• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

M-14 usgi fiberglass stock

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
This attachment does not address an “issue” date for fiberglass stocks, but it shows testing began as early as 1963. From Blake Stevens volume one “U.S. Rifle M14 from John Garand to the M21”.
Which would indicate that the development had nothing to do with wood stocks warping in Vietnam.

TerryN

FALaholic #
From Lee Emerson's M14 Rifle History and Development:

Now, it may have taken a few years for the fiberglass stocks to find their way into every day life, but according to Lee (Different), they first began issuing new rifles with fiberglass stocks in 1962. He also states that birch stocks were considered the 'standard' wooden stock, with walnut as an alternate.

• December, 1965 – The final revision drawings for the firing pin and synthetic M14 stock were issued.
  • Springfield Armory experimented with black, brown, gray, olive drab, tan and white colored stocks in the first half of the 1960s during development of the synthetic M14 stock.
  • Beginning in 1962, fiberglass stocks were installed on M14 rifles at the factory.
  • USGI fiberglass stocks were made as late as 1967.

lew

FALaholic #
Various fiberglass stocks were experimented with beginning in 1960. Frank Iaminicco's book states that the second/final pattern of fiberglass stock (with checkering) began to be issued to replace broken wood stocks in 1965. Unfortunately, no mention is made if those replacements were only rifles CONUS or if they made their way to Vietnam, etc... I have yet to find any definitive mention or pictures of fiberglass stocks in Vietnam. From that and what little I can find online, it appears that rifles left the factories with wood stocks until the production runs were complete.

TerryN

FALaholic #
Yeah, unfortunately there are a lot of historical holes in the M14s development and changes made during (and after) production. Lee Emerson's book is useful, but it does leave some questions unanswered.

lew

FALaholic #
Yeah, unfortunately there are a lot of historical holes in the M14s development and changes made during (and after) production. Lee Emerson's book is useful, but it does leave some questions unanswered.
Same with Last Steel Warrior. It's a must for any M14 enthusiast, but a lot of the information on the M14 is cursory. I'm going to look for Emerson's book.

JoeLad

FALaholic #
I put my Chinese M14S in a USGI fiberglass stock. Painted black with a light blue three digit number on the toe, and a small USMC sticker on the rigtht side. A USMC shooting team stock perhaps?

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Subject of stocks. I pilfer every "junk box" any LGS or gun show vendor (when I used to still go to gun shows) which is how I got my first FAL kit and have three M1a/M14 stocks from this buying of anything I see that may be of potential use someday. Anyone able to shed any light on what it is, if camo is from a Bubba owner, military armorer or how it was sold.

KIMG5360-1664x936.JPG

KIMG5366.JPG

KIMG5373.JPG

KIMG5363~01.jpg

KIMG5364~01.jpg

KIMG5374.JPG

lew

FALaholic #
Just a USGI wood stock with Bubba's treatment. Probably birch, as that was the standard, but some were walnut. The maker's mark will be underneath the buttplate assembly, around the holes for the maintenance items.