• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Harbor Freight Predator Generators

hardass

FALaholic #
The thing is that I live in a residual part of town, on a tiny lot. I don't think I can have a large tank in the city.
My dual fuel gen. is 10500 / 8550 running propane . With a 5gal / 20# bar-b-q tank it will run 7hrs avg. I bought 2 ..20 gal / 100# tanks, they're about 4' tall and a couple ins larger dia. I use the smaller tanks first then if need arises, will swap to the larger ones.

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
I don’t really have any experience with the big generators but I can tell you this. My dad was a general contractor in South Florida for 40 years and he tried just about every type of portable generator out there for his construction crews. Hands down the most trouble free ones were the Hondas. I still have a 2500 that I used in construction work back in the late 90’s until 2005. In 2005 I changed careers. I never saw that generator again until my dad sold his house in 2020. That generator had sat in a shed in his backyard in South Florida. It had never been started since I put it in there in 2005. It was all rusted out and my dad was gonna throw it away. I actually took it and brought it to a friend of mine who owns a small engine and mower shop. He pulled the carburetor apart and sprayed some ether in it and the thing started on the first pull. So he clean the carburetor real good for me And got it working again and JB welded some holes that were in the gas tank on the top. The thing runs like a raped ape still.

allamerican401

FALaholic #
Honestly, In a shtf scenario, generators don't make much sense. Good for keeping the milk good during a blackout.. But my great grandparents kept milk & butter down in the well. I can see a small engine & generator/alternator hooked to a gasifier or made to run off ethanol with a still, but not much else interests me. Even that could be used with a creek water wheel or a windmill. You'd still need batteries (that eventually go bad). Any gas or petroleum fuel will run out eventually.

Better to learn the old ways of how to survive without power. Stock up on salt & blankets.

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
Honestly, In a shtf scenario, generators don't make much sense. Good for keeping the milk good during a blackout.. But my great grandparents kept milk & butter down in the well. I can see a small engine & generator/alternator hooked to a gasifier or made to run off ethanol with a still, but not much else interests me. Even that could be used with a creek water wheel or a windmill. You'd still need batteries (that eventually go bad). Any gas or petroleum fuel will run out eventually.

Better to learn the old ways of how to survive without power. Stock up on salt & blankets.
I certainly understand your position. But our generators have been a blessing when Hurricanes knock out your power for 2-3 weeks. Florida is not very comfy in the summertime with no AC. We ran our refrigerator, a wall banger AC, and fans. I agree though in long-term when the fuel runs out your luxury Runs out.

FIANNAFAL

FALaholic #
Portable gen sets are for transitional times. Think of them as a weening off the
Grid or until service is restored.
Mine are primarily used to power water pumps for garden irrigation. Power tools for repair or construction work.

In trying times a little comfort can go a long way. I want to keep my family as comfortable as possible for as long as I can.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Portable gen sets are for transitional times. Think of them as a weening off the
Grid or until service is restored.
Mine are primarily used to power water pumps for garden irrigation. Power tools for repair or construction work.

In trying times a little comfort can go a long way. I want to keep my family as comfortable as possible for as long as I can.

Life is always better with;

As long as the juice last!

1663920070463.png

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #

I don't believe the op said anything about SHTF. This is about keeping the fridge cold and climate comfortable until the juice comes back on.
Everyone here is smart enough to know if everything goes Escape From New York fossil fuels and electricity come to an end indefinitely and for the foreseeable future.
Few today know how to survive in the early 1800s and fewer have the desire or intestinal fortitude to learn how. All subjects for another thread.
For the actual topic at hand, anyone who can secure some form electricity during a brief period when nobody else has any is going to be far ahead of others until said juice comes back on.
A standy genset is the new indoor plumbing and running water. Eventually every home will have one and the need for it is only going to be further reinforced in the coming decades as brown and black outs are caused by increased stress on the grid by tree hugging libs and electric cars coupled with the systemic destruction of fossil fuel industry.

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Few today know how to survive in the early 1800s and fewer have the desire or intestinal fortitude to learn how. All subjects for another thread.
Actually I have pondered this. I doubt we can live like it was the early 1900s these days. Especially comparing it to people who lived in rural areas like my grandparents.

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
Life is always better with;

As long as the juice last!

View attachment 231415
This is kinda like déjà vu. After hurricane Andrew our power came on after about two weeks and our neighbors one block over still didn’t have power for over a month. I guess because they run on grids or some shit. But I remember we used to brew pots of coffee and then get containers from the neighbors and bring pots of coffee to them and they loved it 👍🏻 Another thing I remember was when the power was out the good old plug in the wall house phones still worked. I don’t know if that’s so true anymore because a lot of house phones run through cable lines now.

