• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Homemade Extractor Tool - *pics*

JOHN E

FALaholic #
Thanks for the instructions Bubba!
Made one today and it works great. Used thick coat hanger for both parts and filed a hook for the extractor hole.

Last edited:

konstan@yahoo.com

FALaholic #
Bubba said:
Bubba's New-fangled, High-tech, One-handed, Coat Hanger Extractor Extractor Tool
My submission to WECSOG U. Build one yourself!
Well, in Bubba's footsteps, I also performed an act of proving that I am a homo sapiens, not an ape, and am able to make tools. This thing works like a charm!!!

Here it is, with the disaseembled bolt:

Good times...

Dumpster Baby

FALaholic #
I struggled with one of these for hours before giving up. My ejector spring has a rubber insert in the middle that made it very difficult to compress the spring far enough, by any means with any kind of tool.

Only after I finally got it apart and cut 1/8" or so off each end of that rubber insert could I get the spring to compress far enough with reasonable force.

When I inquired about the rubber inserts I was informed that millions before me never had any problem with them, therefore I was the problem and not the part.

I won't be trying that again without a proper too.

:cry:

weird-one

FALaholic #
I was also reluctant to remove my extractor for fear of loosing parts or not being able to get it back together. But I put together a Bubba tool and removing it now a snap. It is also light and small enough to go into my kit. Thanks Bubba where ever you are.

My version

Last edited:

Pistolwiz

FALaholic #
This thread really needs to be a sticky. Extractor tools are getting hard to get and this freebie tool can help lot's of folks maintain & repair their rifles.

C'mon Gary...... Bubba did us all good here. It needs to be up on top and in front all the time to help newbies. And some of us that have been around a while and have been neglecting their extractor assemblies. It's one of the specialized maintenance tools for the FAL. Ya just can't remove and install extractors easily without losing parts or getting an extractor plunger impaled on something/somebody. Unless you have a tool for it.

This is EXACTLY what a lot of folks need right now and not making this a sticky is a disservice to the members.

Will ya please stick this thread! :fal:

Pistolwiz

FALaholic #
Again. Should be a sticky. This tool isn't important UNTIL YOU NEED ONE! How about some best of threads for tools and stuff like that? This one can be included.

grubbyeddie

FALaholic #
I second or is it up to fourth or fifth? Tenth? Gunpartsguy's motion, this should be a sticky. Totally would have saved me the loot I spent getting the "proper" tool from DSA and I would have had the fun and satisfaction of making a WECSOG tool.

As a personal aside to Gunpartsguy, you did right by me and it was a pleasure doing business with you a month or so ago. You shipped the gas tube I bought real effing quick. I appreciate it alot. I'll look you up again when I need more stuff for sure.

Pistolwiz

FALaholic #
AndyC said:
Stickied by popular request :beer:
Way to go Andy....... I bet this thread will save some folks from some serious frustration trying to maintain the extractor assembly over time. Not to mention help those out with the rare broken/malfunctioning extractor. Thanks!

I :love: :fal:'s

V guy

Silver Contributor
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I worked on mine for a while before I realized that Bubba's dimensions are critical. First one looked like a pretzel after 5 minutes. I even had the correct old hangers that were made of good wire.

Main problem: I did not follow the directions.

To keep the "pull rod" on the "crank", it depends upon the exact length to work best. That way it all works in tension and pulls everything straight, with just the right crank force leverage and no bending.
I did wind the pull rod wire around a nail I locked into a bench vise. Then I put the piece on the crank before making the final bend to the crank, helps assembly a lot.

He is a far smarter guy than me. Worked great once I did it correctly.
1hr start to finish or so.

Lots of guck in the bolts I did; long overdue.

fastprofessor

FALaholic #
Oedipus said:
Agreed....but heed the warnings about keeping pressure...I have yet to find the two extractor springs I ricocheted at supersonic speeds around my garage. :fal:
I always throw an old towel over the extractor after getting the tool fitted into it. That way if any springs shoot out the towel catches them.

Oedipus

FALaholic #
fastprofessor said:

I always throw an old towel over the extractor after getting the tool fitted into it. That way if any springs shoot out the towel catches them.
I guess that's one way. I just locked myself in the bathroom and closed all the drains, lol.