• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Half cows, entire pigs: Families are buying meat in bulk to save money

Black Blade

FALaholic #
Half cows, entire pigs: Families are buying meat in bulk to save money

1661708879318.png

The number of Americans buying meat directly from farms in bulk, though still low, is higher than it was before the pandemic, said Tonsor of Kansas State. Early covid-related shutdowns and shortages prompted many Americans to look for more direct, local sources of meat. But more recently, sticker shock at the supermarket is prompting a specific type of family — with the money and space needed — to buy and store hundreds of pounds of beef, pork or chicken at once. In interviews, cattle farmers across the country said they were fielding more requests for direct orders. Some were reconfiguring their businesses altogether to accommodate half- and quarter-cow purchases.
BLACK BLADE: My brothers and I have bought whole steers and hogs in the past and it does save money as well as adds sufficient protein to our food storage. "Going in" wih others can also work for people to save money and get more meat for less by "going whole hog" as it were.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Making what today,,,,,meat is still available, small investments in the future, a great idea.

Add onions, carrots, potato flakes, and a little meat,,,,makes for a good pot of stew.

Throw in a couple of biscuits and sweat tea,,,,

A man would be living high on the hog! ;)

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I actually spoke with a rancher about this a year or so ago. He was in his 70s at the store buying up a shitload of beer. I was laughing at it in the parking lot and he said he didn't drink but it was for his boys who ran his ranch so asked him about what his thoughts were on a side of beef. He told me that he thought it was cheaper to buy in the store once you figure the loss of trimming and packaging. There are a lot of cuts that aren't really all that great that end up as hamburger. AFA as beef, I only eat steaks and hamburger. I started adding up the amounts of what are on the cow that I eat and didn't really make sense. I don't care for a roast that much, and there is only so much hamburger I can eat till I'm sick of it. A pig is not that great, I only eat bacon and will eat a ham, but there is a lot of work curing it. I'd be better off growing chickens and learning how to eat it more often though I don't care for anything but white meat. The wife likes leg and thigh quarters so that would work out

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I was thinking just now. I eat probably 200 lbs a year of meat wife probably 1/2 that. 300 lbs @ 10/lb is 3K. Plus I get what I want as in sirloin at the least and ribeye at the best. Hell that's beer money.

But at least the cops can eat well when they get your stash. Can't find the clip of where Hesston absconds the food they are eating.

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Last half we had butcher this past June averaged just under $3.75/#. You can’t even get hamburger for under $3.99/#, in my AO anyway. Wife unit and I aren’t big pot roast people, i like a good beef stew occasionally. I make jerky out of the cuts we don’t fancy, put some on the smoker. Don’t care how you do your math, that’s some cheap eatin’ compared to store bought.

Pork is different. We get in on an employee sale with a good friend who works with Seaboard Farms, spring and fall. Never cared for the cure our local butcher put on the bacon. But, I do miss the fresh side on the barby, can’t find fresh side in grocery stores.

Most butchers that I know are so far out in getting a butcher date on an animal, it’s insane. They no longer process deer, that is history. They are booked solid year round with domestic animals

TheOtherChris

FALaholic #
All of the above is why I rebuilt our Hobart meat saw and picked up a #22 grinder.
That and the fact that last year's whole (Jersey) beef yielded less than 200 pounds from a local meat cutter.
At least now I will KNOW how much goes in the scrap.

okiefarmer

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
All of the above is why I rebuilt our Hobart meat saw and picked up a #22 grinder.
That and the fact that last year's whole (Jersey) beef yielded less than 200 pounds from a local meat cutter.
At least now I will KNOW how much goes in the scrap.
200#, holy shit!!’ Was this a smallish 500-550 weight calf? If it was a 1200# animal, you got robbed.

richbug

FALaholic #
200#, holy shit!!’ Was this a smallish 500-550 weight calf? If it was a 1200# animal, you got robbed.
If it was all burger and a 7-8 CWT boney jersey, that doesn't seem too out of line. Dairy breeds don't yield nearly as well as beefier breeds. We finish some for ourselves, but really put the grain to them and see 60ish% hanging weights from a well fed Holstein or Brown Swiss. 50% for a Jersey isn't unheard of. Then figure 60% or so once you age and grind.

The packer we use still can't get any help. He has a couple wrappers that are reliable, but only generally counts on himself and family for the other work at the moment. Dates are tough to get.

FIANNAFAL

FALaholic #
Keep in mind,,,,,,these were somewhat common in the last depression where people were often hungry.

There a book series called "Where there is no doctor" 3rd world conditions .Also one on Dental. Mainly aimed at Peace Core types. My biggest take from them was sanitation.