Rudolf

Contributor
FALaholic #
They can be good if you take care of them and be diligent on the non ethanol usage.
Drain it if not being used after two weeks or so.

Clean it and there was a huge thread on ARFcom on changing some stuff on the 1st gens to make it more reliable.

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
They can be good if you take care of them and be diligent on the non ethanol usage.
Drain it if not being used after two weeks or so.

Clean it and there was a huge thread on ARFcom on changing some stuff on the 1st gens to make it more reliable.
Ethanol sucks. I only store non ethanol gas. And I run it until it runs dry of fuel when I store it.

FIANNAFAL

FALaholic #
My Honda 3.8 em has ran on Ethanol since Katrina. Never stays In long enough to go bad.
Routine maintenance is the key.

Edit to add: coffe suxs ! If you had washed a d bussed as many cups as I did growing up you would not touch the stuff.
The smell of day old grounds dumped in trash still haunts me.

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #
My Honda 3.8 em has ran on Ethanol since Katrina. Never stays In long enough to go bad.
Routine maintenance is the key.

Edit to add: coffe suxs ! If you had washed a d bussed as many cups as I did growing up you would not touch the stuff.
The smell of day old grounds dumped in trash still haunts me.
I kind of feel the same way about milk. When I was in my 20s I worked at a dairy processing plant for five years and it just kind of turned me off to milk.

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
Cpap is a low current device. Better to have battery and inverter for a power source than a gen set.
I don’t disagree, and in fact run my CPAP that way when camping. However, if I am running the generator to keep the refrigerator cold, and the little Honda is idling away in “ECO” mode, why not plug the CPAP in as well?

FIANNAFAL

FALaholic #
Any time a gen set is running use it to the max load. Recharge anything you got.
If the auto idle is still on vary load to match small stuff.
If you want the idle run set electrical priorities. Other wise load away, but k ow Amp limits. Amp clamp are cheap now.

allamerican401

FALaholic #
I don't believe the op said anything about SHTF. This is about keeping the fridge cold and climate comfortable until the juice comes back on.
Everyone here is smart enough to know if everything goes Escape From New York fossil fuels and electricity come to an end indefinitely and for the foreseeable future.
For the actual topic at hand, anyone who can secure some form electricity during a brief period when nobody else has any is going to be far ahead of others until said juice comes back on.
A standy genset is the new indoor plumbing and running water. Eventually every home will have one and the need for it is only going to be further reinforced in the coming decades as brown and black outs are caused by increased stress on the grid by tree hugging libs and electric cars coupled with the systemic destruction of fossil fuel industry.
You are actually completely correct. I just live in the Midwest where the biggest thing is usually tornadoes. I would like to buy a little portable generator like a couple of my buddies have. I have actually met people that think a generator is something for shtf, or that fuel lasts forever, but I got off topic.

Actually a few years ago when my grandma was still alive, we were going into the -30°F's. I lived with my grandparents for a few years when I was a teenager and had someone bring a couple intermediate sleeping bags down from my old room, just in case. Generators aren't a bad idea.

Now coffee mentioned.. You can buy something cheap, new or old, to make cowboy coffee over a fire or even buy a fancy press. I would still recommend to coffee addicts that they try growing some and move them indoors during winter. A small greenhouse can be wood fired & great for trade, like tobacco plants. I might even do both, though I stock up on instant decaf and should stop smoking.

Elwarpo

FALaholic #
I have good luck with the firman tri fuel generators.

I refuse to buy generac. Had one in for repair for 5 different things until the warranty expired (breaker shorted, exhaust split, pull wheel broke off, gas line leaked, and carb replacement. Only ran the thing for about 60 hours total. Seemed like every 2 to 3 timed you ran it something went wrong. Down again with a defective breaker/power switch.

BriarJumper

FALaholic #
I have a Champion 2000 Watt inverter genny that can be paralleled. It is pretty darn quiet. They also have a dual fuel version. Amazon, $738. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J9NZ9D7/?tag=akfnfal-20
I have their dual fuel version and love it!
Caught it on sale at tractor supply for 399$ delivered

very quiet, much quieter than my two harbor freight gens and obviously much better built

the engine is a Yamaha clone like many other gens if that size, excellent design

small Lp tank can run it for 30+ hours, has low oil cut off, fuel saver mode, etc
LP doesn’t go bad and gum up carbs either, no need to purge carb, add fuel stabilizer etc etc

inverter gens don’t have to run a constant rpm to maintain proper frequency, they can vary rpm based on load

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-watt-dual-fuel-inverter-with-paralink-200960

one caveat, don’t expect to start on first pull on Lp, more like 4-5th pull but no big deal

Last edited: