• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Enemy Tactics in the Land of Gucci *

Story

FALaholic #
Schadenfreude for the SanFranciscoites aside, this seems like a reasonable template for what to expect in the first five minutes of the impending Zombipocalypse movie; local gun stores, liquor stores, gas stations, super markets, pharmacies...

SAN FRANCISCO — Groups of thieves, some carrying crowbars and hammers, smashed glass cases and window displays and ransacked high-end stores throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, stealing jewelry, sunglasses, suitcases and other merchandise before fleeing in waiting cars during a weekend of brazen organized theft that shocked holiday shoppers and prompted concerns about the busy retail season. The thefts are believed to be part of sophisticated criminal networks that recruit mainly young people to steal merchandise in stores throughout the country then sell it in online marketplaces. The thefts are ratcheting up as the holiday shopping season gets underway, experts and officials said.
Organized crime rings are behind spate of high-end retail robberies in Bay Area, experts say - MarketWatch

Backstory

San Francisco, and the larger Bay Area, now could easily claim the title of Shoplifting Capital of the USA — should it want the honor. Viral video of brazen thefts has become one of the city’s most influential cultural exports. Hey, look — here are 80 people engaged in a large-scale smash-and-grab robbery of a Nordstrom in Walnut Creek outside San Francisco last weekend, one of a series of jaw-dropping thefts over the last several days, including an operation that cleared out a Louis Vuitton on San Francisco’s Union Square.

Mobs of looters are grabbing goods in California thanks to downgraded shoplifting laws (nypost.com)

* No related pre-existing thread found.

cotter

FALaholic #
Meh, they aren't stealing anything truly useful nor anything I would want, nor from any store I would ever shop at. Not sure I've ever been in a gun store where damn near every employee isn't armed, and I'd guess half the shoppers were armed as well. Not a wise move. Waiting on scared soccer moms for now...

Story

FALaholic #
Meh, they aren't stealing anything truly useful nor anything I would want, nor from any store I would ever shop at. Not sure I've ever been in a gun store where damn near every employee isn't armed, and I'd guess half the shoppers were armed as well. Not a wise move. Waiting on scared soccer moms for now...
That's now, I'm talking about the possible future but hey - you do you and I'll do me for Threat Evaluation.

Story

FALaholic #
Not saying no radar return, just defcon unaffected.
You've always seemed like a guy who I'd want to be able to outrun the zombies when the time comes, so I'll 'splain my Annex B comment.

The gangs are organized [by parties unknown] to loot what has value in the here-and-now.
That indicates sentient life - a 'brain bug' if you will.
The aforementioned brain bug(s) will change it's/their priority targeting list when the values of things change.
Savvy?

I'm doing my part.

cotter

FALaholic #
Think I'm catching your wind. When they want me, well I guess they will come. Most neighbors have been told when they hear hell visiting my place to run the other direction. Those who know better will be here.

Story

FALaholic #
Think I'm catching your wind. When they want me, well I guess they will come. Most neighbors have been told when they hear hell visiting my place to run the other direction. Those who know better will be here.
They won't want you until they decide you taste good with a variety of BBQ sauces.

In the next chapter of our current comedy existance, the looty mclooters will be going for the undefended/underdefender places-of-value [as articulated above].

When that time comes, *BE* the Roof Korean.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I don't understand why all retail stores with plate glass windows do not at least have 6mil to 8 mil/two to three layer security film applied to glass then properly glued to frames. We have hurricane rated storm windows on house which I picked up used before moving in house. Had six month overlap to remodel new home before moving in and only got about thirty percent of work done but did the most important things relating to basic security. Swapped highest likely attacked exterior doors to metal fire doors with five hinges instead of three, internal locks to reinforce the door knob and deadbolt using commercial door handles and deadbolts. Put security film on both sides of storm windows that requires more than a concrete block or hammer to defeat.

We had upgraded doors to force rated entry security doors before we ever had a kitchen. Wife cooked on Coleman propane stove and microwave oven for over seven years in kitchen not much bigger than a walk in closet for over seven years. Had closing and locking shutters to reinforce the hurricane storm windows and polycarbonate liners on high threat windows before a kitchen. At my business only have one window big enough for a person to enter through which has security film, metal burglar bars and polycarbonate ballistic liner. Even the small windows ten feet from ground level are NIJ 3a capable.

