• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Go To The Gas Stations And Stock Up Now Because Things Going To Get Even Worse In The Months Ahead

Black Blade

FALaholic #
Go To The Gas Stations And Stock Up Now Because Things Going To Get Even Worse In The Months Ahead

The latest price increases are just one more supply chain issue facing the U.S. economy right now as prices on all kinds of goods keep going up. But instead of protecting our fuel reserves, we’re exporting record amounts of distillates even though we’re in the middle of a historic fuel shortage. In March, April, and May, exports of gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel from the U.S. Gulf Coast were up by 32 percent compared to the same time in 2021, data from market-intelligence firm Kpler showed. To make things even more complicated, our aging power grids can’t handle the growing demand anymore. Last month, the North American Electric Reliability Corporation warned that we would face rolling blackouts this summer. Apparently, widespread power outages have already begun.
BLACK BLADE: Topped off my diesel supply but I should stock up more. "Interesting Times" ahead ...

Black Blade

FALaholic #

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Fuel supplier called yesterday about topping off diesel/gasoline tanks, told them all were full, plenty of correct additives and gasoline recently had nitrogen blanket refreshed. Told me per date last filled diesel tank it was reaching age that could begin "phase separation" where microbes can grow in specific layers as it separates. Many mistakingly call this algae which I said have additive to keep algae from growing which they reminded is good but even the name on bottle is misleading as you can pick up the microbes from separated fuel at pumps where fuel is not turned over often enough.

Sending tech out this week to "agitate" fuel in my diesel tanks then recommend we burn off over half, then top off with fresh, even the extra 55 gallon sealed drums keep to roll in back of truck in case need to take long trip (such as taking big TopKick 6x6 to a hurricane zone on FEMA activation) so not reliant on pump fuel may be concerned about. Stopped at mom & pop truck stop in eastern Colorado once, got tank of fuel that required $1,000 in service along with me swapping main fuel filter every few days a clogged or froze to get it home. Then had to have tank dropped, steam cleaned, fuel system serviced again to finally get all purged and clean. Not burning much diesel of late so friend is going to come fill 100 gallon tank on his service truck twice on both work and home tanks which drops each to 50 gallons and will have fuel company top off with 200 gallons of fresh fuel and treat for storage knowing our diesel consumption has slowed while filling.

Tech is also going to agitate then test the gasoline in both gasoline tanks for oxidation and other issues. Again they recommended we burn at least half the gasoline, top tanks with fresh and when voiced concerns about amount of ethanol in current fuel assured me still using same 92 octane ethanol free gas as in past which each batch is tested after pull off the head before goes in their short/mid term storage tanks. Said more meticulous about QC testing now that following Katrina. Asked about the sealed five gallon cans of aviation and racing fuel have hoarded in safe places.

Told me to check lot numbers, dates if find then call when foot healed enough but did look up history saying odds are some is reaching age still plenty good to use but wouldn't want to store another few years before need/use.

Have buddy that uses race gas in his boat with five Kieth Black Hemis said would pay current rate as was burning fuel every weekend. Another friend has two planes at airport plus two in hanger behind his house flys off grass strip to airport said will take the aviation fuel at current price. When able to walk carrying the five gallon drums will deliver to friends then pick up fresh replacements at suppliers warehouse. Instead of just prepped want to get freshest possibly can properly stored so if hold say another year then start slowly rationing off will not poison our trucks or equipment.

Even ordered an two cases of Sthil premix for two strokes in quarts along with five gallon cans now we are running lawn equipment weekly. During summer pour from gallons till empty open can in fall and swap to quarts as consumption slows thus smaller container with broken seal. Hired lawn guy know to do house till foot heals and had them deliver mower, weed eaters, blower, two chainsaws, etc to service center for full professional service (send out every other year and do myself years not farmed out) as techs at place use are honest, will check seals/etc in carbs, make sure all is tiptop plus sharp.

Last looked (when turned off tank following winter) at work propane tank was 35/38% so called to have it topped to 90% as 350/380 gallons won't get shop through winter and if careful can get two full winters off a topped propane tank at work. May service main whole house generator today since stuck at home and can do with no more effort than going down stairs to reloading room. Fuel is high but going to do the full deal of freshening up before it gets worse.

Brasky

FALaholic #
HTF can one "stock up" on gasoline? Shit rots in a month, storing it is hazardous as hell, getting it from a barrel into a car has a whole set of risks to itself. This is a bad idea unless one wants to add a couple of 5 gallon cans to the garage.
This week I dug out a push mower I got for free probably five years ago. Same gas was in it as five years ago. A few pulls of the cord and it fired up and ran perfect. I have yet to see an example in person of old gas making an engine not run properly

ByronF

FALaholic #
Kids had a go-kart with B&S engine. If not ran for a couple weeks it would sputter and not take throttle. Reliably, I'd drop the fuel bowl and there would be water in the bottom. Dump it out, open fuel petcock for a second, and would run fine again.

