• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Hi-Power questions

Mrbadshot

Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a surplus FN pistol and it shoots about 2" left @ 12-15 yards.My question is two part, would a Brownells replacement barrel simply drop in?
And is it likely to shoot any better with a different barrel? Thanks for your thoughts.

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Second have tapped the rear sight to the left a smidge (front sight opposite, rear sight same) to bring it to the right?
Now you're confusing me. Move the rear the direction you want it to go. Shooting left move it to the right.

OP it seems almost every pistol I handle shoots to the left when I don't really line up. I think it's related to my eyesight. If you have an FN HP you're doing better than me. I only have an Argentine

Trooper894

FALaholic #
If you are shooting left move the rear sight left, the front sight would go to the right.

Negative. If you are shooting to the left, the rear sight is moved in the direction you want the shots to go, in this case to the right. You can also make some adjustment with the front sight (if it is dovetailed) and the correction is made towards the direction the shots are currently falling, move front to the left.

1911Ron

FALaholic #
Negative. If you are shooting to the left, the rear sight is moved in the direction you want the shots to go, in this case to the right. You can also make some adjustment with the front sight (if it is dovetailed) and the correction is made towards the direction the shots are currently falling, move front to the left.
Ok my mistake, sorry about that.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
With your FF name, Mrbadshot,,,,hand it off to someone else, and see how they do with it, before making any changes.
If I've not shot in a while, 2/3 inches left is normal for me, so much so, if needing to hit something dangerous,,,,,I'll aim 2 inches right of where I need rounds to hit...

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Have you bashed the magazine-disconnect out of it yet?

It can get sporty.

You really gotta hit that sumbitch like you mean it. I mean like you are trying to kill it in real life and death.
Probably a press would be a better tool.
But when all you got is a claw hammer...

Them marks weren't on the frame before.
"Its just cosmetic." 💣⛏🔦🧻

punchmark.jpg

foot.jpg

tools.jpg

kopcicle

FALaholic #
Have you bashed the magazine-disconnect out of it yet?

It can get sporty.

You really gotta hit that sumbitch like you mean it. I mean like you are trying to kill it in real life and death.
Probably a press would be a better tool.
But when all you got is a claw hammer...

Them marks weren't on the frame before.
"Its just cosmetic." 💣⛏🔦🧻

View attachment 232337

View attachment 232338

View attachment 232339
When I left "that detail" the first thing I did was bash the mag safety out of both of my Hi-Powers.
I understand a basic "leave it stock for liability, safety, chickenshit, reasons but without the (*&^%%#$%# thing in there it's an actual trigger.

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
I thought about adjusting the sights,the front one is over to the right some already and the rear dosen't look too movable. Guess I'll just hold right. Thanks for the input!
If your front sight is already to the right and you're hitting left, then center it up and try again.

A new barrel is likely not needed.

There is no reason not to adjust the sights for you and your eyes.

A solid workbench, a steady hand, a brass drift/punch and a hammer will put it true.

Good luck.

Gazz

FALaholic #
Put your slide in a vise with padded jaws, copper, brass or heavy leather, apply a bit of kroil or other penetrating oil and with a brass punch and heavy hammer tap your sight a bit to the right. Always work towards the fixed jaw of the vise. Any brass smudges or smears can be removed with bore solvent containing ammonia and a nylon bristle brush.

Stubborn pins should be removed with a starter punch, a short business end tapering quickly to the point.

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
@Gazz
You should clarify above moving the rear sight to the right to adjust for POI being left.

Somebody already drifted his front sight to the right, apparently causing his POI to be left of center.

Therefore, drifting his front sight left and back to center will likely bring his POI back to center, also.

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
control the language, it is a magazine "disconnect" not a "safety".

Lift your pinky in the air when shooting.

If it moves when you pull the trigger, you must practice until it doesn't.

It sounds like you are sympathetically clenching your grip fingers with the trigger finger, which pulls rounds low left for a right handed shooter.

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
It sounds like you are sympathetically clenching your grip fingers with the trigger finger, which pulls rounds low left for a right handed shooter.
Also possible, but I didn't want to impune his shooting abilities without knowing him personally. ;)

But really, when has that ever stopped us around here. :ROFLMAO:

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
As GP stated above in addition to my 20+ years experience as an Firearms instructor, the shooter's grip is the most common error that results in POI issues. Working on proper grip and trigger finger placement Will most likely correct most accuracy issues. The attached videos are easier to watch than it is for me to write the same stuff down.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kopcicle

FALaholic #
when has that ever stopped us around here. :ROFLMAO:
...did you even have to ask?

