• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Israeli Light Barrel Build - 922 parts

fanofthefal

FALaholic #
I recently bought an Israeli FAL parts kit and plan on shipping it off to a reputable builder at a later date to have assembled and I was just curious as to what 922r parts you guys went with on your respective Izzy builds?

My barrel and receiver will be DSA so that takes care of two. I'm not planning on having any sort of muzzle device so it's my understanding that I still need another 4 parts. I figured a DSA pistol grip wouldn't be a bad choice for another part? For the last three I was thinking perhaps a Moses Machine Works magazine? I've heard that as far as US made polymer FAL mags go they're not terrible. Or perhaps using US built magazine floor plates and followers along with a DSA gas piston? Any word on the quality of DSA's gas pistons?

Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.

I apologize in advance for a subject that's likely been discussed ad nauseam on this forum already.

Armsdad

FALaholic #
they make US made gas pistons too. But the Israeli piston is a tad longer than the US made ones, mite still work. , US hts, receiver, barrel, grip. =7. .Or get a dsa bolt and carrier and sell me the original..ha .

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado

kentuckyMarksman

FALaholic #
I have one of the DSA Israeli rifles. In terms of compliance parts, they used:
Receiver
Barrel
Muzzle Device
Grip
gas piston
magazine follower
magazine floorplate

I send them an email inquiring about what compliance parts they used because I wanted to use surplus magazines. This is the list of parts they sent me. They also said the fire control group can not be swapped out because the Israeli selector is different. I haven't gotten around to it, but I wonder if I can swap the hammer and sear out and use the original Israeli trigger, giving me enough compliance parts to use surplus mags.

Armsdad

FALaholic #
If you build it , just so you can sell it ,your a mfgr....I think is what that means .But Im not a lawyer. But more to add to O.P,...Tapco used to make nice Israeli charging handles and bolt carriers. Hard to find but they made them. Or atleast they were stamped Tapco USA.

Last edited:

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
But more to add to O.P,...Tapco used to make nice Israeli charging handles and bolt carriers. Hard to find but they made them. Or atleast they were stamped Tapco USA.
Didn't know this. Anyone have an example of either?
I've had standard metric type TAPCO charging handles, well made, did the job. Their gas piston was a good part also. It's the two piece design you want to avoid.
I've never seen a TAPCO made Israeli charging handle or bolt carrier.

Flypaper

The Craftsman
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I could've sworn I read somewhere that flypaper was retired, is he still making furniture for folks?
Doing less and not taking orders anymore… my real job is keeping me busy enough.
I do have Izzy sets in my MP ad.

Armsdad

FALaholic #
Heres a chargin handle. I have 1 of the carriers in my hvy. barrel. I have a loose one here someplace. Gimme a few mins I wil.grab a pic of it. I have only seen 1 other of these charging handles for sale and I missed it on gunbroker auction while on vacation. That was 2 yrs ago I think.

Attachments:

Last edited:

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Heres a chargin handle. I have 1 of the carriers in my hvy. barrel. I have a loose one here someplace. Gimme a few mins I wil.grab a pic of it.
Heres the carrier, they have the fwd assist cuts
Whoa. Thanks for the pics, I learned something today! Never seen these parts before.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Ive not seen many. They seem to be high quality too. Dint know how many are out there or why they stopped.
Who knows. TAPCO was still going strong when I left the arena of the FAL for a short couple of years back in 2002-03. When I came back and started sniffing around again the stench of TAPCO was gone and forgotten around these parts. Someone may know what happened to Buddy but that someone isn't me. Maybe the drying up of cheap FAL kits killed it for him.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Idk much about their other parts but the ones I was lucky to find for fal are nice. And they do seem scarce.
They did make some good 922 parts for sure. Their gas piston was as good as surplus AFAIC. Those and their charging handles were standard go to for me. That is, until a couple of others came on line. And then we all decided replacing parts with the same US made parts was idiotic because we aren't manufacturers.

Armsdad

FALaholic #
I built that iraeli light barrel for my daughter. She is 5 now. Knowing how twisted and corrupt our govt. Is I went ahead and did that one with 7 us parts. I dont ever want her having trouble if she ever needed to sell it later . Hopefully she never needs to..I was just thinking ahead..on all mine I put original parts if I have them. I keep a few loose US made parts in case I need them.