Then with masonry construction and metal roof installed with fire rated layer underneath makes someone trying to burn either down much more difficult. Gucci store can afford security glass and roll down steel grates or doors to cover glass if a hillbilly can. Have little sympathy if after first such incident they do not take precautions to stop all but a commercial truck from crashing through front of building.

Story

FALaholic #
Told.
Youse.​
So.​

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - Authorities are warning about a gang of “ruthless and fearless” car thieves targeting communities across the Tri-State.

A statement from Warren County Juvenile Court Judge Joseph Kirby says there are 41 known members of “the glacier gang” stealing cars in southwestern Ohio:

“[...]Not only are they breaking into cars to steal them, but they are gaining access to residences and approaching people inside.

“Everyone needs to keep their doors locked to their cars. Don’t leave your garage door remotes accessible in a parked car outside, lock all of your windows and doors not just at night, but also during the day. They have been known to walk into people’s residences while people are home.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
About ten years ago wife was visiting a group of friends in Columbia SC who went to University of SC or were part of local music scene of which several became studio musicians, one a songwriter in Nashville with over a dozen top ten hits written, two working in Hollywood sound studios and such. All the musicians were planning to reunite the guys from the three local bands and one sound & light company from the late 70s/early 80s in area called "Little Five Points".

There are several people from the group of friends who still live in Columbia area and suggested taking reunion out of Columbia or at least the Five Points area for sure. Said it was overrun by gangs and every traffic light had spotters who looked first for cops and second victims. If car had a couple or two, purses visible on seats, late model vehicle and appeared to be out for a evening of fun they called ahead and next light someone would step in crosswalk then two others broke out windows on each side of vehicle. They would demand all purses, wallets, watches and jewelry and phones telling occupants if did not leave immediately or tried calling police would be shot at next intersection or two.

Wife had spent her time at USC walking Five Points day and night especially weekends going from bar to bar listening to music. Asked a local friend to drive her through. He had another guy and wife wanting to see so he agreed. Refused to drive his new SUV saying luxury cars and SUVs were most likely to be car jacked especially if doors unlocked and perps could open and snatch occupants out quickly. Has a older Ford Bronko with roll bars, brush guard, winch bumpers front and back plus tall tires and motor with lots of torque. She wore her favorite covert armor, loaned spare covert to other female and plate carrier to one of the guys. Wife said they put hard top on, all had handguns in hand and as described every intersection had a group of gang bangers trying to peer through tinted windows.

They made one trip through main road and was exactly as described. He said as went through most likely intersections to be shot and expect for armed muggers to be at every ATM so when someone stopped to get cash if looked like a victim odds are would be robbed. I remember a Files member being held up in this area and complied as muggers had the drop and drawing from the drop is what you try to avoid if just handing wallet over appeased perps. Few can draw from the drop against two perps with guns in hand.

She said even with all four occupants having CCWs, never unlocking doors, ability to push forwards or rearward in most blocking efforts, all with hands on pistols plus three of four in armor it was scary and didn't see a single cop in that area. Monday my new truck goes into dealership for only push bar/brush guard found to fit that is not totally tacky, made from milspec armored tube and plate. Not cheap but made from AR 250 steel and does not block any of the forward cameras, collision avoidance sensors, lane departure sensors but will delay airbag deployment which I like as will be only truck I don't remove them. Also installing an AR 250 round bar in receiver to protect rear bumper and all sensors and cameras in it unless take a strong hit. Found Chevy approved steel running boards with 5" wide step that reach from wheel to wheel. They are adding ballistic seat covers with molle on backs that cost over $350 per seat and ballistic rated window film and barriers inside of doors.

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
About ten years ago wife was visiting a group of friends in Columbia SC who went to University of SC or were part of local music scene of which several became studio musicians, one a songwriter in Nashville with over a dozen top ten hits written, two working in Hollywood sound studios and such. All the musicians were planning to reunite the guys from the three local bands and one sound & light company from the late 70s/early 80s in area called "Little Five Points".

