• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Fight against drones

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Frequency jammers are your friend if able to build one that covers radio control frequencies, 1.2/1.3 GHz, 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz with enough power to disrupt them. Of course if preprogrammed flight pattern loaded into its BIOS so it's going exactly where its programmed not steered and jammer is out. I have some cheap drones can use to intercept and crash. Been thinking about buying about six miles of forty pound test fishing line to weave a web of hard to see clear monofilament to hopefully tangle them on final approach. Shooting them means you have to expose yourself. Know my jammers will shut down most drones once get inside our fence line, now to think about a web of monofilament added to cover areas don't have dipole antennas.

Colts4me

FALaholic #
:D :D pondering drone defense and digging trenches, having lived through a trench cave in 9 foot deep makes me think about drone protection differently. Some areas you will be digging your own grave if you dig a trench.

lew

FALaholic #
Let me ask another question, they said your LPVO front lense reflection is picked up by tech that tells the enemy where you are. They said to cover your scope lens.

Question is what about flashlights on guns, going to cover them too?
All my rifle-mounted lights wear Butler Creek caps. Keeps them protected and prevents any unwanted reflection off the lens in the daytime. Shields any inadvertent activation, but then screwing out the bezel or tailcap will do the same. Of course, no one's downrange to see any of that cuz no one wants to play with me.šŸ„ŗ

Aeroscout

Contributor
FALaholic #
Just an FYI.....I don't know if military FLIR is a different animal, but I have an ATI Thor-HD Thermal scope.....I noticed something that may be useful, I tried looking at my wife while I was outside through the kitchen window. I could not see her heat signature at all.

I don't know how I am going to be running around inside a glass box while outside (One could make a hide however)....but it appears FLIR cannot see you through glass....the windows are double pane insulated........YMMV.

Provided as food for thought.

lew

FALaholic #
Just an FYI.....I don't know if military FLIR is a different animal, but I have an ATI Thor-HD Thermal scope.....I noticed something that may be useful, I tried looking at my wife while I was outside through the kitchen window. I could not see her heat signature at all.

I don't know how I am going to be running around inside a glass box while outside (One could make a hide however)....but it appears FLIR cannot see you through glass....the windows are double pane insulated........YMMV.

Nope, thermal cannot see through glass. However, a thermally-opaque box moving around in a field might attract further inspection.

cotter

FALaholic #
Thermal depends on differences in temperature. Your wife's heat does not make it thru the glass or a wall. Huey has offered a WOT on fooling thermal sights before. Basically you need to encapsulate your heat to make you appear atmospheric temperature.

rowjimmy

Purveyor of Truth
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

Yes, mylar emergency blankets sewn into your grille suit are good for blocking heat signature too, except for some leakage.

LYCAN

FALaholic #
Do you know how the French deal with Drones? (Im talking the small to medium size ones, not the legit mini-fighter jet versions. But the ones that act like 4 spoked helicopters. Average size a shoe box to a Bread box.

Answer: Specially Trained Eagles.

But, it has been many years - I don't know if that program is still active.

But still, pretty bad ass.

(Ie: They Trained the Birds of Prey, to see (small to med size "drones" as Prey - and attack & disable them.

EDIT to add:

Last edited:

LYCAN

FALaholic #
Noting - merely for the sake of Transparency.

As cute as the concept is, (and I am merely raising awareness, not shooting down the ideas [only 1/2 not pun intended]

But in all seriousness - folks should factor in - shooting down even a hobbyist Drone - has been declared an FAA violation.

Unless its changed.

I merely note that as an overall... factor to consider.

lew

FALaholic #
Yes, mylar emergency blankets sewn into your grille suit are good for blocking heat signature too, except for some leakage.
And raising your local temperature, making those leakage points even more noticeable. Terrain masking is still the best way to avoid thermal. Also, having thermal of your own is critical.

Wildcat

FALaholic #
Tungsten may be the best.

Thereā€™s probably an article in ā€œOutdoor Lifeā€ or ā€œSports Afieldā€

View attachment 387601
This is where the question you need to ask is "Whats' better?"
You get fewer pellets in 1-1/4 oz of tungsten than for lead / bismuth; 1-1/4 oz of steel offers more than either though it won't carry as far.

Payload is the same weight but the pattern concentration is not the same.

The copter drones are not heavily built, damage to a rotor at the very least should be disruptive enough.