• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Let's buy a Garand from the CMP

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Technically speaking, ya'll talked me into it. So walk me through the process please.

I assume I need to join the Garand Collector's Association (club affiliation?). I have a Texas LTC that I had to shoot and qualify to get (proficiency?).

What else? Am I going to have to mail my birth certificate, LTC, and other bonafides in or will they accept copies?

I'm going to print off the application and go through it this week some time. Just hoping you all may fill in the blanks so I can get a jump start on it.

Best,

Jason

TheShotgunMessenger

FALaholic #
I'm curious too. I'm thinking about trying to get one as well but seems like a bit more then just "add to cart". :LOL:

I have always wanted a M1 Garand and the price they offer is very do-able for me.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
I've read that top to bottom. What I'm trying to figure out is if they really want me to mail them my passport and LTC or if I can Xerox those?
You send a copy. I just laid out my Colorado DL and my CCW on my scanner and hit scan, I then printed that out, the Garand Collectors Assn will give the CMP your membership status. I then filled out the form and went to my bank to get the notary signature. I then mailed everything in and received a Garand about 7 weeks later.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
You send a copy. I just laid out my Colorado DL and my CCW on my scanner and hit scan, I then printed that out, the Garand Collectors Assn will give the CMP your membership status. I then filled out the form and went to my bank to get the notary signature. I then mailed everything in and received a Garand about 7 weeks later.
That is what I needed. Thanks!

Story

FALaholic #

richbug

FALaholic #
Instant gratification is the only thing lacking from the usual firearms purchase process... I mailed in my order when the "stimulus" money came at the first of the year. I got the "Order accepted" email last week. Usually takes 3-4 weeks after that to get the shipping notice.

Best guess you are looking at 5 months at the moment. Are you by any chance near Anniston or Sandusky?

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I thought about a Garand. Hell I have zero 30-06. Sounds like a money bucket. If I had the brass and dies, I could repurpose some 308 stuff. Nah. M14 is about as far down a rabbit hole that I can think of.

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I thought about a Garand. Hell I have zero 30-06. Sounds like a money bucket. If I had the brass and dies, I could repurpose some 308 stuff. Nah. M14 is about as far down a rabbit hole that I can think of.
My other half has a sweet Garand in .308 custom built for her by our own TDB 59. Really awesome looking stick, and shoots very well.
Now if I can get her to reload. She burned 180 rounds of 30-06 last weekend in another Garand.

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
View attachment 125705
Just make sure they're open before you go.
when did they post that? Someone over at the AKFiles just recently went to the south store and bought a bunch of rifles.

probably makes sense, the guy that went there said there was a line at the door before they opened and everyone was buying their 8 rifle limit.

OLDMANPBK

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
when did they post that? Someone over at the AKFiles just recently went to the south store and bought a bunch of rifles.

probably makes sense, the guy that went there said there was a line at the door before they opened and everyone was buying their 8 rifle limit.
It's been up for a few weeks. They waited for me to decide that I really needed a Garand and shut down ☹. I'm about an hour from the north store.

madrad62

FALaholic #
once you get hooked up,its easy to spend $ there,as long as purchace every 3 yrs you dont have to do anything except put in your order or go to one of the stores and open wallet.It can be a dangerous hole to go down!!!

fn ellis

FALaholic #
I’m curious to find out what they have left. I went to Aniston back in 2019 and picked up a Winchester. It’s a parts gun but it’s in really nice shape for $850.

James

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I went to the south store last August and pick out an HRA for $850. I didn't have my birth certificate with me but my drivers license has the gold seal of approval on it and they said that will work for my BC. I was able to walk out with mine after about a 30 minute wait. I have an LTC and a member of the Garand Collectors.

When I went a I went to the Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham on Thursday. This place is fantastic. Thousands of bike of all years. Friday went to the CMP and Saturday went to Stimpy's Atlanta shoot. Doing something like this really makes a great trip.

James