• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Light Firing Pin Strikes

kimberkid

FALaholic #
This AUG (an A2 with a NATO stock) and 16" barrel, has been running perfectly for years. For the first time I'm getting light primer strikes (Just most of the time, not all the time) and when this happens the charge handle is extremely difficult to pull back to eject the unfired round; with an empty chamber, or chambered round but before pulling the trigger, the charge handle pulls back fine. these light strikes happen no matter if I'm shooting my hand loads or factory ammo (Federal 69grain, Winchester 62 grain or Silver Bear 62 grain).

More info, I was out of town most of last year so it sat in the safe for an extended period of time, about a year but maybe a month or two longer. Last week is the first time its been out of the safe since. Last year I installed a RatWorx 20/20 sear, but it ran fine all last year, the hammer spring is fine and quite stout. Also I bought a suppressor gas regulator which is the only change, and I'm getting these light strikes with or without the suppressor and with the original regulator as well. I've stripped it down completely, cleaned and re=lubed everything including the firing pin & channel in the bolt. I'm tempted to get a new firing pin kit for it but everything seems in tact and in spec. Lastly, as best as I can tell, I'm not getting any bolt bounce and the bolt appears to be completely closed. I wish I had another AUG so I could swap some parts to figure out the problem ... but I don't.

moonbat60

FALaholic #
I own an AUG A3, running regular AUG mags.

Normally by what you described I would have attributed your AUG's problems to
crud building up in the system, especially when running it suppressed.

Are you still able to convert it back to totally un-suppressed / stock and shoot it?

kimberkid

FALaholic #
I own an AUG A3, running regular AUG mags.

Normally by what you described I would have attributed your AUG's problems to
crud building up in the system, especially when running it suppressed.

Are you still able to convert it back to totally un-suppressed / stock and shoot it?
If there's any crud, I don't know where its hiding ... I've put the factory gas regulator back in and without the suppressor and still experiencing 85-90% light F-P strikes.

I don't know how the gas regulator, suppressor could be the cause, but I'm grasping at straws. If I don't make it to the range tomorrow it'll most likely be next week before I have the opportunity. I'll even try putting the factory sear back in however the last time I shot it (prior to these problems) it was running perfectly :(
I'm also going to take my factory 24" LMG barrel ... which is what I use most of the time, but I couldn't pass up having the opportunity to shoot it suppressed.

moonbat60

FALaholic #
Did you also inspect the internals ( inside of receiver and gas piston rod channels ) for any dirt/crud/obstructions?

Do you still have a regular gas regulator to put in?

See if there is also any unusual wear on parts, rough spots etc.

moonbat60

FALaholic #
In my opinion, and I repeat, in my opinion the AUG trigger system might not be that great, but it is not that bad either.

I never saw any reason to muck with the trigger pack. Mine is still bone stock.

It is a military service rifle, and not a sniper rifle or competition rifle. I don't mean to make excuses here, but it was never designed as such.

kimberkid

FALaholic #
Sorry for seemingly dropping out of the conversation but I haven't, I just haven't had the time to respond I've been checking back on my phone but I don't even like texting.

Anyway, I do keep all my old parts, so I put my factory sear and gas regulator back in and still light strikes on the Silver Bear and Lake City, the only thing it'll shoot is my handloads.
Just to eliminate possible hidden gunk, because you really can't get in to clean the hole the firing pin fits in I bought an ultrasonic cleaner and put the bolt & firing pin in, I cleaned the chamber again on both my 16" & 24" barrels and went out to the range for another function test, and again a resounding "click" with a light primer strike in both barrels.

