• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

How far can you push an oil filter and battery on a car?

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a bolted to the ground gas (Natural) fired turbine running on oil, Turbine 32, that was loaded into the skid in 1998. Second engine on the skid, 38000 hours total run time. Oil sampled and lab analyzed every 500 hours.
"No action required".

Ain't that something?

SpringerXD

FALaholic #
There's an old saying: "Your vehicle burns gas, but it RUNS on oil."

I think that's very true. The more freely the parts can move and with less friction, the better off it is. 20k is out of the question on an oil filter.

Having said that, I have a story. Many years ago I was in the car business, Nissan specifically. Our dealership owner once bought a 1988 Ford F150 from a farmer he'd known for years. This was around 1992-1993 or so, so it was about 4-5 years old. Well, my mechanic friend back in the shop said they were told that the oil in it had NEVER been changed. Not even once. It was a farm truck with over 100k miles, I forget the exact number.

Anyway, I was back in the shop with him the first time he removed one of the valve covers. I've never seen such a thick black syrup in an engine. The valves were coated in it and it was everywhere.

J. Armstrong

Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
10K on the oil ? No thanks.
I hear a lot about full synthetics going longer between changes but there is a lot of evidence disputing this. Oil is cheap compared to any engine work.
I get the oil filter problem - the way they design shit anymore makes even the most simple maintenance a major PITA. Still, it's easier and cheaper than having to pull the engine..........

ByronF

FALaholic #
I used to buy cheap batteries because they were cheap. And they decently lasted.

Now the crap-grade batteries are EXPENSIVE and fail even sooner than before. So I've been buying AGM batteries. Maybe I'm a sucker to the marketing.

And I won't buy an Optima.

J. Armstrong

Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a bolted to the ground gas (Natural) fired turbine running on oil, Turbine 32, that was loaded into the skid in 1998. Second engine on the skid, 38000 hours total run time. Oil sampled and lab analyzed every 500 hours.
"No action required".

Ain't that something?
It is a turbine, though.........

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
It is a turbine, though.........
Yup. A different animal completely. Most folks don't give it any thought but the big turbines on commercial airliners? How often do you think they change the oil in those? Yeah, they have oil and it is a service point. They use some pretty exotic stuff in most of those and the longevity of the oil is eye popping. But it's not an ICE so no combustion contaminants.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yup. A different animal completely. Most folks don't give it any thought but the big turbines on commercial airliners? How often do you think they change the oil in those? Yeah, they have oil and it is a service point. They use some pretty exotic stuff in most of those and the longevity of the oil is eye popping. But it's not an ICE so no combustion contaminants.
Yup. Sort of like of like hydraulic fluid. Only contaminate is from the closed system. Oil washes an ICE engine for the most part.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Oil is cheap, compared to a new engine. I change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Full synthetic oil for the turbos.

I see no need to skimp on oil and filters. Just do it.
Same here. Manual calls for full synthetic at 6k. I change at 5k. Hard working turbo engine and it's much easier to remember 5k intervals vs 6k.

base704

Vampire Pilot
Contributor
FALaholic #
10k?
20K for the filter?
:oops:
I change the oil in my Jeep (semi-synthetic) every 3-4k. Never change the oil without changing the filter.
I recently bought the wife a new car and the manufacturer recommends oil changes at 5k intervals (including the first) which I thought was insane.
But, in my defense, I'm used to dino oil practices.
Bikes;
Dino oil in my Dyna every 3k (with filter).
My "more modern" bagger gets synthetic every 4k.
With a new filter.
Batteries, I feel are something that always surprises you. And, as mentioned earlier, will die at the most inopportune time possible.
The last one in the Jeep is an Interstate.
On the bikes, I usually go with a Yuasa battery.
They have a great "rating", and I've had really good experiences with them thus far.
And, although it sounds foreign, they are made in the USA.
I have to give you credit for airing all of this in a forum atmosphere, but I have to say that I've never heard of anyone skipping the filter on an oil change.
Much less until 20k.
And, echoing what all else has said/implied, I think you are being very "ghetto" on something very critical.

