• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Kel Tec P17

nightschneider

Contributor
FALaholic #
These have been out a while, and never ended up on my radar until a couple weeks ago. A friend had one, and I was very impressed with how it shot.

Then I saw the price…$225 from my local guy for a tan one.
73626530122__537A2853-929A-4523-B51B-0BB40107D85A.jpeg

I happened to have grabbed one of the titanium sparrows that SiCo did last year, and the tanodized Ti looks pretty slick.

At the price point, I figured this would be a better deer slayer for work…cheaper than my VQed MK4 w/ tac sol upper…should something happen to it.

just got it zeroed with federal bull pack junk ammo that I had opened.
D82A2693-A54F-4BAA-9A9D-DC6F8F9A271E.jpeg

used a bullet hole as my target, so 5 are mine. Only 10 yards, but I’m pretty impressed.

I put about 250 through it earlier today; not a hiccup across 8 types of standard velocity and high velocity ammo.

so far, I’m very happy, and the price tag is icing on the cake.

Gazz

FALaholic #
I bought one a few years ago and am quite pleased with it. 17 rounds and quite slim so it gets stuffed in a pocket when I'm out in the yard. Only problem is that sometimes the mag release gets tripped while carrying in my pocket. It has never jammed no matter what lr ammo I have run through it.

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
I don't know about the P17, but their PMR 30 had issues with broken firing pins. Repaired a bunch of them while helping out my LGS. The FP had sharp corners and no radii. I suspect this the an issue since the breaks were always in a corner. Don't know if they did a redesign.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have the original Grendel P-30 and two Kel-Tec PMR 30s. The PMR-30s take less work to make reliable than the Grendel (not to mention more attractive) as wanted them for "bug home" end of world and it's a two night crawl to get across two county lines home because of some ANTIFA/BLM type explosion of society. While after some work and birth pains they will feed, fire and extract am not trusting of them enough for a SHTF gun and go more than two mags without potential parts failure. As a "carry in crowded bar or concert" where you just need to make an escape path in event crowd goes crazy a 22 Mag semiautomatic pistol with 30 rounds in the gun and two spare magazines in back pocket that's sixty to ninety people you can pop once or twice convincing them to part the sea as get yourself and maybe wife out.

If Glock had turned the G25 loose earlier (limited production release tells me their wont be many and will bring a premium) would have at least four as could be the perfect pistol for the wife with 17 round capacity in a centerfire cartridge that using the right ammo is perfect for her issues with degenerative bone disease. There is one company that makes a 25 round magazine for them claimed to be reliable and for your spares do not make the pistol bigger. I would have a pair of G25s as "bug home" pistols with pile of 25 round mags and wife would have one in purse plus on body with at least one 25 round spare. That would be a "path clearing" tool in a crowd if had two 25 rounders in back pocket.

Instead of the Kel-Tec PMR-30s in "bug home" packs (day and half sized packs with all one needs for two to three days of bedding down at day and moving after dark) to get home from grandmother's house have pair of Taurus Tracker 22 Mag with nine round capacity while the Kel-Tecs sit in vault waiting on an aftermarket solution to 100% trust in them to run 500 to 1,000 rounds without failure as keep two bricks of 22 Mag in my "bug home" bags. Have considered a host of 22 LR high capacity pistols including Glocks with 25 round magazine for rimfire version available but will save that cash and hope for some G25s to appear in my real after someone tires and trades his 380 for a 9mm when friends make fun of the "women's gun".

If Kel-Tec did the PMR-30 in LR that was 100% then brick of Stingers with brick of 45 grain subsonic and lightweight suppressor would be a highly considered "bug home" pistol. I love rimfire and have considered a pair of Ruger Chargers chopped down a bit with can and pile of BX-25 magazines but its chunky for a rimfire so the Taurus magnum rimfires are my "have 1,000 rounds with minimal weight that has some @$$ in pants" for this purpose. 22 mag has a historic issue of issues in autoloaders though my Ruger 22 Mag rifles are reliable. Anyone have "thousands" of rounds through one of the 22 LRs that started this thread?

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
I see one of these in my future.

Doubt that I have the time to actually shoot it much.

But I've watched some videos about it. From what I'm seeing, they run real well in factory configuration. If you mess with the trigger, or add optics, you're on your own.

If I get one, I doubt I'll dump a bunch of money into it.

I bought one of the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 (Generation 2) guns when they were offering $100 rebate. After much hassle with the third-party rebate-processing website rejecting my rebate-claim submissions, I finally got somebody at Kel-Tec to have mercy on me and they pulled some strings, and got the third-party processor to honor my claim for rebate.

But more to the point, I bought ALL the MCARBO accessories (to the tune of several hundred dollars) for the SUB-2000. And have yet to even take the SUB-2000 gun out of the box more than once. Let alone install all the MCARBO stuff. My head is shaped wrong to be able to use the factory sights on the SUB-2000 unless I hold it gangsta-sideways. Saving it for "a project" someday when I'm completely bored.

