• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Half cows, entire pigs: Families are buying meat in bulk to save money

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Weighed in at 800 lbs
(We grain them quite well the last 60 days.)
I looked up my Notes and it was 205# cut/wrapped.
So yeah, THAT is why we will be cutting our own now.
We had local butcher back near the farm, that was well known for shorting, but just enough one wouldn't notice it. 800# calf not likely to dress out like the larger cattle, bigger proportion of bone to meat, but you still got robbed.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
There a book series called "Where there is no doctor" 3rd world conditions .Also one on Dental. Mainly aimed at Peace Core types. My biggest take from them was sanitation.
I saw most of these ailments at one time or another, working medical missions in Africa, or first off in SE Asia working with the locals we supported.
Its brutal what poor diets bring to humans.
30 yrs old, looks 70, toothless.
Multiple vitamins, lots of them, are in my storage.
Tools to pull teeth, also present.
Areas with poor diets, lack of medical care, seem to attract poor sanitation conditions.

Its always been true, lack of clean water, proper food, and clean bodies, kill more folks than bullets.

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
Still buying well marbled Denver steaks at $7.99 a lb....6.99 on sale so its still liveable but I've cut restaurants and fast food completely out of my weekday routine unless I'm traveling. 2 years ago a McDs sausage breakfast biscuit was $0.99.....now it's $1.49. No more $5 footlongs at Subway, the cheapest cold cut combo is $8.50. Even at the China*Mart deli most sliced meats are $8-12 a pound. I like everything toasted anyway so I get cheap thick cut bread. One bright spot in this mess is a rack of full sized pork ribs is back down around $15 bucks from a ridiculous high of about $24.....and that's a dinner for me and the boy and a lunch for me the next day.

Last edited:

Black Blade

FALaholic #
1000s Of Cattle Are Disappearing From The US Food Supply Chain As Global Starvation Plan Accelerates

Don’t you think that’s strange that thousands upon thousands of cattle heads are simply vanishing from our food supply chains every week? Ranchers are warning America that a meat recession is coming as our beef cattle herd continues to shrink by large numbers. A major sell-off this summer led to the liquidation of countless livestock herds, but the mass slaughter hasn’t stopped during the fall, and it is in fact, at historical highs for this time of the year. Now, farmers are telling us that it will take years for supplies to come back to normal levels, and this means we will have to get used to paying much more expensive prices for meat from now on. This situation is triggering widespread alarm across the food industry, and in today’s video, we’re going to investigate what is driving the silent collapse of the largest agricultural industry in the United States.
BLACK BLADE: We have been freeze-drying hamburger and Italian sausage recently. Also sliced grilled chicken breast. We can't live without our charred mammal flesh (at least not as happily). Meat prices are higher and going higher still.

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #
Freezer Burn sux .. The stores have plenty of meat and IF they run out I'll start hunting again .. You guys are a tiny ray of sunshine .. ;)
I often wonder how long the wild game would last in a real emergency.

Deer, turkey, ducks, geese and squirrel would quickly get scarce, I think. No wild hogs around here.

Everybody who could hunt or trap or snare would be competing for the resources.

Given a month or two of teotwawki, we'd likely be hard pressed to rustle up some wild game. It'll be killed or scared off.

Then pets would "disappear" and eventually long pork feasting would kick in.

Musing here... :unsure:

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I often wonder how long the wild game would last in a real emergency.

Deer, turkey, ducks, geese and squirrel would quickly get scarce, I think. No wild hogs around here.

Everybody who could hunt or trap or snare would be competing for the resources.

Given a month or two of teotwawki, we'd likely be hard pressed to rustle up some wild game. It'll be killed or scared off.

Then pets would "disappear" and eventually long pork feasting would kick in.

Musing here... :unsure:
Back during the Depression, deer almost went extinct in East Texas and armadillos got hard to find. They called them "Hoover hogs" and they're supposedly tasty if well prepared. It's been a really hard year on dove and squirrel here with the drought. If TEOTWAWKI happens, people will be eating bark and grass, then each other. There aren't enough wild places and wild animals to go around any more.

