• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

I think I want a VZ 58. Is it a silly want or, what?

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I watched a couple of videos from gun Jesus about the VZ 52/57 and then, the VZ 58. I think the VZ 52/57 though cool, might not really be in my want category but, I’ve never really been that excited about a regular AK but, maybe the VZ 58 might be a cooler idea. Is my want misinformed or, am I just your average dope? What is an average dope anyway? What are the better specimens available? The rifle, not being a dope average or otherwise.
Been looking at these.

Danziger

FALaholic #
Do it. Ive had a pair for many years now and think they’re great carbines. The Czechs have always made quality firearms and these are well made reliable and accurate considering the round imo. I prefer the full stock version to the side folding one having both. I got a bunch of milsurp mags moons ago and never an issue with any.

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Cool! Thanks everyone. Looks like I’m going gun shopping. Can anyone recommend any other vendors than the one I posted? I’m not sure who all carries them that are solid to do business with, most being unfamiliar to me. I was also looking at one of the Blondwood ones instead of the barf wood like I posted the link to. Whatever model, they all seem to be about the same price for the retro style with the updated ones being a little bit more.

357ross

FALaholic #
Just a design element that never appealed to me. It's mostly used on rifles with sheet metal receivers and trunions but the vz has such a nice machined receiver it seems out of place.

otis61

FALaholic #
Why? G3/33/mp5 pretty successful pressed and pinned stamped guns. Theres others as well. Granted not an easy barrel change but not designed to be one.
Don't for get every version of the AK that there ever was.
I have two also. And like was said get the solid stock. One thing I don't like about them is their trigger. It's more like a striker fired trigger. Like a glock, and I don't like those either.

jjjxlr8

FALaholic #

1700444881852.png

You are in luck that they are in stock!! I had to get on the email list to be notified when I wanted to buy my second one. They didn't have the wood stock option at the time either, I had to source an original set of wood furniture separately ($$).

Last edited:

12v71

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Cool! Thanks everyone. Looks like I’m going gun shopping. Can anyone recommend any other vendors than the one I posted? I’m not sure who all carries them that are solid to do business with, most being unfamiliar to me. I was also looking at one of the Blondwood ones instead of the barf wood like I posted the link to. Whatever model, they all seem to be about the same price for the retro style with the updated ones being a little bit more.
I'm gonna say, I have 2 of the Century VZ 2008's a folder and a beaver barf full stock. Mine have been good to me. But some can have problems. A cool rifle with nearly indestructible mags.

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
The Vz58 is a fantastic rifle. It's one of my favorites at the range out to 300 yds. The new ones with the Walther Lothar barrels are excellent shooters. Buy one of the Czechpoint USA versions.

View attachment 359448

View attachment 359450
View attachment 359451

Vz52/57 and Vz58
View attachment 359452
That’s the one I keep going back to even though they’re touch pricier, the Lother Walther barrel really is a selling point for me to justify the price. Thinking that’s the one for me. I think I actually like the beaver barf over the Blond-ish wood.

Pluribus

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
If you buy one and shoot one you will want two. Then you will want a pistol version. The things are like FALs, but aren't. Good luck and don't say we didn't tell you so.
Gotcha. I ain’t a feared. 😎 I’ve been the odd kid all my life. I’m not about to change. 😎

jjjxlr8

FALaholic #
My Czechpoint rifle is fitted with the wood impregnated resin furniture right now. I like that stuff, too. It has a nice feel to it and is uniquely Czech. You won't be disappointed in the Czech built rifles. They are very well made. Get 'em while you still can. They won't continue to import these rifles forever.

aron82

FALaholic #
Like mine. It's an older d-technik build on a czech reciever. Been toying with the idea of getting another one to set up in a more modern style.
Atlantic has them in stock in several flavors:
There is an outfit that makes a trigger for them, but some fitting is required.

jjjxlr8

FALaholic #
Why would you replace the trigger? The factory trigger is very good in the World of military triggers. It's a striker fire design so the pull is light and the break is crisp, at least on mine.

ftierson

FALaholic #
I am also a big fan of the vz.58 rifle.

When the Century vz.2008 rifles were being sold at giveaway prices (around $300), I picked one up. While CAI has a somewhat checkered ( :) ) reputation, especially in the assembly of AKs, I've been very happy with the vz.2008. I have had zero problems with it, my only gripe (OK, so this is a function of my bore-whore addiction) is that they parked the non-chrome 16in replacement barrels (which are decent barrels) without plugging the barrels. Not a real problem, but it still annoys the crap out of me...

I liked the rifle enough that I decided to buy a couple more which, unfortunately, had disappeared from the market (the cheap ones) before I had decided (that's not the first time that's happened to me, given my 'need' to ponder things)...

I ended up buying three vz.58 kits (from new demilled rifles with original barrels) from APEX Gun Parts (in 2011, if I'm remembering correctly). They all had the folding stocks. I also bought a bunch of new mags/pouches from APEX (cheap at the time), extra stripped barrels, and one of the Czech Armorers kits/crates.

I also bought three Czech D-Technik receivers from Czechpoint, plus semi trigger kits and a few extra parts.

I sat on all this until 2018, when I finally took the time to assemble the rifles.

I ended up assembling two vz.58P rifles, one with a wood stock and the other beaverbarf...

I also assembled a vz.58V with the folding stock.

As an aside, one of the nice features of these guns is that the stocks are easily interchangeable (you can go from fixed to folding in a few minutes, pulling only one bolt...).

On the wood-stocked gun, I ended up, optimizing piston movement, with the front sight at the left limit of it's travel. I could have played some more with the barrel/receiver alignment, but I ended up just replacing the rear sight with an adjustable one purchased from a seller in the Czech Republic. Problem solved...

What I ended up with...

vz.58P (wood):

IMG_0933.JPG

vz.58P (beaverbarf):

IMG_0936.JPG

vz.58V (stock extended):

IMG_0937.JPG

vz.58V (stock folded):

IMG_0940.JPG

Sorry for the double-tap on the wood image since I can't figure out how to delete one of them (Gotta live with our limitations... :) )).

Forrest

Edit: My thanks to Tac-40 for fixing the double-tap... :)

Last edited: