• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Flying life

C-ya

One day at a time...
Contributor
FALaholic #

kroberts

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Forgive the crappy phone pik. Happened at ORD yesterday. An unsecured (or undersecured) entry stand was sent on a trip across the ramp by a thunderstorm.
Its journey was interrupted by a parked MD11.

Looks like someone's insurance company is buying a flap and an aileron.

stand.jpg

SAM1965

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I live under the Barry Goldwater AF range and see strafing and bombing runs almost daily. Also a lot of dog fighting up high. A few years ago watched a couple hours of Apaches do rocket runs at night. That was way cool. About 18 years ago the Royal Thai AF was doing some joint training and watched an F16 point it's nose down and go straight into the ground from thousands of feet up. Heard later the pilot was related to the royal family and had been having an affair and got caught. Took the AF weeks to clean up that crash site on the To'hono O'odam reservation.

kroberts

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

L Haney

Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I like playing with tech stuff just to slow down the mind rot as I get older. We have a moderately active county airport here and I live almost directly under one of the IFR routes for east bound aircraft on their way to Atlanta. About three years ago lookin for something else to do with a Raspberry Pi (small, cheap single board computer) I found out it was pretty simple for them to process the ADS-B telemetry from aircraft.

The radio part is a cheap digital TV 'dongle'. All the hardware, except for the crappy cellular antenna, looks like this.

PiAware Hardware.jpg

The Pi is loaded with the software from FlightAware, a flight tracking service/website I imagine most of you may already know about. This is connected by wi-fi to my home wireless router and then streams the aircraft data it hears to the FlightAware server.

If I connect to it locally on my network I get something like this on my laptop.

PiAware Screen Shot.png

All the aircraft shown here on the map are the ones my shitty little setup is hearing directly.

Anyway, if you put something like this together Flight Aware gives you a free Enterprise account in exchange for you uploading data to them.

This local data is unfiltered. Some flights are redacted on their service after uploading.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
In the 1970's it was no biggy to go up in my at the time attorneys plane but now He is passed on and well im just having withdrawls, by the time I was in the mood again attorney was dead and dad had alzheimer's or dementia and all permissions were gone...

I say by the time I was in the mood again, my uncle (USMC VMF ??? ,Colonel ) on my fathers side was killed in a Cessna or small Beachcraft right after I was taught to fly by my attorney.

Last edited: