• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

HELP ... Show me some Wood !! .. NEED SOME HELP .. READ PLEASE

SPEEDGUNNER

Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
GETTING A WOODY

Since we are on the subject of having a woody I thought the time no better than now to get my dilemma out there and seek some help. I have a G1 build with crappy wood that I want to try to make look better. Do I try to work with the existing wood, or find new (better) wood? I also need a buttplate (which I think is easy enough) and I just noticed when I was quickly snapping a few pictures there is a big wookie in the bottom of the pistol grip. This rifle shoots, so I never really worried about the wood until I got "wood envy" looking at the beautiful butts (is there something wrong with me) pictured in this thread.

Suggestions??

Pictures aren't the best, I was hurrying to get them on here while the thread was fresh. I think you can see why I would like to improve my wood position.

Thanks.

1MOR

FALaholic #
Depends on what you want to end up with. Your wood looks well suited to a G1 restoration. Keep it as it is for a while and shoot it a lot. It will come to ya. I like the carving, which you risk if you try to do any time of sanding. I would get a good digi camera with macro capability and practice taking a lot of pics.

Some of the refinished wood that you see here on the files, ended up being refinished as it was a mess to begin with. Much of the wood that came in with the Turk G1 kits had splits, had burns, and was heavily oil soaked. Yours appears to be in very good condition with some oil accumulation in the usual places. Fal buts and PGs will quickly split if any type of water cleaning or rinsing is used.

jeffrey

FALaholic #
Re: GETTING A WOODY

SPEEDGUNNER said:
Since we are on the subject of having a woody I thought the time no better than now to get my dilemma out there and seek some help. I have a G1 build with crappy wood that I want to try to make look better. Do I try to work with the existing wood, or find new (better) wood? I also need a buttplate (which I think is easy enough) and I just noticed when I was quickly snapping a few pictures there is a big wookie in the bottom of the pistol grip. This rifle shoots, so I never really worried about the wood until I got "wood envy" looking at the beautiful butts (is there something wrong with me) pictured in this thread.

Suggestions??

Pictures aren't the best, I was hurrying to get them on here while the thread was fresh. I think you can see why I would like to improve my wood position.

Thanks.
SPEEDGUNNER,

With all due respect to the gorgeous creations of BlueMountain and Ironwood, yours is the real deal...

Check out how the stock was cut to follow the curve of the grain for strength.

Strip that wood down, get the grease out of it , stain it with a med. cherry color, and rub in 15 or
20 coats of tung oil. Don't use sandpaper, just steelwool so you keep all the cool character marks.
Voila! No More will you covet another man's wood.

Ironhandjohn

FALaholic #

My Israeli light barrel FAL w/ factory Israeli wood, plus a few shots w/ $10 Brit handguards I got at a gun show.

The builder is a good friend of mine, and he built this rifle from a kit he found buried under a pile of crap at Knob Creek 10 or 12 years ago. The stock was almost black from the oil/grease/gunk it was stored in, and he said he steamed, stripped, and waited, for weeks for all the gunk to work its way out of the wood. He says it wouldn't take a stain for a long time.

The rear contour isn't factory but was smoothed out for greater comfort when shooting prone. The metal ferrule would beat his skinny face under recoil, and the standard Israeli rear sight would hit his glasses, so that's why the Canadian 1000 meter disc, too.

My favorite, and so far, only FAL...

Last edited:

SPEEDGUNNER

Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
RESPONSE TO JEFFREY - AND ALL

Thanks for the encouraging words, your comments make perfect sense. I have had good luck in the past using a 50/50 combination of turpentine and boiled linseed oil on military wood, a pad of 0000 steel wool and some elbow grease will work miracles on an oil stained Garand or carbine stock. Would the same formula be successful on the FAL wood?

I need a new buttplate, and it sounds like the buttstock tool is a must - I see DSA has pretty good prices on both. What is the difference in my stock that it does not have the ferrule at the receiver edge like many of the Imbel stocks I see for sale? Is it because it is a G1? I guess I need to look for some wooden handguards, rifle has the US compliant bipod cut plastic ones that work fine but just don't look quite right.

I'll work on some better pictures over the weekend.