• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

IMR 4198 in 5.56?

badzero

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Just a follow up, the Hornady LNL power measure works with this powder, its the same basic design as the Redding tbd59 showed only considerably smaller. I found that every so often it would bind and require me to "help" it open otherwise if I didn't the measure would crimp the case mouth almost closed, after a couple of these you get a feel for it. Tapping with a screw driver on each loading as said by Tentea seems to help as well. otherwise you'll get a random powder bridge and dump the charge everywhere. Over all it works with some quirks, the measure seems to throw it with a consistency- +/- .1 gr which is as good as I've ever gotten even with ball powder. Once I got going it seems to waste no powder.

Thanks for all the help Guys.

Last edited:

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I get the same consistency- +/- .01 gr.- from ball (Ramshot Tac), flake (HP38), or extruded (IMR4895). Fill up the hopper, wipe the outside down with a dryer sheet, tap on it a few times, make sure the Failsafe Rod has proper tension, then it's off to the races. I'll check the charge after two hundred rounds or so, but I've never had to do so.

Badzero: If yer powder measure is throwing powder out from places it shouldn't be, the bar, the powder measure body, or both are worn, or, far less likely, out of spec.
Did you actually mean +/- .01 gn , or did you mean .1 gn?

lew

FALaholic #
Thanks, I have been using an RCBS Matchmaster dispenser that drops powder within +- .04 gn and I thought that was pretty accurate down to the weight of 2 kernels of H4350.
No worries. I'm getting half inch groups with my precision 5.56 and .308 loads, and that's good enough for me. Chasing anymore charge consistency is not worth the expense.

ArtBanks

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
No worries. I'm getting half inch groups with my precision 5.56 and .308 loads, and that's good enough for me. Chasing anymore charge consistency is not worth the expense.
I agree completely. I find that as my wobble zone increases with age, I need to eliminate as many variables as I can. Been working so far. Couple of 100 yds10 rnd groups with my 6.5 last week. Whatta Hobby!

Stealth 6.5 2.jpg

randy762ak

FALaholic #
I came into 4 Lbs of 4198 IMR,, I loaded a Bunch of 55 Floor sweeping bullets from RMR. I used the Lowest Powder charge listed and they cycle Fine Make Noise and print pretty good groups.For kids and friends to shoot cans at 50M.. OH yea reduced loads are NOT My favorite powder In 30.06 That would be AA5744 !!