I'm still hoping to take a deer or two and/or maybe a couple hogs this year. My hunting partner got on a lease in Hardin County so no annual deer hunt this year. It'd sure be nice to have that back up meat in the freezer, even if I do grind it all up later.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Back during the Depression, deer almost went extinct in East Texas and armadillos got hard to find. They called them "Hoover hogs" and they're supposedly tasty if well prepared. It's been a really hard year on dove and squirrel here with the drought. If TEOTWAWKI happens, people will be eating bark and grass, then each other. There aren't enough wild places and wild animals to go around any more.

I'm still hoping to take a deer or two and/or maybe a couple hogs this year. My hunting partner got on a lease in Hardin County so no annual deer hunt this year. It'd sure be nice to have that back up meat in the freezer, even if I do grind it all up later.
You're correct!
When I was growing up in the far western Carolina's 50's/60's, I NEVER ever saw a deer, they were all gone.
Every bubba has the same idea, kill a deer and eat.
X number of Bubba's and X number of deer.
A simple math problem.

Side note;
Mama and I took the Jeep and went off pavement 25 miles back into Ash Canyon, just north of Benson AZ.
Mescal exit off 1/10 due north.
We'd seen it, never explored it.
Ash canyon has year round water, and 5 miles off pavement, never seen so many white tail deer groups, 10/15 in each!
All looked well fed, healthy, and without fear of the Jeep.:)LOL
Looked like two large ranches controlled/owned the whole area, posted, no hunting, lovely side trip for anyone in AZ...

jugrunner

Alpha-Mail
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
There's no real hunters left .. The people I see shooting, can't .. Not much competition around here .. !! .. I'll leave the hard shell possums to the weak and disadvantaged ..

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
All of the above is why I rebuilt our Hobart meat saw and picked up a #22 grinder.
That and the fact that last year's whole (Jersey) beef yielded less than 200 pounds from a local meat cutter.
At least now I will KNOW how much goes in the scrap.
This is why I always butcher my own deer. I only get about 60-65% of the meat when I take it to a processor.

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
Which reminds me: aren't some countries in Europe outlawing farming because Green Regulations? I could swear I saw that somewhere, but could be fake news.

TheOtherChris

FALaholic #
We vacuum pack our meat using a chamber vac packer and not a food saver.
Meat doesn't freezer burn if it is not in contact with air.

Freezer Burn sux .. The stores have plenty of meat and IF they run out I'll start hunting again .. You guys are a tiny ray of sunshine .. ;)

TheOtherChris

FALaholic #
A lot of people like that Avid Armor one. The pump is oil free so no maintenance to speak of but I find them to be a lot noisier and they won't pull down vacuum quite as long as an oiled pump.

I have the MeatYourMaker chamber vacuum sealer and have found it GREAT for casual or sustained use.

Whatever chamber vac you get is lightyears better than a sucker sealer.

We have a vacuum sealer but this is what I am looking at next:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YLGRZFJ/?tag=akfnfal-20

Jaxxas

Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I have a Vacmaster vp215, working great after 6+ years. Expensive but I burned through like 3 different food saver types before I finally made the leap. Change the oil every 8 months or so, probably gets used at least 3 times a day.....

TheOtherChris

FALaholic #
I have a Vacmaster vp215, working great after 6+ years. Expensive but I burned through like 3 different food saver types before I finally made the leap. Change the oil every 8 months or so, probably gets used at least 3 times a day.....
That Vacmaster is a beast!
Great machine that will do well for as long as most people would need it.

We use ours all the time as well. Besides packing meat we use it for everyday stuff too like broth, soup, guacamole, whatever.
Broth.jpg

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
I was watching a show where archeologists were supposedly living like Victorian farmers for a year. Those people knew how to store meat for months on end without electricity.