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
You guys are probably right about the filter, though I tend to buy Fram Ultra or higher end synthetic filters not cheap cellulose ones. Some of you guys need to remember that Toyotas have quality rings, piston liners and valve seals that dont shit the bed at 80k miles like an American engineered and sourced piece of shit. I used to have a Merc Grand Marquis that was a granny church car that I got with just 50k on the odo...and my Toyotas oil at 10k miles looks better than the oil in that one did at 3500 mile intervals. By the time that Ford small block V8 had 130k on the odometer it was using more than a quart of oil between changes.....which I was still doing at 3500 mile intervals back then.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
You guys are probably right about the filter, though I tend to buy Fram Ultra or higher end synthetic filters not cheap cellulose ones. Some of you guys need to remember that Toyotas have quality rings, piston liners and valve seals that dont shit the bed at 80k miles like an American engineered and sourced piece of shit. I used to have a Merc Grand Marquis that was a granny church car that I got with just 50k on the odo...and my Toyotas oil at 10k miles looks better than the oil in that one did at 3500 mile intervals. By the time that Ford small block V8 had 130k on the odometer it was using more than a quart of oil between changes.....which I was still doing at 3500 mile intervals back then.
Had an LS1 in a 2001 vette. It would use a quart of oil between changes. Bought it new

base704

Vampire Pilot
Contributor
FALaholic #
From "Cars.com" . . .

In a tip sheet to fleet-vehicle operators, GM says normal consumption “can be in the range of one quart within 2,000 miles on a properly driven and maintained vehicle.
From "MyCarVoice.com". . .

Generally, most auto manufacturers consider it normal for an engine to consume up to about one quart (approximately 0.95 liters) of oil every 1,000 to 2,000 miles (1,600 to 3,200 kilometers.
I have heard, and read the same from several other sources.
YMMV

OLDMANPBK

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Got a 2008 Focus with 192,000 miles on it . I use semi synthetic oil and change it and the filter every 5,000 miles without fail. Doesn't burn a drop of oil yet. I'm hoping for 292,
000. 🤞

madrad62

FALaholic #
just got a 23 tacoma[ in january] wanted the oil changed at 1k, break in. they looked at me like i was crazy.told them to do it anyway. going to change every 5k, although they say 10k. Bikes, cars, trucks, mowers, tractors get it when it starts to turn color. Too late in the game to change strategy.

J. Armstrong

Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
/QUOTE]
I know a lot of folks worship at the Toyota altar ( and not without some reason, I admit ) but it don't make no nevermind - 5k max. End of story ( IMHO :) ).
I've had more than a few pieces of "American shit" that went well in excess of 200k with no major engine problems. Back when I beat the crap out of them oil and filter were on 3k intervals - cheap insurance !

Tak

FALaholic #
They say 10K for oil because they don't expect you to own the car long enough for that to cause an issue; the figure you are going to trade it in after 4 years for a new one so no problem.

WrocketWrecks

FALaholic #
Oil is cheap, compared to a new engine. I change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Full synthetic oil for the turbos.

I see no need to skimp on oil and filters. Just do it.
Turbos benefit from even more frequent oil changes, especially if not using a turbo timer. If it is run hard, and not allowed to cool before shut-off, oil sits in the 600 degree turbo housing and cooks. On start-up it just circulates back into the motor...yuck.

ftierson

FALaholic #
I use full synthetic in both my 2004 Explorer and 2005 Expedition. I have a shop I trust do the change every 5000 miles. I used to dick with it myself, but the small amount I saved doing that just wasn't worth it anymore. I also have them check other stuff at the same time. The auto transmission in the Explorer doesn't even have a dipstick, probably one of Ford's better ideas, you know... Checking it and the differentials is much easier on a lift than laying underneath on the ground...

I put a new Sears DieHard AGM battery in my Explorer in June of 2016. I just replaced it with an Interstate AGM. I was getting a slow starter crank when the temp was 10-15 degrees F. I'm quite happy with the life I got out of the DieHard...

Forrest

munchoman

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
just got a 23 tacoma[ in january] wanted the oil changed at 1k, break in. they looked at me like i was crazy.told them to do it anyway. going to change every 5k, although they say 10k. Bikes, cars, trucks, mowers, tractors get it when it starts to turn color. Too late in the game to change strategy.

Ya but did they really do the work you paid for, I caught the Toyota dealership not changing the oil filter on my 21 Rav 4 ( they had over tightened it on a previous change):mad:
and just skipped over that part the next time, or times? so much for the" free oil changes"
Oh and to lazy to reinstall all the bolts for the pan cover, and over filled the oil level, that was the tell
And the Honda dealership here is no better, the GFs CRV they stripped out some pan cover bolts, and also did not put them all back in either

Last edited:

aron82

FALaholic #
Oil changes every 5k max. With new filter. New engines get full synthetic old engines get proper weight and whatever I feel like at the time. 60s and 70s engines aren't sophisticated and it doesn't matter too much.
A battery will Let you know before it fails completely pay attention and it's not a big issue.