If I find my way into a P-17, I'll just shoot it at some tin cans in as-is config. I need more "plinking" in my life. This business of driving all day to shoot a bad score while trying to stand on one-and-half legs at "Excellence in Competition" matches is getting me down.

If only I had a place to shoot at tin cans that won't get the cops called on me, or get my "club membership" revoked.
I suppose if I did it while DRINKING A BEER, I would be excommunicated or some shit.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Here's a video that shows that it vibrates itself apart if you don't disassemble the gun completely when you get it home, and apply LOCTITE to every threaded part.

Kind of a hassle.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
The proprietary Kel-Tec optics-upgrade slide starts breaking apart after just a little use.

Go to abou the nine-minute mark on the video.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
I like this guy.

His "backstop" reminds me of plinking I did when I was a child.

And shooting glass bottles.

All sorts of jamming and shit.

Maybe I'll just buy another Ruger Mark II.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I know if it says Grendel or Kel-Tec I gotta fix it out of the box but most can be fixed with some stoning, torque driver, locktite and maybe some machining. It was funny when the PMR-30 came out initially they had a standard magnum chamber which in matter of 90% of first run coming back they began fluting the chambers. Now the most up to date have full steel tapered chambers with steel reinforcement around the firing pin. A firing pin that is surrounded by polymer is bad, if your original purchaser Kel-Tec will fix this if you have an early model but I fixed mine myself. Then there is the trigger reset fix and the firing pin upgrade and host of Kel-Tec improvements from early models to later. If not willing to do this out of the box on ALL Kel-Tec guns wait for them to discontinue and buy the very latest serial number on the list. Never buy a new release unless you enjoy tinkering.

My Grendel P-30 may be ugly as a "mud fence dobbed with tadpoles" but has more metal parts than the PMR-30 so after borrowing a slightly oversize reamer then having a machinist cut some flutes I got the files to ramp and lip of chamber and it's a fine little pistol but found a NOS "this gun won't shoot barrel" after they went through the name change put mine back stock and it's in its OEM box with papers and such plus a barrel with tag that says "modified for reliable feeding, use at own risk" and is in the vault so if I die whoever gets it next has option of pistol that kind of works but is all OEM or put my modified barrel in and run it.

The PMR-30s have had so many made in about five different generations of factory fixes rather have them as safe and reliable as possible than original so have done modifications Kel-Tec has not even considered and are almost reliable enough to be SHTF emergency pistols. Would trust them to go three or four magazines before something broke but not two tricks of hot rod 22 Mag ammo. Added the stainless steel feed ramps and custom fit and polished in process, aluminum frame reinforcement, extended aluminum safety, improved flat trigger with assorted parts to fix reset issues, aftermarket stainless steel magazines (their polymer mags are 25% of the function issues), high performance buffer, enhanced magazine release, extra power recoil spring kit, heavy duty take down pins, reamed and polished chamber plus reinforced area around firing pin and upgraded firing pin.

The parts to fix the little guns cost about what the gun costs plus you need some specialty tools to install them. If not for occasional slide stop failure would call mine fixed but I did finally find a company making aluminum slide stops, ordered three but waiting on my threaded barrels. Soon as install threaded barrel and the slide stops if able to run 500 rounds through each without issue will call them finished and put into my bug home" bags. Kel-Tec says not to run them suppressed but have a buddy running one with a Form 1 can and there are some YouTube videos of them with cans but all say without the extra power recoil spring and aluminum slide stop they will "put your eye out" when slide comes unglued from frame.

One of the forums I lurk a lot and occasionally post has one person whose PMR 30 is at Kel-Tec for third slide stop under warranty and one guy claims five broken slide stops replaced under warranty. Asked why not just upgrade to a metal (come on Kel-Tec, plastic slide stop on magnum plastic pistol?) and both said adding aftermarket parts voided the warranty... Finding aluminum slide stops (common failure point) may be the final step in making mine pass the "reliability test" of 500 rounds without a failure to feed, fire and extract without replacing a broken part. When finishedwill, have more invested in aftermarket aluminum and stainless parts plus adding threaded barrels.

My guess is the stainless feed ramp, aluminum slide stop, aluminum frame reinforcement, aluminum safety and upgraded trigger added at factory (considering would not be making the plastic versions) since they already install the new firing pin would add maybe $40 to retail cost and make the pistols reliable enough majority of owners would never have a real complaint. They can ship it with their polymer mags to keep price down a few bucks then buyers can snatch up a couple stainless extra magazines and put the polymer back in the box. Wondering what all has to be replaced on the P17 to make it reliable and safe over the amount of rounds most run through rimfire pistols?

Do know if have the early models in the line they have already changed to a new firing pin so check on the Kel-Tec forum for what serial number that change happened and if have the early.... While changing the firing pin clean up the extractor and extractor channel with 1,500 grit wet-dry sandpaper plus cleaning up the hammer where the slide rides across it greatly reduces friction and increases reliability. Also you can tap the roll pin that retains the firing pin up a tad toward the slide just a tad which reduces the chances of the firing pin spring riding up over the roll pin. Some are adding locktite to help hold the roll pin adjustment, others are not.

