• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

IMR 4198 in 5.56?

badzero

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I just picked up 8 pounds of 4198 in sealed containers from a garage sale for a dollar a pound and find a lot of contradictory info online about whether it will work with 55gr pills in a rifle length 5.56. Has anyone ever run it and can you get 5.56 spec loads to work?

davedude

FALaholic #
I just picked up 8 pounds of 4198 in sealed containers from a garage sale for a dollar a pound and find a lot of contradictory info online about whether it will work with 55gr pills in a rifle length 5.56. Has anyone ever run it and can you get 5.56 spec loads to work?
Cant say about 5.56 but 4198 is good stuff for reduced cast boolit loads in a bunch of calibers. I wish i had moar. I say very good score!

tdb59

Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Is it just me or does this powder not flow worth a shit through a dillon powder dispenser?
It ain't just you, it don't flow worth a shit in any powder measure.
It flows excellently through my Redding measure.

Dillon and RCBS powder dispensers are shit for any powder that is not small flake or spherical.

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
It flows excellently through my Redding measure.

Dillon and RCBS powder dispensers are shit for any powder that is not small flake or spherical.

RCBS is what I have. What makes a Redding different? Figured they all cut the powder off about the same, except for that funky LEE measure.

badzero

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I’m not really impressed with the way my Dillon handles ball powder either, guess it’s time to commit blasphemy and try a Hornady on it

tdb59

Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
RCBS is what I have. What makes a Redding different? Figured they all cut the powder off about the same, except for that funky LEE measure.
Probably the larger cavity, and the larger diameter of the drum. I should have specified the OLD Redding........not Otis Redding, cause he dead.

Resized_20210526_162535.jpeg Resized_20210526_162552.jpeg Resized_20210526_162420.jpeg

lew

FALaholic #
I’m not really impressed with the way my Dillon handles ball powder either, guess it’s time to commit blasphemy and try a Hornady on it
If you can't get ball powder to work in a Dillon powder measure, you need to put reloading behind you.

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #

badzero

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
If you can't get ball powder to work in a Dillon powder measure, you need to put reloading behind you.
I can make it work just fine, it’s just really wasteful, throws powder everywhere. I’ve spent hours effing with it, came from the factory with the powder funnel, “ it’s been longday and I’m drawing a blank on its name” inside where the powder drops upside down. I’ll admit it took me awhile to figure that out.
That’s on a 1050 super, I also have a Hornady lock n load. After using both the Hornady works a lot better for both kinds of powder.

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
I find my Dillon measures (550) fairly precise for stick, ball or flake powders, but I do tap them with a screw driver handle for each charge when using stick powders. ;)

Slaughter

Silver Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
I don't even TRY loading extruded powders of any type any more. If I MUST use the Dillon with extruded powders, I just resort to weighing and dumping instead of using the powder measure. I'm almost always using BLC-2, Win 748 just because it feeds well and shoots fine in 223 and 308.

Pic lifted from 6.5 Guys site but shows the setup used instead of powder measure. You really CAN load precision loads on the progressive press. I've NEVER had any luck with extruded powder with Dillon or RCBS measures - though the RCBS can CRUNCH through the extruded powder but you may find that also leads to some inconsistencies in loads/velocities. Won't make much difference unless you're precision loading.
1622084335909.png

lew

FALaholic #
I find my Dillon measures (550) fairly precise for stick, ball or flake powders, but I do tap them with a screw driver handle for each charge when using stick powders. ;)
I get the same consistency- +/- .01 gr.- from ball (Ramshot Tac), flake (HP38), or extruded (IMR4895). Fill up the hopper, wipe the outside down with a dryer sheet, tap on it a few times, make sure the Failsafe Rod has proper tension, then it's off to the races. I'll check the charge after two hundred rounds or so, but I've never had to do so.

Badzero: If yer powder measure is throwing powder out from places it shouldn't be, the bar, the powder measure body, or both are worn, or, far less likely, out of spec.

badzero

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I get the same consistency- +/- .01 gr.- from ball (Ramshot Tac), flake (HP38), or extruded (IMR4895). Fill up the hopper, wipe the outside down with a dryer sheet, tap on it a few times, make sure the Failsafe Rod has proper tension, then it's off to the races. I'll check the charge after two hundred rounds or so, but I've never had to do so.

Badzero: If yer powder measure is throwing powder out from places it shouldn't be, the bar, the powder measure body, or both are worn, or, far less likely, out of spec.
I hadn’t thought of that, but thinking about it now I’m probably my due to rebuild it.