• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

FN-49 Survey Has Been Discontinued

mojo_matic

banned - trolling marketplace
FALaholic #
Goose,
I recieved the Eagle Fn49 today. WOW! I am very pleased!

Details:

Serial number: D1077X
Eagle crest
YEs, it does have a scope cut
No middle sling swivel (most likely repro. stock...just too nice)
No inforcement crossobolt (ditto)
The bolt is machined to accept a firing pin stop

Other details:

No serial numbers anywhere...except for the Egyptian recevier cover. Serial # is 10494 in Arabic (I believe).
The rear screw which attaches triiger assembly to upper DOES NOT have a locking screw.
The bolt has a knurled cocking handle.
Arabic gas plug
Magazine lacks any markings...and a little dinged up. Follower stamped 7.9.
Barrel is perfect. Century marked. Both it, and the new barrel which accompanied the kit (not CIA marked) have the FN crest, an "X" with a star above it, and numbered either "68" or "89."
The rifle came with a flash suppressor already mounted...not sure if it is soldiered..but she is defintely tight!
Plastic buttplate
The stock and handguards appear to be reproduction. VERY nice quaity though...i am impressed!

The rifle had a lot of cosmoline in inside of it. The gas plug and piston needed a little help to loosen apart...lot of dried gunk inside.

The rifle came with a B-Square mount, and the extra brand new 8mm FN49 barrel. I need to find a rear sight and spring...but the receiver cover is not damaged in any way, and I understand that Numrch has the parts that I need....hopefullly they have a metal buttplate!

Goose52

FALaholic #
Thanks for taking the time to submit your data. Sounds like a typical "Eagle." About half had the Century beech wood repro stock and handguards (as yours does), the other half are fitted with Belgian contract 30-06 stocks.

On serial numbers, the replacement barrel wouldn't be serialized, the bolt may be a new, spare as well. The bolt carrier MAY be serialized - did you look at the rear of the carrier, in the area just below the hole for the return (recoil) springs?

Also, did you strip the bolt to see if you have a 1-pc or 2-pc firing pin?

On the rear sight, Springfield Sporters lists an Egyptian rear sight leaf (graduated in Arabic numerals) - SS is the only outfit that I know of that lists these. The Numrich leaf is probably a 30-06 leaf - it will work but the Egyptian one would be more authentic ....

Springfield Sporters

Good luck!

Goose

Goose52

FALaholic #
Sorry, I forgot about your buttplate question.

People with the Century stocks and plastic buttplates have been scrounging the original Egyptian contract brass buttplates for at least 10 years. As a result, there is no "supply" of these anyplace. I see them show up about twice a year on eBay. You could also post WTB ads .... but be advised that many people are looking for these.

In any event, since the Eagles were not assembled by FN, the "correct" buttplate for your rifle is actually the plastic one !

Good luck !

Goose

georgeg

FALaholic #
Here is the info on my FN49:
S/N 584X
Crown Stamp
No Scope cut
No middle sling swivel
No cross bolt.

There is a metal sleeve around the muzzle of mine. What is the secret to removing that? Is it soldered on?

Oh yes, I forgot to say, this is an Egyption 8mm that was imported by Century according to the stamp. Would this have been built by FN or assembled by Century from parts?

Goose52

FALaholic #
georgeg - Thanks for the data. All of the Crown-crested rifles were assembled by FN in Belgium.

The muzzle caps were not welded on the Egyptian contract rifles ... probably just tight after more than 50 years. There's usually no reason to remove them, but if it is necessary, they are designed to be engaged by the gas regulatory key (spanner wrench), available from Northridge.

Goose

bykerhd

Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Just checked Northridge's website. They list two gas regulator wrenches for the FN-49. Same price, but different stock numbers. The stock numbers are FN49-76 and SN-618. $14.95 for either. No pictures. Kind of confusing.

mojo_matic

FALaholic #
Goose,

I ordered the rear sight assembly and spring from Numrich. The parts arrived today...absolutly perfect condition....and Egyptian! They appear as new with a little storage soot. The rear sight aperature/base/screws is stoved over park. Remainder of sight assembly is parked only...with the exception of painted numbers.

No buttplate as you suggested. Will keep eyes peeled. If I land one, the plastic buttplate will be retained for collector value....but it just seems so out of place on such a fine firearm...even the reproduction wood stock is VERY nice.

Thank you for the help! :beer:

Goose52

FALaholic #
Wow - I'm surprised that you got an Egyptian rear sight leaf. I wonder if it was luck of the draw or whether that is what they have left? I had thought they only had Belgian contract 30-06 leaves in stock.

On the buttplate, be aware that some of the Century repro stocks were inletted to take the brass buttplate (it's a drop-in) ... and some were not. On the stocks that were not, before the brass plate will fit, you must inlet the stock to clear the trap door and hinge protuberances on the back of the brass plate.

Goose

mojo_matic

FALaholic #
Cool...thanx again for your help! :beer:

Here is a pic of complete rifle...i am VERY pleased with it. Proof that Century CAN d something right is they keep a tab on their angry beavers. Sorry about Stinker...seems that he digs FN49s as well. :rolleyes:

bykerhd

Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
My Century Egyptian has the painted numbers on the rear sight as well. I thought it had to have been done by a previous, and fairly talented, owner.
So that was original ? The crown on the receiver has some gold looking paint remaining in it. Was that original also ?
Your survey may be over Goose52, but this thread may live on a bit longer.

Goose52

FALaholic #
The original Egyptian contract rear sight leaves did have fill paint in the numerals. As mentioned above, the main portion of the leaf was parked and the upper surface of the leaf was NOT polished as it was on all the other contracts. The fill paint and no polish is unique to the Egyptian contract.

The flash suppressor shown is an aftermarket part sold by Numrich/GunParts.

Goose

wildwilly

FALaholic #
That is a Sarco or Numerich fn-49 muzzle brake. I purchased two for the fn-49 but then got three of the recently made reproductions. I did not care for them but hey they work.

44echo

FALaholic #
Saw one at a show in CR today.

Argentine Contract (7.62x51 chambering w/detachable box magazine):

Serial number :3774
Have scope cut on the left receiver rail? :no
Have an "ARA" cartouche on the buttstock? On left side or right side?
:didn't notice, sorry.
Action was cable tied so bolt info unavaible, all numbers matched that I could see. Butplate was ribbed stamped steel with door.

Wanted $700 for it.