• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Dumb Things You Did When You Were a Teenager Thread.

TerryN

FALaholic #
All that I will state in public is that during my first tour in Korea, I became a real believer in Kaiser Wilhelm's statement that "God looks out for drunks, fools, and the United States of America." The big guy was most assuredly watching out for me, as I fit into two of those categories - drunk, and a fool! Stoned, too, more than likely! There were (multiple) events involving landmines, a single instance of being shelled by American artillery, (technically unauthorized) entry into the barrier zone on the south side of the Military Demarcation Line (inside the DMZ), hearing bullets whiz past overhead, explosives, and doubtless several others that elude me at the moment. I was just 18 when I arrived, and it's a wonder that I made it to 20!

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
Sumer visiting my old man back in 88 this other kid and I got the bright idea to wrap a 2in cardboard tube from a poster roll with about 2mm of metal HVAC tape and fill it up with gunpowder that we'd scraped out of those (now banned) Whistling Moon Traveler screaming bottle rockets. Must have emptied out 250 rockets using an awl. Problem was the propellant was solid and white and final explosive charge up in the head of the rockets was orange but we didn't give a shit and mixed and ground it all up in a stainless salad bowl and filled the big tube. Capped it with glue soaked wadded up paper towels, added a cardboard cone, taped on some fins and a 1/4in x 2ft dowl. We snuck on down to the park in the middle of St Louis on our bikes about 10pm and stuck it in the ground. I lit the fuse and it just smoldered a little so I blew on it Wile E Coyote style and all of a sudden it took off like Mission Impossible. I don't think we ran 10 steps before we heard the loudest sound I've ever heard in my life behind us. I'm sure that my hearing loss over time started with that night. We could feel the concussion across our backs Obviously it didn't take off but it did blow a divot about 8 inches deep and over a foot across in the dirt and set off one of those annoying 80s car alarms on the street since we were only about 20 yards in from the sidewalk. I'm sure the cops were called but we were long gone.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
All that I will state in public is that during my first tour in Korea, I became a real believer in Kaiser Wilhelm's statement that "God looks out for drunks, fools, and the United States of America." The big guy was most assuredly watching out for me, as I fit into two of those categories - drunk, and a fool! Stoned, too, more than likely! There were (multiple) events involving landmines, a single instance of being shelled by American artillery, (technically unauthorized) entry into the barrier zone on the south side of the Military Demarcation Line (inside the DMZ), hearing bullets whiz past overhead, explosives, and doubtless several others that elude me at the moment. I was just 18 when I arrived, and it's a wonder that I made it to 20!

There was once a time, when, being 18, with a pocket full of money, armed with machine guns and hand grenades, where the rules of proper conduct did not apply.

It do leave one with memories for several lifetimes....

poof

FALaholic #
If as an old man Now, I would kick my own Ass as a Kid.
After Bar Close, if I found a attached garage door open and no vehicle inside.
😁😁 me and the 72 impala 2 door hard top. Small block 400. All factory.
Would back in power brake and light um up.
50's on back and air shocks .
Smoke till you couldn't see..
Never would you find that door open again.
That's just the tip of asshat shit .
I had great friends.
Was a fun time ..as the initiator.
😪😉🙂😁

Jaxxas

Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
When I was 13-14, myself and friends going or coming from somewhere cut through a sand and gravel pit after hours and there below this big ass conveyor about 12' or so above this huge pile of sand resting at the angle of repose. Having worked on my front flip most of the summer at the community pool I just knew I could flip off that conveyor and land perfectly on that sand and slide to the bottom. My friends tried but I couldn't be stopped and I flipped off that conveyor. It was perfect, I landed just as planned very close to the same angle as the sand, but there was no sliding to it, the sand was damp and needless to say I made quite the impression. How I survived only the Lord knows, don't think I moved for like 20 minutes, my friends were freaking, nothing broken but my backside was black and blue for 2 weeks, I winced with every step.....

And I've been a jackass ever since.............

Last edited:

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
We were fishing with the old man one day, nothing biting but the bugs, and about that time, another boat pulled up beside us, fellow called out to my dad, any luck, nope,,,he smiled and told my dad, back off a little and get your hand net out, my old man laughed and move our boat off 50 yards or so.

Me and my brothers, looking at the old man, who was grinning, had no idea what was about to happen.

Old boy reached into a box, pulled out what looked like a red stick, took his cigar, and smoke started, as he dropped it over the back of his boat.

Going up front, we heard him gun the engine, but it stalled, and stopped!

Ka-boom!

Up came the rear of the little boat, and off flying went the "fisherman"!

My dad race us up to the cloud of smoke, he stopped and reached out and pulled the guy out of the water, who was laughing his drunk ass off.

We picked up fish by the arms full, then towed the now engine less boat and fisherman back to the landing.