@tac-40 , I've had little trouble getting people on to the 1911 and at least getting them on their way.
The only one I haven't been able to help and will not attempt to help is the one that adopts a grip that is everything wrong with the world in just one grip save for pointing the gun at themselves while uttering the words, "but it's easier" .

I was actually surprised me was that weapon instruction came naturally to me. I was even more surprised that my students were moderately successful.

Classic. If I've been off platform for a period of time, it's usually the first thing I notice and have to correct.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The biggest things I had to correct for customers/new shooters was death grip on the gun and jerking the trigger, anticipating the recoil. Once I got them to calm down, relax, and methodically pay attention to what they were doing things got way easier. Had a couple of guys so focused on the death grip they would only respond to instruction with a mumble, meanwhile not hearing a thing I said. Even acknowledging instruction but making no actual motions to put into affect what I was telling them. Scared to death of the gun.
"Dude! Breathe!"

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I refuse to point my thumbs upward while gripping a pistol.

Maybe other folks' hand/arm joints work differently than mine. The thumbs-up grip feels like the most un-natural, and likely to lose control of the firearm, method I could possibly think of.

I hold the gun the way I damn well please. Adjust the sights and/or sight picture, and proceed. The dot-sight is the ultimate remedy for this "point your thumbs up" bullshit.

Although, I'll admit I don't much "practice" shooting precision pistol (defined as anything that involves creating some sort of "sight picture" relative to the target). Don't have time for it. Can't afford the ammo. I let my mind focus on the DEFENSIVE aspect of pistol shooting - which by my standard FORBIDS use of the sights. METHOD: Draw weapon. Try not to shoot yourself in the process. Point muzzle of weapon in such direction that bullet will likely strike the OTHER GUY. Fire weapon before other guy can fire his weapon, or before he can physically overcome you such that you are combat ineffective. There is an astounding advantage that comes from putting bullets in the OTHER GUY first. I'll work out the fine points while he's bleeding.

Last edited:

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
Although, I'll admit I don't much "practice" shooting precision pistol (defined as anything that involves creating some sort of "sight picture" relative to the target. Don't have time for it. Can't afford the ammo. I let my mind focus on the DEFENSIVE aspect of pistol shooting - which by my standard FORBIDS use of the sights. METHOD: Draw weapon. Try not to shoot yourself in the process. Point muzzle of weapon in such direction that bullet will likely strike the OTHER GUY. Fire weapon before other guy can fire his weapon, or before he can physically overcome you such that you are combat ineffective. There is an astounding advantage that comes from putting bullets in the OTHER GUY first. I'll work out the fine points while he's bleeding.
You remind me of

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #

Yeah... Pretty much.

Except they talk about pointing the thumbs toward the target. That's not as bad as the pointing the thumbs upward. But still no good for me.

I grip a pistol with a strong-hand closed-fist grip. Same fist-grip as I would use to punch a heavy bag, or knock a fool out. My thumb naturally bends 90 degrees at the first joint, and such that the last joint of the thumb is pointing almost exactly DOWNWARD. The weak hand is then clamped over the strong hand, and with the thumb of the weak hand locked over the thumb of the strong hand. This gives me a very solid grip on the pistol, but does result in groups that strike left of the point of aim if the sights on the gun are centered.

Maybe I'm just a freak of nature, or maybe I'm just an un-coachable asshole.

Either way, I'm not going to hold the gun in a way that orients my thumbs in what feels like a completely un-natural hold. If I gave a flying fuck about "target shooting" with a pistol, I might allow some queer grip that caused point of impact to better conform to the "sights centered" configuration. Until my field of fucks regarding target shooting bears fruit, I've got three very viable options.
- Don't use the sights at all
- Adjust the sights such that the rear sight is pushed as far-right as possible in the dovetail (or replace with dot-sight)
- Aim to the right (Kentucky windage) if I have to take some careful, technical shot

Mrbadshot

Contributor
FALaholic #
Ok guys... I bashed the front sight back to the left and got it to move a bit,seems to be centered now .Shot it carefully from bags and she shoots a lot closer to point of aim now.But I did notice that when shooting off hand I do push towards the left. Im not a new shooter but definitely need to practice.Thanks for the input!

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
As GP stated above in addition to my 20+ years experience as an Firearms instructor, the shooter's grip is the most common error that results in POI issues. Working on proper grip and trigger finger placement Will most likely correct most accuracy issues. The attached videos are easier to watch than it is for me to write the same stuff down.