• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

FR8 Sight Question

squid8286

FALaholic #
I have an FR8 that I have had for years and never fired. I am guessing that the v notch is the 100 meter setting on the rear sight. What are the other three, and what direction do you go to get them? Seems like there is one click to the left of the v, and two to the right, or maybe I have it backasswards.

Venom6

FALaholic #
Yes, the V-notch is 100 (meters), first click left (counterclockwise) is 200, next click counterclockwise is 300. From the notch, one click right (clockwise) is 400. These are all approximate. The tapered front post covers several humanoid targets at 400; and ammo matters a lot, both for group size and point of impact.

gevarm96

FALaholic #
Yeah everytime I take my FR8 out I have to fiddle with the sight to remember which one is which.

I never liked the v notch.

I opened up the apertures just a tiny bit & filed the front sight down to where the tip of the post is only .040” which makes a substantial difference in shootability.

Like many surplus 308 rifles I’ve seen my FR8 seems to REALLY like 130gr flatbase bullets. My personal favorite is the federal 130gr sost but they are getting hard to find as a component. They are dang accurate & devastating on “varmints” the bc is terrible, but its not a long range rifle. I only shoot it out to a quarter mile occasionally.
IMG_1470.jpeg

Mine is pretty rough but its one of my favorite plinkers.

Edit: remember there is a TINY lock bolt in front of the front sight you need to loosen before you make any adjustments. I soaked mine in kroil for days before an attempt was made to loosen it. I use an eyeglasses screwdriver & it worked very well. I then made my own sight adjust tool out of a cheap screwdriver.

Last edited: