• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

How Many SIG 556 Owners? (PIX ADDED POST 16)

LKY_13

Sig Sauer Me
Contributor
FALaholic #
So can someone explain the 3 screw vs 4 screw uppers?
4-bolt = ER (Early Release) 1st gen, manufactured circa June '07-ish. Will have some/all of the following Swiss parts in addition to US parts: imported cold hammer forged barrel (Supposedly. Personally, I have never been able to confirm this, as there are no roll marks. And, no factual documentation verifying this info.) Swiss gas block w/roll mark, Swiss gas piston, Swiss numbered (but not matching numbers) bolt carrier group, Swiss fire control group w/proof, Swiss lower parts kit, and finally a Swiss pistol grip...

I believe somewhere around JS 5XXX-6XXX the imported Swiss parts started to dry up. So, they might have some of the above listed import parts, but tapper-off after this. I cannot confirm what serial number they switched to 3-bolt uppers. I've not ever owned or handled a 556 in this range. No clue if they still had a few leftover pistons, or FGS to put into these or not.

If anyone knows exactly when they switched to 3-bolt uppers, I would love to know.

2barearms

Contributor
FALaholic #
4-bolt = ER (Early Release) 1st gen, manufactured circa June '07-ish. Will have some/all of the following Swiss parts in addition to US parts: imported cold hammer forged barrel (Supposedly. Personally, I have never been able to confirm this, as there are no roll marks. And, no factual documentation verifying this info.) Swiss gas block w/roll mark, Swiss gas piston, Swiss numbered (but not matching numbers) bolt carrier group, Swiss fire control group w/proof, Swiss lower parts kit, and finally a Swiss pistol grip...

I believe somewhere around JS 5XXX-6XXX the imported Swiss parts started to dry up. So, they might have some of the above listed import parts, but tapper-off after this. I cannot confirm what serial number they switched to 3-bolt uppers. I've not ever owned or handled a 556 in this range. No clue if they still had a few leftover pistons, or FGS to put into these or not.

If anyone knows exactly when they switched to 3-bolt uppers, I would love to know.
So it looks like I ended up with a 4 bolt fish gill gun.....I put the one of 2 thousand Swat lower on and it shooots real nice. I’ll probably sell the spare lower or trade it for a 550 lower. Now I need a set of sights for it....

metalreptile

FALaholic #
So it looks like I ended up with a 4 bolt fish gill gun.....I put the one of 2 thousand Swat lower on and it shooots real nice. I’ll probably sell the spare lower or trade it for a 550 lower. Now I need a set of sights for it....
Mine is a 2009-ish SWAT model. I have looked at the 556 rifles for a good while, but never figured I would buy one. Then a local shop got this one in. You can see what it looked like in the first photos I posted. But as they don't normally deal in this type of weapon, it was marked down to a very reasonable price. I figured I could do something with it, even if I resold it. That won't happen now. I did not like the quad rail and vertical laser/light. Just not needed, and heavy as hell. It now wears a 551 handguard, and I love it. It is a 3 screw that made the change even easier. The scope that was on it is now on my Ruger No. 1 45/70. The folding/collapsible stock was a Swiss made unit, but I like the 551 stock better. It just does not collapse, and I think it just plain looks better. I have no idea what type of lower is on it, and don't really care as I have no intention of changing it. I like using M16 mags. It had the hooded front sight on it, and came with the rotary HK type sight that attaches to the rail. No intentions of changing that either. Not really trying to make it look more "correct" or anything like that, just using available options to make it more like I want it. And I think I am about done. It is what it is. For me, it is a much better rifle than it was with all that tonnage hanging all over it.
If I would have purchased the same scope for my Ruger No. 1.....it would have cost me about half of what I have in the entire SIG package........I'm happy :beer:

No4MkI

FALaholic #
I managed to pick up a 556 back in August, but some ongoing health issues kept me from doing much with it.

It had the folding/collapsible magpul AR butt stock witch I didn't like at all, so I put a Magpul non collapsible stock on it, which totally changed the way it shoulders and still retains the holding feature.

The previous owner had Durakoated it FDE. It also had the aluminum raiil for end which I also did not like. I found original fish gill fore ends at Numrich and a spritz of FDE Alumna-hyde took care of yje color. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet, probably after christmas.

For sights I bought a 522 fron sight off GB and a friend had a Sig diopter. I was going to figure out how to modify an HK 33 rear sight, since they are cheap.

Some pics.

Jarhead504

FALaholic #
My kid shoots the blazes out of his with no problems after thousands of rounds. It is a shame that SIG dropped them and a worser crime that they never came out with the one in .308. I was gong to sell some FALs and M-14 clones to get that one or two.

