
Back in the olden days, wooden shims were used to increase draw for NM M1 rifles. That's how the old adage began about 'he got a Nat'l Match M1, and promptly disassembled it to clean it. He ruined it!' Unless I'm badly mistaken, anyway. I would think that small pieces of wood veneer and some glue would work admirably for this project. It might be a temporary fix, but it could easily be repeated when needed.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Back in the olden days, wooden shims were used to increase draw for NM M1 rifles. That's how the old adage began about 'he got a Nat'l Match M1, and promptly disassembled it to clean it. He ruined it!' Unless I'm badly mistaken, anyway. I would think that small pieces of wood veneer and some glue would work admirably for this project. It might be a temporary fix, but it could easily be repeated when needed.
Thats how I do it,,,,use thin walnut veneer, and glue it in place, sanding as needed for a nice tight fit custom fit.
Since its hidden,,,once action is nice and tight, top the wood with a couple coats of finish oil,,,all done.

Wood stocks contract over time,,,or swell and crack, or both, :)LOL wood added to fit the action, easy to adjust over time.

Fiberglass stocks,,,,,break out the glass bedding and be done with it..

lew

FALaholic #
Awesome info.

The rifle was shooting about 1.25 MOA, so I don't think I'll mess with it right now. However, I do have adhesive-backed neoprene that I use for cheek padding that would do the trick.

Much appreciated, lads.

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Wood stocks have a habit of expanding in humid weather and shrinking in dry. Hopefully someone has not removed material from the stock during a humid period.

lew

FALaholic #
Wood stocks have a habit of expanding in humid weather and shrinking in dry. Hopefully someone has not removed material from the stock during a humid period.
Nothing removed, but it's known for a being a wee bit dry here in the desert wastes. It's got a few coats of tung oil on it, though.

Aluminum tape.

Never tried it on anything other than rimfire, but you can really tightly shim an action into a stock with it.

Or, do it right..... 😉
Do it right? I'm a half-asser. A shirker and a shammer. You must have me confused with a full-asser.

However, I have plenty of aluminum tape...

Bwana John

FALaholic #
Nothing removed, but it's known for a being a wee bit dry here in the desert wastes. It's got a few coats of tung oil on it, though.

Do it right? I'm a half-asser. A shirker and a shammer. You must have me confused with a full-asser.

However, I have plenty of aluminum tape...
A real half-asser would just wait for monsoon humidity to swell the wood....

Last edited:

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Seems to be at least one spoil sport in every crowd. I liked your reply. Good man. I use JAE chassis for my precision M14s. They have adjustable trigger pad screws for that perfect fit.
In you situation shimming would seem to take care of things.

Mom a poodle.jpg FAL 7.jpg Today XM21 ver1 ser 3.jpg Beast 3.jpg

lew

FALaholic #
Seems to be at least one spoil sport in every crowd. I liked your reply. Good man. I use JAE chassis for my precision M14s. They have adjustable trigger pad screws for that perfect fit.
In you situation shimming would seem to take care of things.
I think a couple layers of aluminum tape will take care of it. Those JAE stocks look rad, too.

While we're here, Art: what do you recommend for a retro-looking scope and mount configuration; a rough approximation of a VN-era sniper M14 without shelling out the bucks for a TEL mount. I'm thinking a Bassett high mount and a Hi-Lux M40 3-9x.

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I think a couple layers of aluminum tape will take care of it. Those JAE stocks look rad, too.

While we're here, Art: what do you recommend for a retro-looking scope and mount configuration; a rough approximation of a VN-era sniper M14 without shelling out the bucks for a TEL mount. I'm thinking a Bassett high mount and a Hi-Lux M40 3-9x.
Got me on that one. I was ready to reply to your question and you already gave the same answer I was going to type. Those Hi-lux 40s are very nice. Glass is better than the originals and the Bassett mount would be a perfect choice. I have a few of each on rifles and no problems. Just remember the M40s of today may be a little more fragile than those of yesteryear.

lew

FALaholic #
Got me on that one. I was ready to reply to your question and you already gave the same answer I was going to type. Those Hi-lux 40s are very nice. Glass is better than the originals and the Bassett mount would be a perfect choice. I have a few of each on rifles and no problems. Just remember the M40s of today may be a little more fragile than those of yesteryear.
Well, thank you for the confirmation. Nice to know I'm not way out in left field.

Still undecided if I want another M14 with optics or if I want to leave it with just iron sights. Do you know if the green anodized scope would be even remotely correct or plausible for an Army-issued rifle? I like the look of the green, which would go great with the brown furniture.

Cheers!

lew

FALaholic #
Color is not even close. Top two photos are of rifles with the Hi - Lux M40 greenies. Bottom photo is of me shooting a real deal M40 on my range.

View attachment 206306 View attachment 206307 View attachment 206308
Defo way brighter on the repop. Those pictures perfectly illustrate that, so thanks! I would probably get the black one and paint it.

I'm quite jealous of the M40. If I ever got the itch to get a bolt action, an M40 or M40A1 would be it.

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Defo way brighter on the repop. Those pictures perfectly illustrate that, so thanks! I would probably get the black one and paint it.

I'm quite jealous of the M40. If I ever got the itch to get a bolt action, an M40 or M40A1 would be it.
An FN SPR is a way better rifle and a heck of a lot less money. The Rem 700s are ok, but that's about it.

FN FPR on rock.jpg

lew

FALaholic #
An FN SPR is a way better rifle and a heck of a lot less money. The Rem 700s are ok, but that's about it.

View attachment 206403
Of the SPR, I've little doubt. Remington's have yet to impress me, although I can get some tiny groups out of my brother's. Took a lot of work to get there. I'm set for modern weapons and have been on a very merry vintage kick as of late. Really, I'm just kicking the idea around as I don't have the time to shoot what I have.

That's a handsome rifle.