Growing up down south,,,,,,priceless....

alphadog58

FALaholic #
Well, when I was in high school Carmine Patrizio's dad bought a Buehler Turbocraft. Early 60's fibreglass speedboat with a 292 Ford Interceptor engine and a Berkley jet drive. There was this really big sandbar out front of Clinton Harbor that showed at low tide. We figured we'd bait the Town cops into chasing us by blasting down the channel at half tide and crossing the sandbar that had about a foot of water at half tide. The Buehler would run WFO in a foot of water, easy.
We did the deed on a Saturday afternoon. The cops jumped in their boat at the town dock and chased us. We blasted across the sandbar. The cops hit it and we could see the fountain of muddy water spraying into the air as their motor kicked up. Heeheehee we thought we were pretty slick as we continued on to Westbrook and hung out there for the rest of the day.
You fellers can imagine who was waiting for us when we slithered back into the marina after dark...
Larry

Last edited:

Impala_Guy

FALaholic #
LOL heres a classic I almost forgot. My grandad had a long cellar with a low 7ft ceiling and a stepped down room in the back where the sump pit was. We used to shoot air rifles and .22s from the back of the cellar into a wood block in the sump room...about 30 yards maybe. That last foot of the cellar was above ground with some small casement windows that could be opened for ventilation. Well a friend and I were down there in the summer of early 91 shooting CeeBee caps out of a single shot .22 when I looked out the casement window that was open and spied a squirrel hanging off the bottom of a tree trunk that was on the other side of the driveway. I bet my buddy $10 that I could hit him inside of 3 shots and it was on. Now keep in mind this was in a large, heavily populated part of the northeast, not out in the country. Took one shot...pshaw. Loaded another one....bang, dead center as Rocky flew off the tree and landed on the driveway flipping all over the place. Gramps must have pulled in the driveway just as the cute rat did his death shudder and got all stiff because I see this pair of perfectly buffed wingtip shoes (he was an ex Navy Chief) walk up to the dead rat and this HUGE hand with shotgun shell fingers pick up the corpse with two of them like it was a turd that the dog left on the carpet. Theres this moment of silence and then I hear this low, muffled "son of a bitch....." and then a not so muffled "SON OF A BITCH!!!!!" and I knew my goose was cooked. Sure enough he charged down the basement and snatched the gun out of my hands and told me he was going to tie it around my head in a bow if I ever pulled that stunt again.

Bubacus

FALaholic #
Used to like model rockets a lot when I was about 15. Lost one of my favorites that took Estes D engines. Had 3 spare D engines and had a few spare aluminium arrows around. Taped the engines to the top of the arrow like a sky rocket. Put a bunch of jumping jacks and firecrackers on the top near the ejection charge. Grabbed the compound bow and put a long fuse on the engine. Lit them and launched them during the night. They went up about 30 feet in the air and then took off. Amazing shower of sparks and it took about 2-3 seconds to hear the fireworks after they went off.....hope they landed in a nearby marsh.

meltblown

Social Influencer for the Feds
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I remember some kids getting killed from their antics. There were 2 brothers that lived across the street and about 3 or 4 houses does down. One night they were running across the road and would slap the rear of the vehicle with their hand like they were tagging it. I was probably around 12 or 13. The oldest brother was about my age and the younger one probably 10 or 11. Well anyway there was an older kid in the neighborhood that was probably 16 and had an old GMC truck IIRC. It had a rear bumper that stuck out to the side and curved toward back towards the front. The youngest ran out to hit the back of the truck and the bumper caught him and killed him dead right there. I was inside and we noticed the cops and ambulance. It was bad for the family not to mention the guy in the truck having to live with that at such a young age.

Best friend who was year older than me was another. We had worked at McDonalds together along with his GF when we were in HS. They eventually got married at 19. I was working shift one night at the place my father worked. Fahter showed up and was huh to tell me the news? Well Greg and Rhonda were out in the country around where his parents lived and they got hit at a RR crossing. She died pretty much on the scene. He was in ICU for a couple of days and died as well, and I was a pallbearer. I have little doubt the Greg was probably drinking because we had done it routinely and a good chance he tried to beat the train.

Invictus77

1C16:13
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
I'll keep most of those stories to myself, but I will share one fireworks story. As teenagers we would get bottle rockets around 4th of July and of course being stupid boys, we had to use them in a creative manner. We would go down in the river bottoms and with full-face motorcycle helmets and steel trash can lids for shields have bottle rocket fights that were epic and definitely left a few scars on a few folks.

For this very reason, my kids never had bottle rockets or any other fireworks growing up, at least not at my house or with my blessing. They were stupid boys too however and I'm sure they have their own fireworks stories that have not yet been shared with me.

Jeff in Pa

Bronze Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
I may have or maybe not outran the cops in my 67 Mustang fastback about midnight back in 1977. I may have came thru the little town of mainland doing about 60 in a 35 zone while the cop was about 50' from his car. I may have hung a left and kept it floored for a mile and a half before turning left onto my road. Crested the hill, turned off the lights and killed the engine as I came in the driveway. Into the garage and pulled down the door as the police car crested the hill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a story about my buddy Mike.