I was just getting ready to leave when a buddy pulled up and we started talking and he said he had his A3M1 with him and if I wanted I could try his barrel in my gun so we swapped them ... my AUG still went click with his barrel, he shot 5 rounds without a problem, so then we switched bolt carriers and finally mine fired 5 round a with no problem, and so did his with my bolt carrier. Turns out he was shooting his handloads ... I gave him some of my Lake City, and his gun went "click" with a light strike ...
We pulled the firing pins and couldn't visually see any difference, but Greg had a set of calipers (cheap plastic ones) in his tool box ... my firing pin measured 4.641" and his measured 4.660" so I don't know if my firing pin compressed or if it wore down or what, what I do know is it's shorter. The tip isn't broken or chipped but it has been in my gun for about 18 years and I have no idea how many cases of ammo I've shot with it ... I don't know exactly what the deal is, but I ordered a new pin.

YAKDriver

FALaholic #
18 years?!!! Is your A2 one of those Pete had Steyr replace early A1s with new A2s?

Did your first pin have the spring on it? (2nd generation). Or was it a no spring 1st generation?

Jim

kimberkid

FALaholic #
18 years?!!! Is your A2 one of those Pete had Steyr replace early A1s with new A2s?

Did your first pin have the spring on it? (2nd generation). Or was it a no spring 1st generation?

Jim
Yep, I bought it from Pete! I don’t know if it originally had the spring because besides replacing the receiver they replaced the bolt carrier with the 2nd generation with the roller on the back, I don’t know if they replaced the bolt too. The scope is also 2nd generation as it has the cross hairs inside the “Donut of Death” and they were returned in a new factory box with test target, sling & cleaning kit … over the years I collected everything AUG I could find, a bayonet, brass catcher and the picitinny rail. Before the A2 I had a Special Receiver which I sold to help fund the A2 but I only sold the S.R. And kept the 16” & 24” barrels, NATO stock and other accessories … and for most of the 18 years all but the A2 receiver & bolt/carrier are still in the box, factory fresh.

Attachments:

YAKDriver

FALaholic #
That is a cool deal Pete put together. The A2s are nice. Nice collection there. Not many know about the stripper clips.

The original pins without the spring had issues of light strikes and some slam fires. There were 2 original pins, one for semi and one for full auto. The new design with the return spring around the pin works for both.

Given his AUG did not like the lake, it really sounds like the lake city could have hard primers or the case out of spec. maybe keeping the bolt from fully closing.

kimberkid

FALaholic #
Well, I used to shoot around 5K rounds a year between rifles & pistols and most of my rifle’s are 223/5.56.
My current factory ammo I bought in summer of 2020, a case of LC (1,000 rnds) and 6 cases of Silver Bear (3,000 rnds) and it was shooting both without issue along with my hand loads in all my long guns. Then last July I got a blood clot, was in the hospital for 4 months which forced me into semi retirement. I’m still under doctors care and I get about 8 hours a day when I don’t have IV’s running into me so I’ve been making the most of the time I have. I’m just limited on how much weight I can lift.
Anyway, I’m sure the L.C. & SilverBear have harder primers than my hand loads but I’ve ruled out the ammo being out of spec because prior to my little hiatus it ran fine in my AUG as well as my AR’s, HK’s, CZ, Valmet etc and it still does.

BTW, I didn’t answer your question about the spring on the firing pin; it does have the spring.

kimberkid

FALaholic #
Just a quick follow up …
I got my new firing pin kit yesterday. First thing I did was to measure the pin … it measured 4.657”, significantly longer than my original pin which measured 4.641.

Anyway, I installed it this morning and went to the farm of another friend … loaded up some Silver Bear & Lake City, both ran flawlessly.

B275A6DC-D48C-4A6C-8CE8-ABE9A3EF94B8.jpeg

moonbat60

FALaholic #
Just a quick follow up …
I got my new firing pin kit yesterday. First thing I did was to measure the pin … it measured 4.657”, significantly longer than my original pin which measured 4.641.

Anyway, I installed it this morning and went to the farm of another friend … loaded up some Silver Bear & Lake City, both ran flawlessly.

View attachment 210025
Sounds like it all worked out.

I would keep an eye on the new firing pin, occasionally measure it and see if it "shrinks" too.