• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Hardshell gun case that comfortably holds two scoped FALs / AR1-10 ?

Tak

FALaholic #
Anyone know who makes a case that actually fits two large scoped FAL or AR-10 type rifles?

When I spoon up two of my big-boy rifles, I measure I need 18" inches width and 48" length for them to be comfortable and not clanking into each other.

Bigger cases I'm seeing like this Pelican ( https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020125263?pid=867119 ) only have 16" interior width. I *might* be able to jam the two rifles in there but the top turrets would be scraping or hitting and I don't want that !

I just want something less expensive I can tote these guys around in instead of carrying multiple cases to the range.

M829A3

FALaholic #
There is an expensive one that stacks them on top of each other in seperate compartments. Cant remember the name of it, but it was 360 USD when I saw it last week.

base704

Vampire Pilot
Contributor
FALaholic #
Pelican.
And/or Storm Cases.
I think one of the two companies bought the other, so they are one in the same.
Water tight. Air tight.
They have a pressure relief valve for flying.
Many have wheels. Collapsible handles.
Same customizable foam as mentioned earlier.
Some may think they're a little on the pricey side, but. . .
I've mentioned in another thread that I believe in most cases, you get what you pay for.
YMMV.

Tak

FALaholic #
I think what I want maybe doesn't quite exist.

Everything from Pelican is a max 16" wide

I found this nice wide case which is listed for bows, but it's too short ( 44" x 18" ) for the FAL.

This one from Plano might work if the support pillars don't interfere with placing the rifles, which might be a problem with 'tactical' type rifles, but otherwise it's got the right dimensions ( 52.5"L X 17.25"W ) and is cheap enough.

I'm not going on airline flights with it so it doesn't need to be super duty, just good for going in the truck back and forth to a range a couple times a year. I may roll the dice on the Plano.

Otherwise I'll have to see if I break apart the AR will the pieces fit in with the FAL in a typical 16" wide case. I prefer not to disassemble things for transport though.

Invictus77

1C16:13
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a really nice Pelican for flying and a cheapo Plano for the range, both of which hold a scoped FAL and a non-scoped FAL. Neither will take two scoped sticks.

If you are not needing it for flying, I would go with the Plano and not just for the price. I have not weighed them but I would guess the Pelican empty is at least twice the weight of the Plano. I had two FALs in the Plano two weeks ago for the KY match and even the cheap Plano with two sticks is damn heavy.

An even larger Pelican case than mine with two scoped sticks would be a heluva load to lug around (n)

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
An even larger Pelican case than mine with two scoped sticks would be a heluva load to lug around (n)
This here. ^
My experience says I'll never, ever use a case big enough to comfortably hold two scoped MBR type rifles because a case big enough for the two plus their weight is too heavy. Only if I planned to fly would I consider such a case and then it would have wheels. No way in hell am I lugging around 60 freekin lbs of gear like that plus everything else a mile and a half through an air port.
At one point I actually had a two rifle case cut out for only one rifle plus a bunch of support materials and tools. Lugged it to the range a handful of times then parked it and never used it again.

M829A3

FALaholic #
I have one of the dual Planos. I found that pair of scoped 1917s, will fall against each each other when stood up. It was damn heavy and ungainly size wise. I have gone to individual cases. YMMV

cjjtulsa

FALaholic #

M829A3

FALaholic #
It's similar, but actually had a hard latchable divider between the compartments. That one looks pretty good, as well, with the foam in between. I don' think the side by side versions are good, you need crazy pressure on the foam to keep them in place

cjjtulsa

FALaholic #
It's similar, but actually had a hard latchable divider between the compartments. That one looks pretty good, as well, with the foam in between. I don' think the side by side versions are good, you need crazy pressure on the foam to keep them in place
The SKBs have a hard divider with foam on both sides. I like them, but they are heavy-ish. Do have wheels, though.