• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

For the Busse fans

Andy the Aussie

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yes read about it. He is a bit of a tard, watched about 3 mins of a vid he made a year or more ago on something else and tuned right out. I know Jerry B asked him for the parts back for testing but he has refused.

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Wonder if he'd let me field test his mom? I'd stay strictly to his demonstrated protocols.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
Yes read about it. He is a bit of a tard, watched about 3 mins of a vid he made a year or more ago on something else and tuned right out. I know Jerry B asked him for the parts back for testing but he has refused.
I agree - send that shit back. That edge was bad however, as I thought INFI's strength was that it rolled but did not break. I watched a number of his vids and notice his earlier stuff is not consistent with later testing. Still, he does test knives that are cheaper and appear more durable. His testing of TOPS knives makes me reconsider buying another, since they also pitch near-indestructibility and come out badly. Buck fixed blades and Ka-Bar actually did pretty well, especially for the price.

Andy the Aussie

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Yes the consensus was a bad HT. Happens to almost every brand at some point, he also dislikes America which is why he wont return it for analysis I think who knows. Noss did lots of destruction testing, not sure of he point but the masses seem to like it. I have rolled Infi hitting things that an knife shouldn't but have never chipped one. He didn't sway my position. ESEE are my other go to brand. I won't buy Tops on principal but they do make a decent blade.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
Yes the consensus was a bad HT. Happens to almost every brand at some point, he also dislikes America which is why he wont return it for analysis I think who knows. Noss did lots of destruction testing, not sure of he point but the masses seem to like it. I have rolled Infi hitting things that an knife shouldn't but have never chipped one. He didn't sway my position. ESEE are my other go to brand. I won't buy Tops on principal but they do make a decent blade.
I would note a bad heat treat is not a ringing endorsement of Busse, considering his premium pricing - wondering if he's losing his touch. There ought to be a way to test that before it leaves the door, even if only by sampling the blades for destructive analysis. I also don't like Busse's random production approach, where nothing is a cataloged item and whenever he gets a bug up his ass to do a run, he does it, even for a knife that made him like the BM - you'd be more consistent if you did things consistently.

Andy the Aussie

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I don't believe any production maker can test HT on every blade, economically anyway, I don't work there but I would be shocked if they are not sampling and testing from batches. I have read about a bad HT on many many makers, some far far more than others. Bark River is a prime example. That he makes so many and you don't see many issues probably says more. They do have a unique business model and it's hard to argue that it doesn't work for them. Hell I f#cked up one of mine (that I bought second hand and which had been ground into a different shape and profile by the previous owner) by using the tip to pry up pavers (in was a smaller S5), I taught myself to sharpen on it before that (it had the recurve to prove it) and JB asked for it back to repair for me. He has not gone broke from returns yet.

brunop

Refresh Key Masher
Staff member
Platinum Contributor
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Okay - I want to know what a knife is supposed to stand up to in the first place.

I didn't love the idea that smashing a knife into a stone or an iron pipe could cause 'shattering' of the entire blade, and that definitely makes me think 'heat treatment problems': that's a 'no-go' or a "0/10" in my book (knife blade coming completely apart...).

But he beat the shit out of that blade, and he put that knife tip-down in a log and tried to bend it in half... only to have it spring out AND still be straight. That's good stuff.

Everyone in manufacturing knows that 10X cost does not give 10X performance - it's not a 'straight line' curve (or 'law of diminishing returns...). If a $60 K-Bar gives you 80% performance of the $600 knife, you may want to buy plenty of K-Bars. If the $600 knife fails catastrophically under stress that would NOT cause the $60 knife to fail, you should DEFINITELY buy K-Bars and quit the expensive brand.

But if you repeatably and reliably get 20% or 25% or 30% better performance - under the most extreme stressors - from the $600 knife, there's a group of people that actually need that (small though it may be...), and there's another group of people that WANT that (and will pay for it...) even though the likelihood of that happening to them is very, very low.

