• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Gun safe advice needed.

medicmike

Blocked Felicia
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
How was the 1 successful penetration achieved?
They drilled a series of holes around the dial and handle and peeled the outside layer of the door. Must have taken them hours. We were pretty sure that someone knew what was in it. Safe was full of gold and silver, the owner lived in California and the safe was at his retreat in Oregon. I delivered the new safe that his insurance company bought him (high end BF rated safe replacing an old mid-range fire safe).

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
If you have the luxury of space, you could build a small walk in vault out of reinforced block walls and buy a vault door. A good door can be had for less than a big safe and gives you a lot of nice storage options.

krf
This is what I wish I had done. I bought three big Liberty safes.

I would WAY rather have that money back and buy a vault door.

QAA

FALaholic #
I have a couple of Liberty safes, but the house has not burned down and nobody has tried busting in, so I can’t swear to much about them. I do know from 40 years of working construction that this kind of thing: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-60-in-0-Drawer-Universal-Storage-Top-Chest-60R-OS/207058098 is hell for stout, cheap for the amount of storage, and better than waiting to figure out what kind of safe is best. One of these will ruin the day whatever you have: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...RCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-305718712-_-310331871-_-N&
The hope is they already sold the tools for Crack

QAA

FALaholic #
Thanks guys every bit of this input has helped in my decision. Never underestimate the power of human ambition when it comes to desire of goods.
Basically, all a safe does is buy time, and some buy more than others. I have learned that most safes have a weak point on sides top and back, the door being the strong point. The concrete wall surrounding a safe seems to be a great option.

I was thinking about that. Imagine the batteries going dead in a critical moment, or even worse an emp situation.
Emp the world's over and I got bigger issues

manicagent

FALaholic #
The hope is they already sold the tools for Crack
12 in thick concrete walls would solve that problem, however, I have had experience with some determined burglars who, over a two week time frame, chiseled through a 2 foot thick foundation at our family shop. They broke in and loaded 2 work trucks with as many tools as possible and drove through the gates without notice.

GIshooter

FALaholic #
For the OP, this has been discussed before many times. Too bad the search function doesn't work for sh&()%.
Do not waste your money and time on crap.

Good tips here to avoid most common pitfalls:

Buy a commercial fired rated TL15 or TL30 safe. Start talking to the locksmiths in your area. Many used ones go cheap. In my area you can get them in the $250-$500 range if you're patient. Several locksmiths I know have multiple in different sizes available.

Ratings should be inside the door. There will be an Underwriter laboratory tag with the fire rating (if insulated) and same with the burglary rating.

Last edited:

Tread Me Not

Contributor
FALaholic #
Multiply your guns x2 and buy that size. I like mine. It's a moderately priced Champion safe. I store all sorts of stuff in it. My dream would be one of those large industrial cabinets to store ammo that can be locked. Most people don't realize that ammo is easier to sell than guns and is a significant part of your investment.
Yup. You need a safe twice as big as you think you need.

Tread Me Not

Contributor
FALaholic #
Just be sure to avoid an electronic lock - good old manual is much more reliable
Yes, especially in case of EMP.

My safe originally had an electronic lock and by the time I realized that’s not a good idea, I had to pay almost half of what the safe was worth to swap out the lock. Once it’s installed you don’t want to go through the process of replacing the entire thing.

it takes 4 times + as long to open now but the piece of mind is worth it.

I do have an electronic lock on my home defense safe but that is for one gun. It does have a key too.

Last edited: