• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

FN-49 Survey Has Been Discontinued

saki302

FALaholic #
just found this thread..

I just found this thread- and just bought my FN49 a few weeks ago- might as well put in my info too :)

Egyptian
S/N: 244XX
Crown crest on receiver
no scope cut
no middle swivel
no reinforcing stock crossbolt

The serial numbers of the parts do no appear to match (different arabic markings- numerals, I suppose). Th ebolt looks liek it's cut for the FP stop, though no stop is installed. It came with the 2-pc firing pin.

The nose cap doesn't appear to be welded in place as far as I can tell.

The windage adjustment on the rear sight only has a screw on the right side- it looks like it might be missing the left side screw (if there was one). Anyone know where to get a replacement?

I cleaned it up, but haven't fired it yet. The stock seemed to be original- it was very banged up, and dirty (one side was blacker than the other like it sat in something). During cleaning, there was a lot of what looked like sand trapped in oil/grease in the rifle. The bore is ever so slightly rough.
It also has the zinc washer in place of the unit disc.

-Dave

Last edited:

Goose52

FALaholic #
saki302 - Thanks for taking the time to submit your data. However, for the data to be usable, I need either the exact serial number or no more than one "X" at the end of the number.

Good deal on having the two-piece firing pin.

As was mentioned, there are no current sources for the windage screws. Other people have been looking as well. The only option at present is to buy a complete rear leaf (just to get a 50 cent screw ...).

Goose

georgeg

FALaholic #
Goose:
FWIW, I've received an email from your publisher saying that they've shipped my copy of your book. Looking forward to reading it.

Goose52

FALaholic #
I hope you enjoy the book. Let me know what you think as you will be one of the first people on the Files to see it. In fact, I haven't seen the actual book yet as it just came out of the printers yesterday ... I have only seen PageMaker printouts. So, you will see it before me!

Interesting about eBay !

Goose

Last edited:

Goose52

FALaholic #
After nearly three years, I am discontinuing my FN-49 survey activity. My thanks to all the people who took the time to capture and submit the data on their FN-49 rifles and related equipment over the past 34 months.

The results of the survey, along with several thousand hours of other research, were documented in a recently published 200 page book on the FN-49 (see www.fn49.com).

Best regards,

Goose

Last edited:

Goose52

FALaholic #
For those that were interested, signed FN-49 books are now available from the publisher.

Also, the web ordering feature, and the publishers FAX line, are operating and he is receiving orders on both.

The publisher mentioned that he has a "holiday special" and is offering free shipping through Jan. 31 - mention you saw it on FAL Files when ordering.

Regards,

Goose

DRBirch

FALaholic #
Removal of Argie thread protector

OK, bought the signed copy of the book, loved it after being disappointed w/ Poyer's rehash. When I get aroundtoit, I'll tear apart my 8 different FN49s and analyze them BY THE BOOK! :^)

Has anyone addressed the issue of removal of the welded Argentine thread protector? I could remove the barrel, set it up in my lathe and turn the welded one off, but my lathe doesn't do metric threads, so there I'm stuck! Has any one had a simpler idea?

David

Goose52

FALaholic #
Thanks for buying a copy of the book; I hope you liked it .....

On the welded muzzle cap, people have attacked this in various ways. Some have ground the weld down until they get to the muzzle cap itself where they can see the hole for the spanner wrench - then remove the weld in the hole by using a drill or small end mill down thru the hole until you just get to the threads. If any weld is present over the front or back of the muzzle cap, onto the barrel, some have attacked this with a dremmel tool. I guess there's a number of ways to handle it.

If you need a better answer, you may want to start a new post on this subject. There may not be a lot of people paying attention to this old survey thread. With a new post, perhaps the machinists out there will chime in on other methods.

Goose

wildwilly

FALaholic #
I got a file and a drill and a dremel. More work! Thanks Goose. Did you go to the Tulsa show. only saw four fn 49s. Met a guy who had bought your book and reconized a columbian that was nice and correct, then purchased it. Saw a nice refinised AL marked one and two Vennies one a little rough and one a mix master.

Goose52

FALaholic #
Nope, wasn't at the Tulsa show. I rarely find many really good FN-49s at shows anymore and most of the ones I've bought lately have been as a result of networking with other collectors.

I do still need 2 Indonesians and 2 Brazilians ..... but it could be MANY years before I find those ....

Goose

Goose52

FALaholic #
I haven't been paying much attention to the view count on this thread since last December but did notice that it jumped up over 300 views just in the past 3 or 4 days!

There is really not much hard data on this thread ... I guess I'm curious as to what people are getting out of it. Perhaps the traffic is from visitors to the board.

Puzzled Goose

wildwilly

FALaholic #
without goose book or should I say right after it the discontiued survey is the best source of info on fn 49s. Your book is tops but only if you know about it.
Wouldn't mind finding an al marked one I think thats one of the hard to find 06s except for the ones goose mentioned.

Goose52

FALaholic #
wildwilly said:
Your book is tops but only if you know about it.
We have to rely on word-of-mouth ... print advertising is just too expensive. We ran some small ads for the book in Shotgun News but had little yield from those ads. Some of the book retailers feature the book on their web sites so some folks become aware of it that way. Additionally, some of the gun show book sellers carry it as well.

wildwilly said:
Wouldn't mind finding an al marked one I think thats one of the hard to find 06s
AL = Luxembourg contract. The Lux rifles are actually the most common of the 30-06-chambered contracts here in the U.S. so if you want an '06 rifle - you will most likely end up with a Lux. While there are only about 6,000 of these around, they do show up on the auction sites and at gun shows from time to time.

Goose

Goose52

FALaholic #
wildwilly said:
Must have meant the ABL ...
ABL = Belgian contract. Not many Belgians in the U.S. and just about all that are here have had the ABL crest removed. I have not found anyone yet that has a "crested" ABL in the U.S.

Goose

Goose52

FALaholic #
Goose52 said:
ABL = Belgian contract. Not many Belgians in the U.S. and just about all that are here have had the ABL crest removed. I have not found anyone yet that has a "crested" ABL in the U.S.
Found someone with a crested ABL that lives in the U.S. ... so there's at least one ...

Goose

shortfal

FALaholic #
.308 FN49 barrel??

After nearly three years, I am discontinuing my FN-49 survey activity. My thanks to all the people who took the time to capture and submit the data on their FN-49 rifles and related equipment over the past 34 months.

The results of the survey, along with several thousand hours of other research, were documented in a recently published 200 page book on the FN-49 (see www.fn49.com).

Best regards,

Goose
Looking for a .308 barrel for a FN49. Is there any source for one other than turning from a barrel blank?
Pete in St. Louis

Goose52

FALaholic #

Best regards,

Goose
Well - this announcement was in December 2004. A dozen years later, and the SECOND edition is now in-work. If you have any feedback to the first edition, visit: The FN-49 - The Last Elegant Old-World Military Rifle - SECOND Edition

Thanks,

Goose / Wayne Johnson