That's about all I can find but bet in the next year or two will be a host of P17 aftermarket upgrade parts as already seeing people looking for different spring rates both lighter for rat shot and 38 grain subsonic plus heavier for CCI Stingers and other hyper velocity rounds. Also a lot of requests for small plastic part replacements made of aluminum or stainless, the metal parts to have stainless options or factory to melonite or otherwise add some finish to steel parts folks are already having rust issues.

It's a Kel-Tec so aftermarket will provide parts in orcer of highest failure rate till most have a upgrade option if enough are sold before a bad reputation slows sales and get discontinued. My guess is price point will keep them moving briskly, most won't shoot them enough to break them because "bullets are expensive" but those that do run them will fix them as parts hit the market. If had one would see if any of my PMR-30 parts fit or can be modified as bought three of most since own two of the pistols and may need to replace a part or find another PMR-30 owner is selling cheap in frustration because it will not function.

The above mention of the Kel-Tec Sub2000 (also M•CARBO who makes most of the PMR-30 accessories like $239 trigger kit... and already have two P17 tools which means they will have P17 upgrade parts coming soon) always makes me think of the Interdynamic KG-9, Intratec KG-99 the TEC-9M (micro) and variants. Remember the retail was $249 and could buy them new from pawn shops (how dare you put a plastic thing-a-ma-Bob in same counter as Smith wheel guns, early 9mm semiautos, Colt 1911s and Pythons at a "real" gun store?) for $199 new and remember buying them based on make/model used FTF or pawn shops from $100 to $150. At one point I had one of the early open bolt KG-9s, at least five KG-99s, two stainless KG-99s, two TEC-9M Micros and more 32 and 36 round mags than could count, several 50 round sticks and a couple 72 round drums. Darn things just kept popping up dirt cheap like M11/Nines and just kept buying. We would spray 9mm ball like it was free usually threading one or both of my two Scionics rubber wipe suppressors on them. Had them scattered in trucks so always one handy if needed to hose something down.

When they finally got the "ban hammer" and jumped to $500 average price unloaded all but one KG-99 and the KG-9 open bolt then a guy offered to pay $1,500 for the pair and that was two Colt AR 15s so let them go and dang if they don't bring classic pony rifle money as the last open bolt I saw in a gun shop was marked $2,999 because of rarity on open bolts plus a minor mod away from becoming a lead hose. I could not believe folks would pay $500 for a plastic toy and just sent them down the road, some day I will likely be digging around at work or box in basement and find one like I keep finding M11/Nines. Slap a folding brace, add a red dot and under barrel rail to a M11/Nine and it's a viable firearm that drops in a holster. I did "amnesty register" one M11/Nine wish I had a TEC-9 easily located to have braced and amnesty registered.

The Kel-Tec SUB2000 may eventually be a repeat of TEC-9 runaway pricing as the PMR-30s could as well when the ten round magazine ban is reinstated forever. Will keep my eye on M•CARBO website and when they have $200 to $300 in upgrade parts for the little $139 Kel-Tec P17 may have to get a couple to mod usimg more money for upgrade parts than pistol then take to the range so as the guys with $100 used price P17s have slides flying over their shoulders and parts falling out can have a dozen or so aftermarket mags and keep dumping them without any glitches just for grins. I am the guy just as likely to be carrying a Charter Arms compact 38 wheel gun as a rare first edition Colt Cobra, Smith J Frame or a Korth with with a half dozen different rimmed cartridges loaded then pop in a 9mm cylinder with six different 9mm cartridges.

As litter the range floor with an assortment of different cartridge cases then reload cylinder with six different rimless cartridges in it at same time, smack the extractor rod to have 9mm Luger, 9mm Kurtz, 380 acp, 9mm Makarov, 38 Casull and 9mm Largo spit those out without moon clips using Korth spring loaded retention system for rimless ammunition. Then drop the rimmed cylinder back in loading 38 S&W, 38 special, 357 mag, 38 Long Colt, 380 Revolver Long and 38 Short Colt from separate boxes and just keep on swapping those two cylinders till emptied the boxes from a dozen different cartridges just to watch people's brain melt. Actually the Korth lives in safety deposit box with two 1911s prefer not to have tempting me to shoot too close at hand. It's bad when have to hide a gun from yourself so will not shoot it.

HOG04

FALaholic #
I have one and love it, it's my go to EDC gun. Some have had bad experiences with Keltecs and it's so light it feels like a toy at first, but mine has been reliable to a t and accurate enough. Quite a lot of fun to shoot as well.

nightschneider

Contributor
FALaholic #
Took it to the east side gopher shooting.

I would guess it accounted for about 40 for the day.

Put around 200 rounds through it shooting at gophers and random things. Not a hiccup.

Tagged a couple gophers out at the 35-40 yard range. Pistol is as accurate as I can shoot, and I really like the sights.

Still happy.
IMG_8070.jpeg