• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Gun store rant

1911Ron

FALaholic #
I'll say this upfront I get it that gun stores are a business and that they need to make money.
I get it that you will not get full market value on trade ins for a used gun, but they think that there used guns are gold f'kin plated and all you have is hammered dog shit and they will only give you pennies on the dollar I'll keep my stuff and go home.
It's no surprise why small gun stores go out of business the way they conduct business.

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I'll say this upfront I get it that gun stores are a business and that they need to make money.
I get it that you will not get full market value on trade ins for a used gun, but they think that there used guns are gold f'kin plated and all you have is hammered dog shit and they will only give you pennies on the dollar I'll keep my stuff and go home.
It's no surprise why small gun stores go out of business the way they conduct business.
I've had similar experiences and feel the same way so I haven't traded or even asked about trade price on a gun at a LGS shop in over two decades. There are simply better avenues.

1911Ron

FALaholic #
I've had similar experiences and feel the same way so I haven't traded or even asked about trade price on a gun at a LGS shop in over two decades. There are simply better avenues.
Yeah I've tried to avoid it myself but I thought that I could reduce my inventory while acquiring something that I needed. In the end I walked and will rethink my options.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
Yeah you'll generally get a better deal if you take your gun to one of the buy back programs. Get yourself some high top sneakers or gift certificates or something.
Brandon Herrera was trying to take cheap Turkish shotguns to one because they'd give him around $50 more each than he paid for a trunkload.

TerryN

FALaholic #
Yeah, I've been saying the same thing for... decades.

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Stock up on boxes and bubble wrap.

Gonebroker penny-auction.

USPS money orders ONLY.

Everything ships from UPS store uninsured as “gate hardware”

If it goes missing in-transit, oh well.
Send them their money order back.
Works so far.

Realistically, you are risking MUCH MORE just driving to the titty-bar. Risk is part of life.

If it’s super-valuable, pay the LGS to be your shipping agent, and send it fully insured.

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
The LGS that I do business with I’ve never bought anything that they had on the rack or, shelf. I use them exclusively for transfers because their fees are reasonable and, occasionally I’ve asked them to purchase for me because they can buy at their dealer pricing at a price that will save me about $20 to maybe $30 occasionally but they’ll still make some money off me for their effort. I do buy some things off the rack such as pistol/rifle cases or other sundry items. Oh and, they have a small, five station range there that I sometimes shoot at. The guy that runs the place is a retired Boeing aeronautical engineer and, he and I have quite a bit of background experience and at the time we were both working there was just as acquaintance but otherwise didn’t work together. He does quite a bit of gunsmithing work and seems to have a good reputation for the work he does. The only experience in that regard was I had him install a Smith & Wesson barrel on a M10 for me one time because I didn’t have the fixturing for it and he did a fine job. But, I won’t do any trading with him because, I know the drill and, he knows I know the drill.

FAL4888

Contributor
FALaholic #
I live in an area where there are a ton of LGS's 98% douche. Fortunately my ffl is just within a gun shop and when I sell (which is rarely) I just have him ship it. They are like vultures every time I go in.

Pluribus

Testudo Sicario & Mediocris Albus Diaboli
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Cheap AR, or cheap shotgun, belt and suspenders guy myself, got both, but one is good enough. ;)
That’s me, suspenders to hold up my britches because I haven’t got enough butt to hold my pants up, a belt to hold up my Roscoe/holster and, mag pouches. I told that to my lady physical therapist just about three months ago when she noticed both and saying it was a bit redundant and, funny until I explained. She and her husband are 2A people so, she understood after that. Another time, I was a couple minutes late to my appointment and mentioned that it took a little bit longer to get undressed in the parking lot before I came in. She was a bit shocked at that comment too lol, until I also explained that to her. 🤓

Wichita‘s local newspaper, which is no longer printed in Wichita but, in Kansas City, Kansas will no longer allow firearms to be advertised by individuals. Funny though, places like Sports Academy or, Dick’s Sporting Goods can place their ads. Go figure.
Nowadays, if I have a firearm to sell which, has been a very long time, I advertise here on their FALfiles. There have been two occasions in about the last four years that my LGS has connected me with somebody that he was acquainted with and, regular customer that was looking for a certain item and, knew that I had that item and was interested in selling. It was more of a personal favor for myself as a regular customer that he knew as well as the other individual that was a regular customer that he knew.

Armsdad

FALaholic #
Had a small gunshop open near me .Was a nice guy too. But he didn't last 6 months. Small town, he didn't get many customers plus on new guns it's hard for them to make 50 bux a gun. I tried to tell him stop foolin with new crap and buy good quality used guns at auctions n such so he could make more profit and still offer stuff people like for a decent price . And also list his stuff on gunbroker ,But nope. He didn't listen. Went broke pretty quick. Couldn't make enough for the rent of the building ,taxes, ins, etc...let alone pay himself. I wouldn't deal in new junk unless they gave me a big discount for buying multiples . All the pawn shops here are a joke now. Can't buy anything at pawned prices anymore. They want new full blown retail plus 25 bucks seems like for used stuff. So they can offer you a deal at $20 off sticker price. 😆

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
There used to a lot of talk about "we must support our LGS" in the days of monthly Shooting times, Guns and Ammo,,,etc,,,,,,,,,OK,,,,,,,that's all well and good, admirable even,,,,,,,,,,,,,but when the LGS charges 100.00 for any item we can buy online for 25.00 from someplace else,,,,sorry,,but my concerns about LGS goes right out the window. I'm not in the social welfare business.

I was in our larger one back when AIM was dumping police surplus Glock 22's for 225.00 and they had the exact same firearm in the case, with an AIM marked box, same condition, everything, but had 500.00 marked on it, and new ones, for 600.00 +!

What chaps my ass worse than anything, is what they(LGS) do to new shooters, that don't know any better.
Selling a brand new Model 29 Smith 4 inch to some 100 pound little old lady for full retail price to defend herself with.
With two boxes of plus P plus ammo too!

She shows up to learn to shoot, with this cannon she'll never be able to control, nor conceal.

They had a return policy and straight back it went.

She is now extremely happy with her little Glock 19, pretty good with it too!

LGS's can and often are, they're own worse enemy.

TerryN

FALaholic #
Here's my take on the gun shop bidness. Most people don't buy a new gun every payday (you know the ones I mean - "normal" people). They might buy 1-2 boxes of ammo, a holster, a couple of mags, or a cleaning kit every payday, but not a gun. And that's where you should make your profit, not by hosing them on the new gun that they might buy 1-2 times a year. And when they do buy a new gun, you try for the add-on sales - ammo, mags, holsters, etc. It makes sense to me, but when I once told a gun shop owner 'hey, I bought a gun both of the last two times I was in here,' he responded with 'yeah, and I buy groceries every single time I go to the grocery store.' Sorry, not the same thing at all.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Your LGS (or any other business) can ask any price to sell, or make any offer they like to buy or trade.

We have a free market economy (thankfully) and you always have the option to say yes or no.

That Sir is absolutely true!

But when they put themselves out of "business", don't come crying about shooters not supporting them.

OLDMANPBK

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Yes and it seems that many businesses in general and gun sellers in particular are too short sighted and dare I say stupid to realize that the invisible hand of capitalism cuts both ways.