Jarhead

LKY_13

Sig Sauer Me
Contributor
FALaholic #
Indeed. 751 SAPR stateside would have been a dream come true.
I kept waiting for the announcement from SiG USA...
Instead, they chose to end production on all 5XX rifles and focus on ARs.
516 and .308 716 before eventually introducing the MCX/MPX.
All that legendary Swiss heritage flushed down the bowl.

Oh well. 'Merica sure loves ARs.
I might eventually get a B&T APC308 rifle. Figure it's the closest I can get.
Not really interested in the 751 pistols recently brought over. At least not
at the prices they are demanding. Would rather a true rifle length build.

mp

FALaholic #
Just picked up a Sig 556 pistol--spur of the moment purchase, but price seemed too good to pass up. Used, but still had the hang tag and the SIG wrist ban around the pistol grip? Plan is to folding brace and then eventually full SBR, using the folding lower off my 556 SWAT to make it more Swiss "correct."

patrick71

FALaholic #
Sig 556

I have early 556 rifle swiss parts, and mid P556 pistol
I love em both , just little play between upper
And lower use 8mm pin instead on 5/16 and
Slip 9/16 Id o ring on rear block with pin hole
And tights up good

d762nato

Contributor
FALaholic #
I make a replacement trigger for the rifle, so I know a lot about the FCG, less about the rest of the rifle.

I think it is an excellent rifle, though there were some bumps in the road. i think very early generation 556 used a lot of Swiss parts,and were excellent. Next gen was when SIG USA was trying to start up US based production, and there were some quality issues, then third gen stuff the US suppliers finally got their act together.

It was introduced when Obama won his second term, and everyone was terrified of confiscation, and prices of 'assault rifles' were crazy high. I think SIG figured out they could start up 556 production faster than they could get an AR to the market (since EVERY part was in short supply), and they wanted to cash in on the seller's market. Later, they brought their AR on line, and marketing support for the 556 dropped. Unfortunately, there are few after-market parts, and everyone loves to accessorize, so SIG finally dumped the 556 in favor of (yawn) yet another AR based platform.
I've got one of Art's triggers in my Commando model 556 and it works great nice and smooth and way lighter as well. I'm glad I got one years ago.

Stranger

FALaholic #
They are front heavy hunks of steel that will wear out your arms if you do any 3-gun competitions. So, naturally, I have two.

They are stable, accurate and incredibly reliable. The trigger is surprisingly nice as well. I can pull off a "Jerry Miculek"-style six round group in just under two seconds at 15 yards.

But seriously, if you are on a course of fire that requires standing/off-hand shooting you better not skip arm day at the gym.

Clonehead

FALaholic #

My Sig 556 is an early 1st generation rifle that started life with the aluminum lower with AR-style stock, STANAG magazine well and fish-gill handguard. I have since put a Swiss 551 handguard and lower receiver on it, installed a Shooting Sight hammer/sear and a set of Aurora Industries sights. The only problem I have had with this rifle is the screws in the rail stood up too far so that a scope mount would not sit flush on the rail. Sig took care of the issue with no hassle and this rifle has been 100% reliable. This is easily one of my top two favorite AK's.

LKY_13

Sig Sauer Me
Contributor
FALaholic #
That is one beautiful rifle, Conehead. Congrats.

How do you like Shooting Sight's trigger? I have tested many US, and a handful of Swiss, but never a Shooting Sight. Always wondered how they compared.

Elwarpo

FALaholic #

When you say 3 versus 4 bolt, where are the bolts. you got me curious about my JS serial number rifle which was one of the Gen 1s. Are you talking about the 3 or 4 raised sections around the selector? My JS 504x has 3 as does my friends JS 2255x. Another friends JT 02117x has 4. JS 504x came with the nonfolding AR stock, JS 2255X came with folding Ar stock. JT is a patrol came with folding AR stock.

Last edited:

Clonehead

FALaholic #
That is one beautiful rifle, Conehead. Congrats.

How do you like Shooting Sight's trigger? I have tested many US, and a handful of Swiss, but never a Shooting Sight. Always wondered how they compared.
Decent, not as crisp as I was hoping for but better than the trigger that the rifle came with.

Clonehead

FALaholic #
When you say 3 versus 4 bolt, where are the bolts. you got me curious about my JS serial number rifle which was one of the Gen 1s. Are you talking about the 3 or 4 raised sections around the selector? My JS 504x has 3 as does my friends JS 2255x. Another friends JT 02117x has 4. JS 504x came with the nonfolding AR stock, JS 2255X came with folding Ar stock. JT is a patrol came with folding AR stock.
I believe LKY_13 is referring to the number of screws in the top rail.