• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

First Zero Turn: LIFE CHANGING

ByronF

FALaholic #
Had long been skeptical of all the hype. I thought how can it save so much time? A person can only run so fast across a lawn before knocking their molars loose. Picked up a used Bad Boy Pup. 2008, 30 hp Kohler Command, 52" deck, suspension seat, electric deck adjust. Should have done it LONG ago.

That said, I'd NEVER pay new price for these things. I'm thinking this was a $6k mower back in 08. Easy to spend $9k, and way up from there. I paid $2400 with 425 hours.

ByronF

FALaholic #
I wouldn't wait for it to die. At that moment you'll be in a hurry and make a rushed decision. Maybe not an issue if buying new and you know what you want.

I'm impressed with the Spartan mowers. If buying new I'd have bought one of theirs.

easttex

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
When my 48" tractor mower finally dies I will go zero turn for sure.
Hell! You just about can't buy a lawn tractor these days! Everything is gone zero turn it seems like. Either zero turn or one of the uber sophisticated but not terribly reliable hydrostatic drives.

cotter

FALaholic #
I went Z-turn about 5 years ago. Never again will I be without. I also have a smaller walk behind hydro, while it took some getting used to LOVE IT! It does such a clean job mowing I'll occasionally walk to 36" over ride the 60" just cause.

SpringerXD

FALaholic #
I got my Toro Timecutter Z back in 2010, and I'll never go back to a conventional rider again. The Z is far more maneuverable and it also cuts when you're in reverse, unlike the regular riders.

Having said that, if I had it to do over again, I would have spent an extra $500-$1000 more and gone with an entry-level commercial model instead, to get the real 1/4-inch welded deck.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Having said that, if I had it to do over again, I would have spent an extra $500-$1000 more and gone with an entry-level commercial model instead, to get the real 1/4-inch welded deck.
Good advice on the deck. I'd also recommend getting serviceable hydraulic pumps and motors with filters. With some brands you will need to go with commercial machines to get those features.

K. Funk

Retired Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor
FALaholic #
I agree, my 60" Scag was a game changer. Unfortunately, there were not enough hours in the day to mow 2 times a week during prime time grass growing season, so after several years of doing iy myself, I now gladly pay to have it done. I was hauling 2-3 trac vac loads out to the farm field every cut. It just got to be too much, too much time and too much wear and tear on me. Paid about 7k new, used it for 10 years, sold it to my buddy for 3.5k and it changed his game as well. Still going strong.

krf

Brasky

FALaholic #
I agree, my 60" Scag was a game changer. Unfortunately, there were not enough hours in the day to mow 2 times a week during prime time grass growing season, so after several years of doing iy myself, I now gladly pay to have it done. I was hauling 2-3 trac vac loads out to the farm field every cut. It just got to be too much, too much time and too much wear and tear on me. Paid about 7k new, used it for 10 years, sold it to my buddy for 3.5k and it changed his game as well. Still going strong.

krf
Jeez I can’t imagine mowing twice a week. I’ve only mowed three times this entire year

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Got the BB Maverick from Tractor Supply. I wish I would have paid 500 more for the one with bigger tires 5 years ago. Other than that, it is great. 2.5 acres in probably 1 1/2 hours tops. My friend uses a tractor on his 4 acres and it takes him a long time to cut everything. I compared the JD zero turns to the Bad Boy and the thing that stands out is the welded deck on the BB and the very simple design of it. Best 3500 I ever spent.

FUUN063

FALaholic #
In about 2004, I bought a Scag zero turn mower and I was a die hard John Deere guy (had a collection of every 110 model made to include patio mowers, too). I never bought another lawn tractor and still have the Scag. I've only put one set of rear tires on it and two batteries over the years, nothing else really (of course blades). I think it just turned 1100 hours on it. They make nice mowers. Buy once, cry once is the rule on commercial lawn mowers. The only thing with them is the fact that pulling a lawn sprayer does not work well. So, I cut mine up and mounted the pump/tank to the rear of the mower. That's the bee's knees.

Leland

MordeanGrey

FALaholic #

Great quality, but spend the extra to get the commercial line unless you're just mowing your own lawn that's less than an acre.

