• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

(how to ) removing stuck case in resizing die

Jeff in Pa

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
A friend at work got a case stuck in a resizing die and couldn't get it out. Literally ripped the rim off the case. He hammered, he pried and even tried vise grips. No joy.

I told him to bring it in to work and I'd pop it right out. He said "yeah, right" but brought it in anyway.

I drilled the primer pocket thru a 13/64" drill and tapped it 1/4-20 NC. A short piece of pipe ( or a stack of washers will work too ) and using a bolt, easily got the case out. ( increase the washer / pipe length to get the neck sizer out)

He looked at me dumbfounded and said " NO SHIT".

I grabbed a couple pictures off the internet. Take the die and put it in upside down in the press . Try to keep it straight but it's not critical.
stuck case drilling.jpg

Here's what the case looks like after it's done.

removing_case_closeup_threads.jpg

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I always wondered if a shell extractor would work. In all my reloading I've been fortunate along with being able feel if something is not quite right.

Jeff in Pa

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I always wondered if a shell extractor would work. In all my reloading I've been fortunate along with being able feel if something is not quite right.
I did this same thing for the first time right when I started reloading about 1993. I tried the same thing as my friend, hammer , vise grips excessive use of the "universal adjective" and was ready to purchase a new die. My friend Roger told me about the drill and tap and it works so good, I immediately go to it when there's a problem. ( it's only been a few times but works GREAT )

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I did this same thing for the first time right when I started reloading about 1993. I tried the same thing as my friend, hammer , vise grips excessive use of the "universal adjective" and was ready to purchase a new die. My friend Roger told me about the drill and tap and it works so good, I immediately go to it when there's a problem. ( it's only been a few times but works GREAT )
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

SAM1965

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Is there any truth about putting the die with stuck case in the freezer for awhile? Something about different rates of shrinkage between the two metals?????

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I occasionally miss lube or sizing wax in case forming or drawing out bullet jackets. Stuck cases are easy with stuck case remover if combination of freezing the die/case then warming die trying to keep case cool and doesn't just fall out. A thin jacket stuck in a jacket drawing die is so thin hard to get a hold and remove without ripping it in half.

Have figured out a way that works really good if take to work and use hydraulic pressure to do the work. That said have one 5.56 case drawing die with stuck rimfire case ordered a new die and waiting for the Lord to grant me more patience before try unsticking the case/jacket. Has made me way more attentive when drawing out 22 Mag cases to 6mm jackets as imagine sticking one of those would be misery. Good save for your friend.

gw104

FALaholic #
That's one thing nice about Lee resizing dies, loosen the top nut and using a hammer, smack the top of the decapping pin with suitable flat punch. Drives the stuck case right out.

Sig220

FALaholic #
Shortly after starting reloading, I put myself together a stuck case kit. Includes the drill, the tap, the bolt and spacers (washers and large nuts). Used to piss me off to no end if I got a case stuck in a die, now it just takes a few minutes and its all good!

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
If you have a small/medium dewer for transporting and holding liquid nitrogen a few days it works good. Warm the die till almost too warm to hold without gloves (don't want to overheat it) then pour out some liquid nitrogen in small container and dip case in it. Die has expanded some and case shrinks fast if just dunk case head in the nitrogen. If doesn't drop out don't get the idea to grab it with a tool and junk till warms some as is so cold it just shatters base leaving bigger issue of having to use broken shell extractor.