• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

If you could only have ONE knife?? Fixed blade, what would it be.

MAINER

Can’t get there from here.
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
T’would help to know what purposes you intend to use it for.

For general all around use with nothing in particular in mind, I like a 5” flat ground blade in carbon steel like 1095 or quality SS if you prefer.

Ontario “Bushcraft-Field” is one such blade and costs around $60 I believe.

Tuhlmann

Owner of the Boner
Contributor
FALaholic #
That’s kinda like asking “if you could only have one size combination wrench, which size would you pick?” Kinda silly, right? But I understand what you are trying to accomplish, so how about some more info?

-Primary use? Stabby or slicey? Bushcrafty?
-Daily carry? If yes, how & where do you like to carry?
-Maintenance tolerance? Rust & edge
-Local legal limitations? (If you actually GAF)

Many more questions could be asked, but that’s a start. Like all tools, no single knife will be “the best” for all or even most situations. Guys get boners for 8+ inch Bowies, and I can’t for the life of me see my own need for a blade that large, but that was a quintessential blade size & shape for frontier life. Defensive knives get even weirder!

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a Case Apache which is a 5" fixed blade stainless with the hard black plastic handle. Virtually identical to a Buck 105.

It is the most utilitarian and most used fixed blade I have, but like Tuhlman said, there is no one-size-fits-all-purpose knife.

1643652295123.png

Tuhlmann

Owner of the Boner
Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a Case Apache which is a 5" fixed blade stainless with the hard black plastic handle. Virtually identical to a Buck 105.

It is the most utilitarian and most used fixed blade I have, but like Tuhlman said, there is no one-size-fits-all-purpose knife.

View attachment 177620
I have to admit, gun to head, a Buck 105 Pathfinder or a 102 Woodsman is golldarn tough to beat. Affordable too & Made in USA. But again, I’m looking at that through the lens of how and what I use a knife for.

Colts4me

BANNED
BANNED
FALaholic #
Andy is the most knowledgeable guy here in my opinion. I followed his advice and I have no complaints. However one knife is a difficult choice.

I just can't say what is the best tool for any thing that might come up. At one time a ESEE fit the possibilities but times change and so do needs. I love the knives Andy turned me on to .

Colts4me

BANNED
BANNED
FALaholic #
Just to blather on, I cut on some Costco dead bird for my food today. They make good rotisserie chickens and it takes just the right size knife for a good cut. I didn't use my war knife of my Swiss army knife. Nope didn't use my Condor machete to make my bite size pieces.

I kinda figured knives are tools of the trade or craft you want to use them at. War knives picked for times in battle might still be used for the little surgery needs but ....

Anyway enough of my rambling.