• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Gold up past $2,427.30 USD new high

Black Blade

FALaholic #
Considering that the National Debt rises a $Trillion every three months now. Servicing the debt will become impossible soon enough and many other nations are now dumping US Dollars. That's why foreign Central Banks and Billionaires are now snapping up silver and gold. The USD is losing value and there's no way out except for buying up hard assets for wealth preservation.

jimmbob

unreparated
Contributor
FALaholic #
I was lookin into buying some a few months ago. Don't really know the best way to do it.
beware of ebay BIGtime, feedback means nothing there as a seller with 20,000 positive feedback can be a crook

best place is a local coin shop that's honest and not overpriced, compare prices to the good big internet sellers such as jmbullion.com . JMbullion one of the best priced and honest places I've bought from on the internet and the place I buy from if I buy over the internet.

Also, the local coin shops prices over spot vary from shop to shop so I used to call around to 3-4 shops to compare pricing before buying. Now I have my favorite coin shop I found that undersells everybody consistently so he gets all my business now

Toddstang

FALaholic #
Are coins really the way to.go or small gold.bars? I don't want to pay for any coin collector mark up. Just want the gold. Not interested in collector value .
I have a few local pawn shops that I buy, sell and trade with. The coins are more plentiful but the bars seem to be harder to find.
They always go by current value when I deal with them, which to me is a better value than using the online broker/seller.

cotter

FALaholic #
Lead is the average man's gold.
This. Gold seems to be for the 'in crowd' but never really touched on is how you buy a loaf of bread with your gold bar/rare coin. Not to mention service fees to buy/sell that miscellaneous gold. Ammo, components, firearms and related items much beter. Add in some perpetuating livestock, spices, booze and you will have a much more liquid and necessary portfolio. Advice worth exactly what you paid for it...

C-ya

One day at a time...
Contributor
FALaholic #
I was given a quarter ounce gold coin as a wedding gift, so that got me started giving silver for a graduation gift. I give a 1 oz American Silver Eagle of the graduation year to high school graduates that I know. My daughter and her boyfriend are graduating high school this spring (well, kinda - they are in a 3 year Early Middle College program where they get an associates and officially graduate high school after the third year as the program only pays for college if they are still a high school student, so they don't officially graduate their senior year). I do this with the explanation that it is worth what an ounce of silver is worth to hopefully get them thinking about precious metals and other forms of currency. I don't want to know if anyone has spent it as a dollar, but I bet a couple have.

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
If the SHTF, a loaf of bread will be worth about one gold coin.

People will loot homes looking for the gold........
Gold is like old cars............garage art...upside down is normal

Can't spend it, or trade it fairly, in a bad situation..................

.05/$100 if you are lucky.

Gold is simply a vanity purchase.........especially at 2k/oz

jimmbob

unreparated
Contributor
FALaholic #
This. Gold seems to be for the 'in crowd' but never really touched on is how you buy a loaf of bread with your gold bar/rare coin. Not to mention service fees to buy/sell that miscellaneous gold. Ammo, components, firearms and related items much beter. Add in some perpetuating livestock, spices, booze and you will have a much more liquid and necessary portfolio. Advice worth exactly what you paid for it...
Yeah fer sure. better to invest your funds into survival items but once ya have enuf of that stuff silver and gold are a great place to preserve your wealth with and have a backup in the future.

As for buying a loaf of bread with it, that won't be easy with a block of gold or silver which is a GREAT reason to stack 90% USA junk silver. Widely recognised and in pert near any denomination you want. Makes bartering easier.
Best deals on junk silver is in the dime, quarter and fiddy cent pieces. The Morgans and Peace dollars go for a lot more(price for the actual silver) because of nusimatic value than the smaller denominations but are also great to have.
But in the longrun, toilet paper is the best investment if ya have enuf room to store it....

jimmbob

unreparated
Contributor
FALaholic #
I buy from eBay all the time, but I only buy from dealers or mints, that I trust. For instance Scottsdale, they sell on eBay and they’re also the maker.
Yeah, scottsdale mint - did'nt know they were on ebay, they're legit bigtime.

ebay has some GREAT deals if you know the honest legit places to buy from. Too bad there's not a real list somewhere of them as their feedback rating on ebay means nothing.

I've bought car parts from ebay sucessfully but only after I researched the seller and saw it was a real Mopar dealer in Texas

jimmbob

unreparated
Contributor
FALaholic #
I was given a quarter ounce gold coin as a wedding gift, so that got me started giving silver for a graduation gift. I give a 1 oz American Silver Eagle of the graduation year to high school graduates that I know. My daughter and her boyfriend are graduating high school this spring (well, kinda - they are in a 3 year Early Middle College program where they get an associates and officially graduate high school after the third year as the program only pays for college if they are still a high school student, so they don't officially graduate their senior year). I do this with the explanation that it is worth what an ounce of silver is worth to hopefully get them thinking about precious metals and other forms of currency. I don't want to know if anyone has spent it as a dollar, but I bet a couple have.
That's cool, I also like giving old coins to my friends kids for their birthday in the hope of getting them hooked on coin collecting. A great gift is an old silver coin minted 100 years prior to their BD or any non silver is cool too like indian pennies or buffalo nickels which are still cheap

Colts4me

FALaholic #

Armsdad

FALaholic #
Hard to know what to do. $2k in ammo or guns/parts..when I started panning gold about 20 yrs ago, gold hit 400 ish an ounce. So it is worth 5x what it was 20 yrs ago. But an sks rifle has done the same and easier to sell or trade. Land and houses are about double what they were 20 yrs ago, I'm thinking maybe jus a little gold to look at will do me. I'd only wanna pay for the gold value if I did coins and not the added coin collector value if I can buy coins by weight and at spot price somewhere I may get some or just buy the small bars. ?? I worry about who I'd sell or trade gold to when shtf for real. So I don't wanna buy alot of it. I don't have alot Xtra to invest but I'm 46 and need to start thinking about these things and doing what I can to leave all I can to my daughter who will have it even harder than me to make a living.

Last edited:

Toddstang

FALaholic #
On another note, I'll look at local auction sites for jewelry or silverware.
I've been lucky and got really decent prices for "scrap", that still has value per ounce.

C-ya

One day at a time...
Contributor
FALaholic #
Yeah fer sure. better to invest your funds into survival items but once ya have enuf of that stuff silver and gold are a great place to preserve your wealth with and have a backup in the future.

As for buying a loaf of bread with it, that won't be easy with a block of gold or silver which is a GREAT reason to stack 90% USA junk silver. Widely recognised and in pert near any denomination you want. Makes bartering easier.
Best deals on junk silver is in the dime, quarter and fiddy cent pieces. The Morgans and Peace dollars go for a lot more(price for the actual silver) because of nusimatic value than the smaller denominations but are also great to have.
But in the longrun, toilet paper is the best investment if ya have enuf room to store it....

I started collecting and buying junk silver when I was at a rec facility on base and a guy couldn't get the snack machine to take his quarter. I swapped him and found out why: it was junk silver, and weighed less than a modern quarter. Must have been a sensitive machine. Anyhoo, score for me!

Colts4me

FALaholic #
Long time ago as the younger family members were getting married I would give them a silver dollar. Told them to always carry it in their wallet and they will never be broke, then added that money finds money so start building here with this dollar.

jimmbob

unreparated
Contributor
FALaholic #
Better figure out how to carry your gold.

here's a pic of me after I had my gold melted down...

teeth.jpg

gotta be carefull when fueling up at night tho, one hand on the fuel nozzle, the other on the pistol