Made in my little hometown where I grew up in Kansas.

alphadog58

FALaholic #
Sounds like a great machine. 30 hp is plenty of motor.
This year I've gone to the "meadow" look for my one acre yard. Mow every two weeks or so. Lots of wildflowers came up all by themselves. Whole front yard was white clover. Bees and other pollinators are happy!
Larry

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
I’m going to have to disagree based on my admittedly limited experience. I have an old JD 190C that I like a lot, except it is too big for my current smaller yard. I bought it years ago when I had a lot more yard but it is paid for so I keep running it. I ran a buddy’s commercial grade zero-turn machine down at the range last year and IT BEAT ME TO DEATH. My JD does not hurt me at all. The zero turn had a nice looking seat so I don’t know what the issue was but I will not buy one without running it for a while to try it out.

MikeD718

FALaholic #
I cut 8 acres every 5 days at the house. Bought a Kubota ZD326 new in ‘13. 60” cut commercial mower with 3 cylinder diesel. In the back field I can run it wide open and get a great finish cut at about 11mph. The kubota is pretty heavy so I have to be careful in the spring to keep it out of some of the low areas that hold a lot of water. I learned pretty quick how much it sucks to have to get the truck through the lawn to pull it out of the mud.

ByronF

FALaholic #
I’m going to have to disagree based on my admittedly limited experience. I have an old JD 190C that I like a lot, except it is too big for my current smaller yard. I bought it years ago when I had a lot more yard but it is paid for so I keep running it. I ran a buddy’s commercial grade zero-turn machine down at the range last year and IT BEAT ME TO DEATH. My JD does not hurt me at all. The zero turn had a nice looking seat so I don’t know what the issue was but I will not buy one without running it for a while to try it out.
A zero turn on a rough range vs a conventional lawn tractor on your lawn I don't think is a worthwhile comparison. A zero turn wont smooth out rough ground. If the zero turn roughed you up your JD would likely have beat you near death if mowing at the same speed.

mpddoug162

FALaholic #
I cut about four rolling acres with numerous trees. My old lawn tractor was a four hour project. I bought a 52 inch 25 hp zero turn about ten years ago and cut my cutting time in half. Two hours I’m done and it was a better cut/presentation. I can even hook a dump cart to it if I want. I will never be without a zero turn again.

Timber Wolf

FALaholic #
A zero turn on a rough range vs a conventional lawn tractor on your lawn I don't think is a worthwhile comparison. A zero turn wont smooth out rough ground. If the zero turn roughed you up your JD would likely have beat you near death if mowing at the same speed.
Nope, cut the same range with my JD, over 3 hours to get it all done and did not hurt like when I cut less than half the same area with the zero turn.

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
A lot of mine isn't, either. Sadly, I still have to push-mow a few spots, including some steep ditch banks. Once the weedeating and push mowing are out of the way, I look forward to hopping on the z-turn.
What doesn't get cut with the zero turn gets roundup. Unless I wait too long to put if out and have to weed whack

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
I cut 14 acres every two weeks. Takes me about 6 hours.

Bought this Walker used with 500 hours for $7500. It's done pretty well. DP was using it a few weeks ago, and broke the drive belt. Don't know if it was just bad luck, or what - she has a habit of breaking things mechanical. Usually from doing zero preventive maintenance and ignoring any warnings signs that something was going wrong.

So it's been down until I have time to replace. Walker is rather proud of their stuff. $125 for the PTO belt (three Vs). Once I have some money from selling the old property, I'll be looking for something with more than 60"' cut. I love the hydrostatic whatever thingy. Finger control. It does pull a little to the left and it's frustrating that you have to have the "hood" up to adjust it. Would be nice to be able to adjust it while it's moving instead of just guessing.

Since I have nothing to compare it to, I don't know how it stacks up against something like the Kubotos or Hustlers. Had an opportunity to buy a Ginormous commercial Toro from a gold course but had no way of transporting it.

tonopah-walker-02.jpg

meltblown

Resident Smart Ass
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Zero turns are rough admittingly. Hence my comment of wishing I would have moved up to the next level with larger rear wheels. My place is sandy and washes ruts that will jar you on it. I quit noticing after a bit and just appreciate what I have. I've got $3800 in mine after taxes since 5 years ago. It's fine. Only has 80 hours t this point so it's going to last me a long time. I use it on 2 1/2 acres of my yard and shred the other 2 1/2 out back that are for the deer and critters