There are several people from the group of friends who still live in Columbia area and suggested taking reunion out of Columbia or at least the Five Points area for sure. Said it was overrun by gangs and every traffic light had spotters who looked first for cops and second victims. If car had a couple or two, purses visible on seats, late model vehicle and appeared to be out for a evening of fun they called ahead and next light someone would step in crosswalk then two others broke out windows on each side of vehicle. They would demand all purses, wallets, watches and jewelry and phones telling occupants if did not leave immediately or tried calling police would be shot at next intersection or two.

Wife had spent her time at USC walking Five Points day and night especially weekends going from bar to bar listening to music. Asked a local friend to drive her through. He had another guy and wife wanting to see so he agreed. Refused to drive his new SUV saying luxury cars and SUVs were most likely to be car jacked especially if doors unlocked and perps could open and snatch occupants out quickly. Has a older Ford Bronko with roll bars, brush guard, winch bumpers front and back plus tall tires and motor with lots of torque. She wore her favorite covert armor, loaned spare covert to other female and plate carrier to one of the guys. Wife said they put hard top on, all had handguns in hand and as described every intersection had a group of gang bangers trying to peer through tinted windows.

They made one trip through main road and was exactly as described. He said as went through most likely intersections to be shot and expect for armed muggers to be at every ATM so when someone stopped to get cash if looked like a victim odds are would be robbed. I remember a Files member being held up in this area and complied as muggers had the drop and drawing from the drop is what you try to avoid if just handing wallet over appeased perps. Few can draw from the drop against two perps with guns in hand.

She said even with all four occupants having CCWs, never unlocking doors, ability to push forwards or rearward in most blocking efforts, all with hands on pistols plus three of four in armor it was scary and didn't see a single cop in that area. Monday my new truck goes into dealership for only push bar/brush guard found to fit that is not totally tacky, made from milspec armored tube and plate. Not cheap but made from AR 250 steel and does not block any of the forward cameras, collision avoidance sensors, lane departure sensors but will delay airbag deployment which I like as will be only truck I don't remove them. Also installing an AR 250 round bar in receiver to protect rear bumper and all sensors and cameras in it unless take a strong hit. Found Chevy approved steel running boards with 5" wide step that reach from wheel to wheel. They are adding ballistic seat covers with molle on backs that cost over $350 per seat and ballistic rated window film and barriers inside of doors.
Was it really worth the effort to roll through...? I got on a plane leaving Jackson MS about 25 years ago and landed in Columbia. At 1st I thought the plane had turned around.

droid

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Between Houston and Victoria, Texas, on the coast.
That could be because the people making the policy have more of an interest in "cock rings" than theft rings! 🏳️‍🌈 ;)

But...but...but...defunding the police was going to create an equitable utopia wherein black, white, and brown could all live in harmony? Nobody said anything about theft rings or organized bands of hoodlums!

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
This is what's going on front of truck. All round pipe, odd shapes and skidplate are AR 250 milspec armor rated. Not huge, heavy and tacky weighing so much will prematurely wear front tires but allow me to push things around if its a "have to" situation. Mounts to frame and reinforced tow hook mounts then adds its own tow hooks since truck loses factory tow hooks.

280b24517cfef274c7f05c0ecd1df08d.jpg

These are "structural steel" go from wheel to wheel, are 5"×84" and go wheel to wheel as closely as possible without interfering with turning radius.

44c9ef08f8f27b4754eea9a9414c0a0f.jpg

This goes across back, is made of 3.5" AR 250 tubing and is textured to help use as step.

1248345a54536407034045058a29c2ba.jpg

These are NIJ 3a rated and fit between door skins and interior door panels so will be unseen.
DEW-ballistic-door-panel.jpg

After these and other accessories are installed by Chevy dealership goes in for security window film. Inside of bed has already been sprayed with PAXCON ballistic/blast rated polymer similar to Line-X but 20x tougher. Tint shop will use 3M 6 mil two ply tinted security film on all windows except windshield and will use same product in clear on front windshield. Ordered enough extra PAXCON they were able to remove wheelwell trim, spray all exposed metal, replace plastic trim then add fender flares. Also sprayed inside of toolbox. Truck shipped with Goodyear tires which have always had poor luck with and Chevy would not install Michelin from factory so soon as first set of tires wear will replace with Michelin and add run-flat inserts.

