• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

For you readers of history friends, check out David McCullough

Invictus77

1C16:13 - J1:9
Staff member
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
A new guy we hired recently and I had a lot of windshield time out in NV a couple of months ago, and reading became a topic of discussion. We found we both like to read history, so Stephen Ambrose came up. My new guy out there said "if you like Stephen Ambrose, you need to check out David McCullough". He was not wrong and I'm now in my second of his books.

My first was, The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West.
-This one is about settling the (at that time) Northwest Territory, a wilderness empire northwest of the Ohio River containing the future states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Now I am 47% through, The Path Between the Seas, The Creation of the Panama Canal.
-Section one was the French false start. Section two was Panama's independence from Colombia and the American acquisition of the canal zone. I'm now starting on the third part, the "building the canal" section. Fascinating stuff I have never heard nor thought about beyond the steam shovels digging the canal.

Waiting in the wings is a third DM book I bought, Mornings on Horseback: The Story of an Extraordinary Family, a Vanished Way of Life and the Unique Child Who Became Theodore Roosevelt

If reading of history fits in your interest and you like Ambrose' work, David McCullough is worth a look.

slavicshooter

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
On the subject of the Panama canal: The cement plant where Mrs.ss's and my ancestors worked after recruitment from Europe is right up the road from us. The plant, at the time owned by Atlas Cement, also provided cement for the Panama canal. It's still in operation. Member Bug Tussell has seen it while staying in Hannibal. We had a short meet-up at a monument dedicated to the foreign workers and their communities.~ss

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #

History is everything, but today the bulk of people are about as well read as they were in 1678.

Slaughter

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
You should read Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage, I HIGHLY recommend it! The logistics and politics and relationships with the various indian tribes along the way gives a view we were NEVER taught in school. Politics in Jefferson's era are discussed in detail "History" wasn't taught like this!

I am currently reading "The Heart of Everything That is" which is the bio of Red Cloud and his battles against the US Army. Notably he was the only leader who consistently beat the US Army in battle. The book gives a look in depth of the indian warrior culture and of particular interest is the acceptance of gruesome torture and dismemberment as an integral part of their warfare. The dismemberment of Custer's men wasn't anything unique to ANY indian warrior. Still barely into the book - and the discussions of integrating horses and rifles into their warfare is very interesting - maneuver, mobility, logistics and of course hunting. Anybody who thinks of the indians as a gentle, peaceful and kind people should read "The Heart of Everything That Is"

1676300972683.png
1676301520863.png

Thorack

Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Well,

I havent read as much as I should have but the History book that left the most indelible mark on me was "The Hot Gates" by Steven Pressfield. I give copies to every junior officer I had under me and work with.

I know the author took some literary license with the history, but it only makes it better.

Thorack

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Indiginous Native Americans are forced to live on Reservations; that should not have happened.
Karl Marx, Hitler and Stalin copied the Plantation and Reservation system from us.

It is what is planned, for unarmed white Americans.

Bug Tussell

FALaholic #
Dee Brown - The American West. 1994 This one caught my interest right away.
Charlie Sirringo - A Texas Cowboy. 1885 - Fascinating autobiography by a cowboy. Lots on New Mexico history. He recounts the deadly encounter of Oliver Loving and some Comanches. He and a cowboy named Wilson holed up in a stream in a dug out bank while arrows rained on them. Loving got wounded in the arm. Wilson headed out for help - arriving barefoot and weaponless to get help. Loving meantime floats downstream past the threat and gets rescued but dies of gangrene later after refusing to have his arm amputated... He is promised to be buried in Texas by Goodnight and he does so... - kinda sounds familiar don't it?

Both are good reads.

cotter

FALaholic #
Just a thank you for the great reading suggestions. I have bought enough McCullough and Ambrose to get me thru the winter and have an ever growing list for more... It's nice to find most of these relatively inexpensive second hand online. Just finished Drury/Clavin's Daniel Boone Blood and Treasure, excellent read. It was Morgan's Raiders by Brown before that, another good one.

Keep 'em coming 👍

cotter

FALaholic #
So it's reading season again... Read Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides which was excellent, about Kit Carson and war with mexico. Actually did a couple on Custer before that, Crazy Horse and Custer by Ambrose and The Last Stand by Philbrick both good reads with two different perspectives. I seem to be stuck in the 1800s, exciting times 👍

So, what ya reading this winter?