He had a '74 Suzuki RM 400 that was wicked fast. I was at my friend Tony's house right next door as this all transpired. I can hear both police siren and a dirt bike winding out. Mike comes flying into his backyard and parks the bike over by the shed. Two bolts and the seats off. A rubber band and the tank is off. Two more springs and the exhaust pipe is off.

Right about then the local cop pulls into the driveway and yells " I got you this time Mike" ( yeah, they were on a first name basis )

Mike walks down to him and goes "What? I blew up my cycle yesterday and I'm working on it" The cop looks up at the cycle and sees it's disassembled. Just mumbles Son of a BITCH" and leaves.

If he would have gotten closer, he could have heard the "heat ticks" or if he would have touched anything, he would have burnt his fingers.

Tak

FALaholic #
I'll keep most of those stories to myself, but I will share one fireworks story. As teenagers we would get bottle rockets around 4th of July and of course being stupid boys, we had to use them in a creative manner. We would go down in the river bottoms and with full-face motorcycle helmets and steel trash can lids for shields have bottle rocket fights that were epic and definitely left a few scars on a few folks.

For this very reason, my kids never had bottle rockets or any other fireworks growing up, at least not at my house or with my blessing. They were stupid boys too however and I'm sure they have their own fireworks stories that have not yet been shared with me.
These are supposed to be STUPID stories. Your story seems like a normal part of life from the 60's or 70's :)

It does remind me of something we did in high school era....we took pellet guns and put q-tips in the barrels and ran around the house shooting each other with them. Whoever was armed with a C02 gun had the speed advantage, but whoever had the daisy lever pump pistol had the 'causing more pain' advantage !

MACV

FALaholic #
Well, when I was in high school Carmine Patrizio's dad bought a Buehler Turbocraft. Early 60's fibreglass speedboat with a 292 Ford Interceptor engine and a Berkley jet drive. There was this really big sandbar out front of Clinton Harbor that showed at low tide. We figured we'd bait the Town cops into chasing us by blasting down the channel at half tide and crossing the sandbar that had about a foot of water at half tide. The Buehler would run WFO in a foot of water, easy.
We did the deed on a Saturday afternoon. The cops jumped in their boat at the town dock and chased us. We blasted across the sandbar. The cops hit it and we could see the fountain of muddy water spraying into the air as their motor kicked up. Heeheehee we thought we were pretty slick as we continued on to Westbrook and hung out there for the rest of the day.
You fellers can imagine who was waiting for us when we slithered back into the marina after dark...
Larry
My dad had a Buehler jet drive that used small block Chevy engines. Fun boat. I’m pretty sure I knocked up my first wife in that boat

Rustycelt

FALaholic #
Let's see......

-Throwing firework canister shells like hand grenades into the river,culverts etc
-Shooting match heads with old BB guns
-Bicycle jousting with baseball armor and and pvc pipes
-Freaking neighbors out at night by carrying around pine pitch torches in woods ( yeah that was incredibly stupid, should have gotten shot)
- Launching off model rockets in middle of night like a missile strike
- Looking for caves and crawling in crevices riddled with snakes
- 'Commandeering' stuff from the local dump where scavenging was prohibited

A favorite activity was to wait in woods at night on this lonely stretch of road, where people would park and make out. We had this red laser ( target designator) we would ' buzz' people's windows and mirrors with from the cover of the woods/weeds. People sped off with the fear of God in them:ROFLMAO:.
Also beat ' to quarters' and the British marching step from 5 gallon bucket drums when we grew tired of the red laser trick. My buddies and I always wanted to get a WW1 trench whistle, blow it and simulate an a charge to see what would happen lol, but never did.

Anyways lots more BS happened than that, but I lived to tell the tales!

Abominog

FALaholic #
I may have or maybe not outran the cops in my 67 Mustang fastback about midnight back in 1977.
I may or may not have outrun a trooper in a borrowed Honda Element loaded with tools. I was on my way to a race at Watkins Glen. I’ll bet he was shocked at how an Element can carry speed through corners.

Jeff in Pa

Bronze Contributor
Contributor
FALaholic #
I may or may not have outrun a trooper in a borrowed Honda Element loaded with tools. I was on my way to a race at Watkins Glen. I’ll bet he was shocked at how an Element can carry speed through corners.
If you learned to drive in an under-powered car, you "might*" be able to carry serious speed thru the corners.

* driving fast is a LOT more than hacking your way thru the corners

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I outrun the two huge ass McCallister brothers when they came home for lunch early one hot summer day, and heard all the banging going on up stairs in their little sisters bed room!

Learned a good lesson that day,,,,somethings, like cute little blonds, that never said no,,,,, just ain't worth ones life!