Urban tactics of driving truck that appears fairly factory issue. Engine option is 355 horsepower at flywheel, has eight speed automatic transmission can swap to paddle shift over-ride, two speed transfer case, locking differential, factory skid plates over engine, transfer case to about 2/3 way back and have aftermarket rear skid plate being installed with other accessories. Already added CAT Back exhaust and K&N cold air intake. Found shop that specializes in these engines, mostly found in new model Camaros who said when warranty expires can bump it as sits to 400 horsepower to wheels/430 to flywheel in sport mode while increasing fuel economy in economy mode. If turn on traction control, lock differential, hit sport mode when all four wheels grab it just launches with zero wheel slip. Assume have about 320 hp to wheels now so another 80 hp to wheels and it should get out of a bad area quickly. Still looking for a used high mileage factory armored S Class Mercedes to commute into ATL only.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Can find most at RealTruck.com but purchased all mine through my local Chevy dealer. After nine Dodge trucks except for the GMC TopKick (Dodge didn't make truck that large to mount 55' bucket with articulating jib & winch, bed with a zillion tool boxes, outriggers, Caterpillar & Allison Automatic) Chevy fleet salesmanager has been twisting my arm for years as pick up at least one truck or van per year for a client. Can get me same parts on Realtruck plus others for less and install for me so become dealer accessories. If factory or dealer does not install insurance does not replace if in wreck or compensate if total loss.

Factory would not install a lot of parts I wanted listed on Chevy website. They did run it through COPO ordering so able to get some of the hotrod accessories that are from the Camaro which was bigger for me. Stock V6 is 308 hp which in this size truck scoots, since carry real loads and pull trailers was able to get the 355 hp version from Camaro as well as paddle shifting. Added factory installed CAT Back exhaust and K&N cold air box which supposedly adds another 20 hp plus 40 ft lbs of torque. Has limited slip rear end, economy, towing and sport mode, can lock up 4WD or have it kick in automatically if detects wheel slip. Has two brake controllers for towing, one ties to antilock brake computer and adds antilock and antisway feature to trailer brakes.

In addition to rear view camera for backing has two high definition rear view cameras built in at third taillight location at top of cab along with extra cameras and sensors down low so can back ball under tongue of trailer with computer assist first try without having a spotter or hopping out to see if centered. Has forward cameras, in cab cameras so if detects being hit while parked automatically saves the minute before impact and minute beyond last movement. If someone tries break in or does they have multiple cameras recording event and same when cops pull it over. Lane departure, forward collision warning then induced emergency braking which can be turned off if want to hit someone.

Truck does not nag me if don't wear seatbelts and can turn off airbags selectively. Has highest towing capacity of any Colorado, leveling kit to raise front end for extra 1.5" clearance. Chevy had to drop front end of entire series to get better aerodynamics to meet government fuel mileage regulations but allows ordering it with optional taller front end. The door armor comes from their police vehicle line as 90% of law enforcement vehicles arrive with NIJ 3a door inserts with up to NIJ 4 option but have heard the higher threat level causes door hinges to wear prematurely, way more expensive and get really ugly door trim as factory door cards won't fit with heavier than 3a.

All but the window film was purchased from Chevy and installed by them. Also have some 6 mil clear two ply with similar outer layer found in some high end screen protectors that can be used on exterior glass except windshield. Front glass takes too much sandblasting from road debris to put films on exterior. Finishing install of rifle locks and first ham radio today. Monday it goes to Chevy dealer for a pile of a accessories that have arrived. Will be 85% complete as waiting for front bar to arrive (manufacturer had to modify for 2022 models) and gets its security film on windows end of week. My dealer said factory keeping up with progress as may put similar truck in police vehicle offerings.

Since Fiat purchased Chrysler and killed the Dodge truck line (if notice all are branded Ram Trucks and not one Dodge emblem) along with the re-release of Dakotas I decided after 40 years to abandon new products. Keeping my older Mopars and plan to have at least two restored to better than factory. Especially the Dakota ordered with the Durango police suspension. Its shorter than most 4WD Dakotas but handles like a sports car if know how to steer with the rear end. Hate having to leave Mopar after nearly a lifetime but Fiat has turned them into commuter trucks for subdivision dwellers and office workers instead of work trucks for blue collar types. Even hearing a lot of complaints about new 3500 dually diesels being plastic toys with electrical issues. Never thought I would have a bowtie on a vehicle since selling my 1972 Chevelle.