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Does not rot unless buy cheap fuel and store improperly. Buy 92 octane ethanol free, add a quart of marine grade Stabil per 100 gallons, put as much in tank as possible leaving room for contraction and expansion. Then purge all the "atmosphere" out of tank with nitrogen, some will vent out with expansion but rest lays on top of fuel like a "blanket" this why industry calls this a "nitrogen blanket" and if no oxygen comes in contact with the fuel it does not oxidize. Every couple months on average (more in summer, less in fall thru spring) take nitrogen tank and repurge. Have stored gasoline 2.5 to almost four years in this manner and was perfect when needed.

When buy racing fuel (if fuel in tank were to be left over four to five years will pour a five gallon can or two of race fuel to sharpen up what's in tank) to bump octane level if notice mileage is a bit off or a high compression engine begins to knock or ping. Have not had that issue even with four year old fuel but it's there if need. When go get aviation fuel at airport in five gallon cans or 55 gallon drums once park them purge the empty space with nitrogen, seal and forget. Don't have to vent 5s and 55s as keep in storage shed with window A/C unit keeping temp below 80° maximum so fuel doesn't expand on super hot days and bulge or split containers. Fuel goes bad when people are uninformed or lazy in storage practices.

As to getting from tank or barrel have 13.8 volt DC pumps in all big tanks (don't want to move diesel to gasoline or vice versa) that have same dispensing device as retail pump. Best thing is it flows 50% faster so if need to pull a large load can move it fast. When/if big tanks empty, remove pump mechanism, adjust length of pickup and thread in bung of drum. If build cradle to hold drum horizontal can have filled from "top" bung and have even a commercial water spigot to gravity feed through short section of hose into tank or five gallon cans. Even moving five gallons at a time beats no fuel.

Following Katrina know companies had to park half their trucks or more then plan routes very carefully. We conserved but kept all trucks on the road, never had to wait in half mile line for nasty low octane fuel with ten gallon limits and people getting in fights over place in line. Live like a sheep and the wolves will eat you while the sheep dogs sit back and watch while protect only their flock.

Last edited:

hkshooter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
This week I dug out a push mower I got for free probably five years ago. Same gas was in it as five years ago. A few pulls of the cord and it fired up and ran perfect. I have yet to see an example in person of old gas making an engine not run properly
I'm glad that has been your experience. Here, let me show you an example of what people on earth have to deal with.

This is an example of rotted, varnished fuel. Most likely not treated at all, sat all winter and "wouldn't run properly" this spring. Yeah, there's a jet under there.
20220623_162016.jpg

Here's an example of the corrosion that can develop because of alcohol related water in the fuel that's allowed to sit all winter.
20220623_162020.jpg

Now you can't say you haven't seen such a thing anymore.

I remember back in the day when my dad just let his equipment sit all winter, poopooing the need for any treatment for the fuel. Usually the equipment would start after a little effort and run all season. This being back when there was more actual gasoline in fuel than additives to save the planet.
Those days are gone.

Black Blade

FALaholic #
RED ALERT: Entire U.S. Supply of Diesel Engine Oil May Be Wiped Out in 8 Weeks

1656889363138.png

Chemical manufacturers of diesel engine oil additives have declared force majeure and have ceased supply operations to the diesel engine oil manufacturers. Those manufacturers combine base oils with “additive packages” to create diesel engine oil. You can see a full list of these additives at InfoMak.com: Antioxidants, anti-corrosion agents, dispersing additives, antirust mechanisms, friction modifiers, EP additives, antifoaming agents, antioxidants, etc. Without these additives, diesel engine oil manufacturers cannot produce the final oil products that lubricate diesel engines. Because key manufacturers of these additives have ceased operations, diesel engine oil can apparently no longer be produced in the USA, at least not until these necessary chemicals are restored to full supply. The current supply of diesel engine oil is expected to be wiped out within 4 – 8 weeks
BLACK BLADE: The latest EIA Report was suspiciously delayed last week (first time since the 1970s). Coverup? Maybe, maybe not. Still, we expect to see energy prices much higher from here.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm glad that has been your experience. Here, let me show you an example of what people on earth have to deal with.

This is an example of rotted, varnished fuel. Most likely not treated at all, sat all winter and "wouldn't run properly" this spring. Yeah, there's a jet under there.
View attachment 211877

Here's an example of the corrosion that can develop because of alcohol related water in the fuel that's allowed to sit all winter.
View attachment 211878

Now you can't say you haven't seen such a thing anymore.

I remember back in the day when my dad just let his equipment sit all winter, poopooing the need for any treatment for the fuel. Usually the equipment would start after a little effort and run all season. This being back when there was more actual gasoline in fuel than additives to save the planet.
Those days are gone.
Every small engine mechanic I know will attest that ethanol and the resulting varnish/gumming up kills small engine carb function.

I use fuel with ethanol, but a shitload of Stabil seems to allow me to run without issue for 2-3 years.

Last edited:

Colts4me

Banned
FALaholic #
RED ALERT: Entire U.S. Supply of Diesel Engine Oil May Be Wiped Out in 8 Weeks

View attachment 214077

BLACK BLADE: The latest EIA Report was suspiciously delayed last week (first time since the 1970s). Coverup? Maybe, maybe not. Still, we expect to see energy prices much higher from here.
At that point, when diesel ain't available, the famine begins.

Add to that, what better time to attack America when we have no diesel?

Last edited: