• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Harbor Freight Predator Generators

yovinny

Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
Fwiw..
When the tornadoes ripped through KY last year, they turned off natural gas to huge areas for extended time periods.. My buddy in Dawson Springs was without NG for a few months..

LYCAN

FALaholic #
Jokes aside, (Back to the Future fan references) I think someone already noted it - the Smaller Hondas at least, can be mated/paralelled with a 2nd Generator of equal specs. I don't recall if they can go beyond 2 being mated.

I also invested in the tri-fuel kit, of which only 2 are best known. I actually returned the first, after doing much research - as the 2nd option simply had a *slightly* better edge.

Tri = Gasoline/Propane/LP (Nat Gas)

Jaxxas

Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Jokes aside, (Back to the Future fan references) I think someone already noted it - the Smaller Hondas at least, can be mated/paralelled with a 2nd Generator of equal specs. I don't recall if they can go beyond 2 being mated.

I also invested in the tri-fuel kit, of which only 2 are best known. I actually returned the first, after doing much research - as the 2nd option simply had a *slightly* better edge.

Tri = Gasoline/Propane/LP (Nat Gas)
The Yamaha's as well......

Jaxxas

Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I Have heard amazing things about the Yamaha.

Somr

Heard they coming after Honda, with some sweet upgrades.

Uphill battle, but good for them at least making an effort.

Thats what encourages innovation.

I've had it for 10 years now, only actually needed it a dozen times or so, most of those false alarms, 2-3 times more for power tools. Worst power outage was maybe 3 hrs. I think I've changed the oil like 4-5 times, and I throw in a jar of gas and let it run until it runs out once or twice a year or so. I also like the fact that it has a valve from the tank you can turn off and let the genset run the gas out of the fuel system.

Probably the most interesting thing is all of the neighbors comment on it when its running, in a SHTF scenario all of my neighbors will be lined up with extension cords in hand................

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Noise abatement;

When running an emergency jenny,,,,having a jenny for emergencies, pick up three or four standard wood pallets and a couple sheets of 1/2 inch plywood.

Plywood sheet, one side of each panel.

Fire up your generator, then set the pallets around the thing on three sides, facing your living space/home, four panels, if ya want to be nice to any nearby neighbors. Wiring three panels together,and leaning in the 4th works well for extended periods of use, for refueling etc.

A tarp over it, if raining works fine too.

This cuts down the noise by a LOT, directs it up, and not back at you in the house.

Hay bales works great too,,,,,just have to back them off a little more for fire danger.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Foam insulation board is fairly cheap and does well to deaden sound. Just screw in pallets. Use washer for better longevity on foam boards.
Paint to please Mrs or Karen next door.
A lot of folks out this way off grid,,,,just build a small, 8x8,,10x10 building,,,run flexible metal vent tube for exhaust, store their gas, etc inside the building when running the jenny vs their solar set ups.

Placing a small fan beside the jenny helps cut down heat buildup too.

Sound waves travel in a straight line till they hit something,,,, foam board sounds good as well.

Whatever one decides to do,,,,,if everyone around you is without power, plan to secure your jenny and fuel 24/7.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Foam insulation board is fairly cheap and does well to deaden sound. Just screw in pallets. Use washer for better longevity on foam boards.
Paint to please Mrs or Karen next door.
The Vietnamese with the three foot high dallisgrass nextdoor probably don't care. Noise abatement is more about OpSec and keeping the generator from sprouting legs!

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I have not endeavored to research the local codes pertaining to bulk propane storage but I'm not sure I'd want a large tank this close to the house.
Around here rural folks have been living next to 500 or 1000 gallon tanks for decades. I've never heard of problems. Most farms have more than one but then they aren't right next to the house either.
Brother installed a genset at his new house, had the gas co install a second dedicated 500 gallon tank just for the genset. I'd like to do this as I can still vividly remember when an ice storm killed the power in my county for three weeks. At 4 gallons per hour at speed it isn't going to last long if the outage is extended like that. The gas co has assured me that if power was out for an extended period they'd be able to come out and fill the tank whenever needed but I don't want to bet money on it.
And especially if the tank was already low when the outage occurred. Empty in a day or two, maybe before they could come fill it.

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
Back in the real world, my little Honda 2k used a grand total of 4 gallons to keep us in power for the 5-6 days we were out with Hurricane Michael. I only ran it at night to keep the fridge cold and to run my CPAP. Infrequently during the day so the kid could nuke a weenie for lunch. Luckily thee time of year was right so I did not need heat or A/C.