That seems reasonable. But I want to see more (equal) testing of other Bussekin knives... because if I'm not mistaken, the heat treatment of the INFI steel - and it's performance due to the Secret Sauce - is it's main selling point.

RG Coburn

FALaholic #
I have probably 4-5 of those old chrome-looking scuba diver knives ,that come with the plastic sheath you strap on your leg...that would probably survive his stupid "tests". You could bash them on rocks,beat them against a pipe,stab cart bodies. The problem? They suck for holding anything close to a sharp edge. They are basically,a prying tool with a point,in the shape of a knife.
Ever watch DBK on youtube? I have,and for entertainment,it's amusing. But a knife,to me at least,is a tool with a purpose,and one should endeavor to not abuse that tool,lest it be dulled or broken by mis-use.If I want to beat a piece of pipe,I'll grab a sledgehammer. If i want to beat a cement block or a rock,I'll grab a sledge hammer.If I want to split a piece of knotted-to-shit firewood,I'll grab a sledgehammer...and a splitting wedge.
This is the first,and last,time I will ever watch this guy who busted the Busse into pieces. Wait....I'll re-qualify that.....I would love to see him crash landed onto some remote Aleutian island with nothing but...his busted up assed Busse kinfe as a survival tool. There,dumbass. Survive...

Exit308

Veritas et Aequitas
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Would you use the table of a Powermatic table saw as an anvil?
Do you routinely use your power drill as a hammer?
Do you try to make your fork perform as a spoon?
Would you use your wood chisel to skin an elk?
Fark no.
A knife is a knife. It has one or two cutting edges and they are for....................cutting.

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
Would you use the table of a Powermatic table saw as an anvil?
Do you routinely use your power drill as a hammer?
Do you try to make your fork perform as a spoon?
Would you use your wood chisel to skin an elk?
Fark no.
A knife is a knife. It has one or two cutting edges and they are for....................cutting.
But abuse is telling in some ways. I never really expected the Busse to survive unscathed, but I was expecting maybe only a broken tip or a bent blade. I believe it failed way too soon - the guy has tested $50 Finnish Puukkos that lasted much longer.

Andy the Aussie

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
FWIW, this JoeX character is shutting down his YT channel, so Gerry must've found some guys to go "talk" to him or something.
......... he just posted an email he received from JB...

JOE X5 hours ago
Jerry BUSSE wrote me! U all need to read this!!!! @BusseKnifeGroup

I just read where you are leaving YouTube. I am very sorry to hear this. We had planned on sending you a couple of the knives that we had discussed earlier for your testing. These models have their geometry tuned for your intended use, and I have no doubts that you will be blown away by the toughness and overall performance of INFI.

We are currently in the process of making these blades and they should be ready to ship in approximately 6-12 weeks. I realize that you are no longer making videos for the public, but if you are still interested in breaking some blades just for fun, then we would love to hear your feedback. We don't need your tests to be filmed because your feedback will only be used for our internal research purposes, NOT for advertising. We will NOT mention your name or that you did any of the testing. If you would like to have a couple of these knives for your own personal use after testing, we would be happy to send you some. To be clear, these "personal use knives" are not meant to be a payment of any sort, just a thank you for your time.

We are looking for your honest opinion and believe there is much value in your feedback. If this sounds like something that you might still be interested in, please let me know.

If not, I wish you all the best in your future endeavors,

Jerry Busse

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
Somebody got mad at him, so Jerry Busse did a smart thing to make it clear it wasn't him... unless that was the whole plan, but I won't go out of my way to think he's an arch Machiavellian. Doing dumb shit knives should never be subject to is still informative to a degree.

Andy the Aussie

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
My understanding is that Joey is in the Austrian Military and has signalled this in his vids. Looks like the command got wind of it and felt it reflected poorly (his over the top antics and language "poooooooosies" etc) and said make a choice.