• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

I recovered some primers--have a question

Heisser Mann

FALaholic #
Firearms talk is main reason for joining from: Kin
Good day--not to long ago I got over 600 rds of .223/5.56 brass that someone has used a pair of pliers to yank the bullets and powder, but leave the sm rifle primers. I laboriously removed all the primers, most tarnished on the outside but shiny in the interior. I tested a few (surefire) and loaded some (60 ish rds) and took them to the range recently ,where they functioned 100%. My question is: they fit loosely in my newer brass--to the point where I used a dab of superglue and or nail polish to keep them from falling out. Is there a better/different way to seal these up? recovered primers.jpg primers.jpg

Zimm

FALaholic #
Don't know the answer ,but want to know how you got them out
I reloaded some brass I had ,one had a case head seperation making me recheck my reloads
Turns out I had some Indian brass that was stretched by the base.pulled the bullets and powder .now to get the primers out .at the time I didn't worry about it cause all was plentiful .but now?

Heisser Mann

FALaholic #
Firearms talk is main reason for joining from: Kin
Don't know the answer ,but want to know how you got them out
I reloaded some brass I had ,one had a case head seperation making me recheck my reloads
Turns out I had some Indian brass that was stretched by the base.pulled the bullets and powder .now to get the primers out .at the time I didn't worry about it cause all was plentiful .but now?
Lee dies. Most of the cases were straight enough to pop them out with a full resizing die. If I recall I may have used the neck die as well.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Any manufacturer would recommend against decapping a live primer. You're literally pushing against the anvil. But, if it goes "pop" you won't damage anything. I'm impressed... and a bit mortified.

V guy

Silver Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
If the primers were crimped, you might have some deformation when you deprime them.

I use a lee decapper die when I do some, but not very often.

If you reloaded .223, you might have instead, been able to resize some of that deformed .223 brass by leaving out the decapping rod/stem.

2barearms

Contributor
FALaholic #
Any manufacturer would recommend against decapping a live primer. You're literally pushing against the anvil. But, if it goes "pop" you won't damage anything. I'm impressed... and a bit mortified.
So you would be correct...no manufacturer would take responsibility for you injuring yourself decapping live primers.

However....I’ve done thousands of cases with a Lee universal M14 decapping die. It also has enough room around the case to not build pressure if for some reason it should go off. Primers seem to take a lot of force to set off by putting pressure on them. I’ve set off several in the dillon 1050 not realizing the issue was the primer station. Striking one in a progressive press real hard might do it.....

Having said that, I got banned from a board for discussing steam power. The usual negative Nellies with the you can’t do that because you blow yourself up crew showed up and the argument ensued and I was summarily given the ban hammer....they never stopped once to listen to fact that I wasn’t actually building a boiler but rather a steam generator.....

Carry on.....

2ba

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
So you would be correct...no manufacturer would take responsibility for you injuring yourself decapping live primers.

However....I’ve done thousands of cases with a Lee universal M14 decapping die. It also has enough room around the case to not build pressure if for some reason it should go off. Primers seem to take a lot of force to set off by putting pressure on them. I’ve set off several in the dillon 1050 not realizing the issue was the primer station. Striking one in a progressive press real hard might do it.....

Having said that, I got banned from a board for discussing steam power. The usual negative Nellies with the you can’t do that because you blow yourself up crew showed up and the argument ensued and I was summarily given the ban hammer....they never stopped once to listen to fact that I wasn’t actually building a boiler but rather a steam generator.....

Carry on.....

2ba
The fact that you mention getting banned for a board has nothing to do with me. I wasn't claiming the OP shouldn't decap live primers nor claiming it shouldn't be discussed. Was there a point to the second part of your post?

2barearms

Contributor
FALaholic #
The fact that you mention getting banned for a board has nothing to do with me. I wasn't claiming the OP shouldn't decap live primers nor claiming it shouldn't be discussed. Was there a point to the second part of your post?
Yes....you immediately went to the ‘ you’ll put your eye out’ mentality.....and yes I’ve read every bit about
’safely’ removing live primers and find it amusing to say the least. Usually it’s folks who never actually try
to do it that tell you how dangerous it is........I would not recommend using a progressive press to decap live primers however.....and the point of being banned by an overzealous asshole on an alternative energy board
was almost hilarious but the argument leading up to was similar.....by the way I never intended to build a ‘boiler’ either......it was a steam generator like the one in a Doble steam car.

2barearms

Contributor
FALaholic #
You‘ll never learn anything by always going with the flow......common sense is generally recommended when dealing with reloading.....

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yes....you immediately went to the ‘ you’ll put your eye out’ mentality.....and yes I’ve read every bit about
’safely’ removing live primers and find it amusing to say the least. Usually it’s folks who never actually try
to do it that tell you how dangerous it is.
.......I would not recommend using a progressive press to decap live primers however.....and the point of being banned by an overzealous asshole on an alternative energy board
was almost hilarious but the argument leading up to was similar.....by the way I never intended to build a ‘boiler’ either......it was a steam generator like the one in a Doble steam car.
Is English a second language, or do you just project your own feelings on everything you read?