• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

First woman Blue Angels Pilot

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
She's coming over from VFA 106 Gladiators
VFA 106 FRS (navy.mil)

Lt. Lee is currently an F/A-18 Super Hornet demo pilot with Strike Fighter Squadron 106's (VFA-106) Rhino Demo Team and also a Super Hornet instructor. She grew up in Mounds View, Minnesota, according to the Navy. While attending the University of Minnesota in Duluth and working at UPS, she decided to enlist in the Navy, graduating from Recruit Training Command in Great Lakes, Illinois in 2007.
Meet Lt. Amanda "Stalin" Lee, First Woman Blue Angels Jet Demo Pilot (thedrive.com)

When a chick steps up to the plate, she should get all the appropriately deserved praise.
No - strike that / when ANYONE steps up to the plate.
Right?
Particularly from everyone on the sidelines who never did shit, or for those of us now out to pasture.
Right?​

1) Instructor. Not easy shit to do.

2) Enlisted. Meaning Mustang commission. Meaning a bit of street cred.

3) How good is she at splattering MiGs and dropping Danger Close?
I agree. IMHO, if she can deliver, she can deliver. End of story.

MasterChief

FALaholic #
In the olden days, my favorite manoeuvre was the "7 way pass" wherein all seven planes would cross over the center of the audience area simultaneously at seven different different altitudes. Sadly, no longer authorized.
1658336968477.png

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The first time I flew with a woman pilot was 1994...........I survived the experience. I was pretty worried.
Kara Hultgren was fresh in my mind.
911 hijackers still on my mind.

NFADLR

FALaholic #
Location thats the question▽ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¿?
There was a supposed pilot that was either a playmate (playboy mag) or pet (Penthouse mag)

A smoking light brown haired hottie.

Might be her, no pics that I saw.

V guy

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #

Lt "Spilitoutforeveryone", left the Navy on May 7, 1998.........was an EWO, or "guy" in the back.....
24 years ago.

She was a Naval Academy graduate.

I can find no pics of her, damn.

FALaholic #
Guys, come on, where's that respect for the military so often preached here? And didn't Tammie Jo Shults perform splendidly under pressure when her SW Airlines 737 blew an engine blade, sliced up the plane, and sucked a passenger half out of the hull?

The only real problem is SOCIETAL, i.e. if your highest quality women (on any measure you care to use, i.e. all the ones that land you in the ejection seat of frontline combat aircraft) are spending most/all of their baby-making years "excelling in previously male-dominated domains", err, umm, HOW is that sustainable????... hmmm... :unsure: Someday we'll have the Brave New World egg-drop baby-in-a-jar thing, but not today.

def90

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The Peoples' Republic of Boulder, Colorado
Lol.. yeah, someone is about to take a vacation..

That said, the Blue Angels I believe are a one year deployment. They take the best of the best of the carrier pilots and they do the show circuit for a year and move on. They are all combat ready pilots. The training schedule is pretty rigorous, they fly something like 2 practice sessions a day 6 days a week during the off season and then during show season they fly 2 sessions a day Tues-wed, fly to the weekend show location either Wed night or Thurs morning, fly their practice routine when they arrive, fly the show Fri-Sun then fly back to Pensacola late Sunday night and get Monday off.

J. Armstrong

Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Back in '07 Nicole Malachowski ( sp ? ) flew with the Thunderbirds and did a tremendous job. I met her briefly and she was intelligent, personable and very much a supporter of the military in general and Naval Aviation in particular. I can tell you that the other T-birds that I had the privelege to meet held her in very high regard.

Good lookin' to boot !

J. Armstrong

Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Does anybody shoot at the Blue Angels? I really don't see the utility of groups like those,who are specifically there for show. Burns up lots of gas for no military gain. I'm wondering who did not make the "team",simply because they weren't the correct gender check in the box. Gender biased am I? Meh..youngest of 5 kids..all others sisters. You get a good perspective when you are constantly the subject of their devious attention.
Well, let's see - the original "Top Gun" movie kicked up navy recruitment through the ceiling. Was that bad ? The demo teams do the same thing. They also give taxpayers something to see for their tax money, something to be proud of. Is that a bad thing ?
Gas bills ? Like they weren't going to burn that JP anyway? Like both the goobermint and the military don't waste more money in a week than the Angels or T-birds "waste" in a year ?
Do they get shot at ? No, but if you don't think their adrenaline is through the roof during a show, guess again. If you don't think that their abilities don't transfer to combat, or that they don't serve as an inspiration for other aviators, guess again.
And by the way, each successive years team is selected by the current team, one of who will be the next flight leader and others may also occasionally be carried over. Do you really believe they are going to put gender over ability at 500 knots and a couple of feet separation ? If indeed they pick a woman for "publicity", I'm pretty sure it won't be because she was second best ability wise !

RG Coburn

FALaholic #
Well, let's see - the original "Top Gun" movie kicked up navy recruitment through the ceiling. Was that bad ? The demo teams do the same thing. They also give taxpayers something to see for their tax money, something to be proud of. Is that a bad thing ?
Gas bills ? Like they weren't going to burn that JP anyway? Like both the goobermint and the military don't waste more money in a week than the Angels or T-birds "waste" in a year ?
Do they get shot at ? No, but if you don't think their adrenaline is through the roof during a show, guess again. If you don't think that their abilities don't transfer to combat, or that they don't serve as an inspiration for other aviators, guess again.
And by the way, each successive years team is selected by the current team, one of who will be the next flight leader and others may also occasionally be carried over. Do you really believe they are going to put gender over ability at 500 knots and a couple of feet separation ? If indeed they pick a woman for "publicity", I'm pretty sure it won't be because she was second best ability wise !
They'll pick a woman,because they are told to pick a woman. A better man will get sidelined. She wants to train for combat? Fine. Train for combat,out over the desert,or the sea,or the arctic,where your fuggup kills only you..