• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Doomsday prepper who built her own BUNKER in anticipation of nuclear war

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Goal of post was to stress importance of preventive medicine along with having equipment, medications and knowledge to keep teeth, eyes, ears, etc from reaching point of trouble instead of trying to treat after it becomes an issue.

This morning had one of my part timers come by house to get keys to two gun assembly rooms that are only unlocked when I am at work alone. Wanted him to bring me some very specific parts and tools to build a new precision 10/22 at home. While under medical house arrest and doctors ordered me not to work technically if they had an investigator get photos/video of me coming and going to office my very small monthly check to help pay bills when unable to work would stop coming.

He found three Frisbees filled with 10/22 trigger, bolt and other parts wanted to be sure using best options I have on this rifle. First time ever handed that key to anyone other than wife but after 30 years if he was going to take advantage of me I would be robbed blind. Cool thing is he noticed these in a chair and brought to the house. Having food is of little value if too sick to eat it.

My newest Protech plate carrier with lightweight NIJ 4 plates and NIJ 2 soft plate backers. Plan to add big velcro patches to hold on quick change magazine shingles and quick detach IFAK and maybe a radio pouch on back shoulder with hands free ear piece and throat mic.

Protech001.jpg

Protech002.jpg

My newest Safariland black carrier with Hardwires newest ultra thin, ultralight NIJ 3a soft armor. Have to put the soft armor in shoulder protectors and the ultralight NIJ 3+/ICW 4 plates. Also need to install mag pouches, radio pouches, internal soft battery with power hub and USB hub to integrate all electronics. Going to set this up to go with my last 6.8 spc II Noveske 13.7" build that has Streamlight TL-4 tactical white light and I.R. integrated laser. For hunting hogs and zombies.

Safariland002.jpg

Safariland001.jpg

Owned both of these almost two years and after removing from my Safariland care package sat in gun room chair and basically forgot till today. More good body armor is last thing we need but upgrading to newer and lighter technology and higher threat levels is always good especially when saves major weight. Maybe now I can set a few odd cans of food on a shelf and call myself a "doomsday prepper".

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Have mentioned doe everything I can to best budget allows and can do myself. Had "handyman" come run one extra duct off plenum of HVAC air handler to room wife has constantly complained of cool area and when installed the central HVAC knew needed it but had worked four 18 hour days and by 11:45 pm on Christmas Eve myself and helper were toast. This window (registers should go under windows) was in spot nearly inaccessible and put off as "do it later" and fired the machine as had gone without heat all fall/early winter.

Handyman commented on how burly the main floor entrances appeared with security storm doors and high security doors all except basement door. Rear deck (nobody can access without climbing deck) is actual weakest woth standard glass storm door covering glass door both with blast rated ballistic film. Which for now is fine for me. He thought doors to deck were security doors as well because had added a door armor kit to main door (steel hinge covers & five hinges plus steel door frame reinforcement and steel locking reinforcement around deadbolt/knob) plus I have 3/8" AR Polycarbonate covering glass on outside and 1/4" on inside so it's NIJ 3a+ capable.

His concern was basement door as appears to be normal door but I built myself. Used a 3/16" sheet of lead in center sandwiched between two 1/4" sheets of AR 250 steel then used 5/8" A/C exterior plywood on outside and inside, has a diamond shaped 1"×12"×12" AR polycarbonate window to let in some light and allow viewing with 1/4"×14"×14" AR polycarbonate sheets that are recessed into the plywood so for flush. When explained construction he admitted was plenty tough but didn't look it and most thieves attack rear doors so not as visible. Told me he has a 36"×80" steel frame security door with 3/4" uprights and plasma cut decorative steel design that ties all the uprights together across center and has reinforced lock area for standard deadbolt and knob. Says it can be flipped to left-hand or right opening. I agree with him a heavy steel security door would increase likelihood of someone attacking and damaging the basement door so he is going to install it next week. When feel better will cut a sheet of 3/8" or 1/2" AR polycarbonate to attach inside of the steel uprights of that door.

When mentioned he had a true 36"×80" security storm door like I have on "all main floor doors" told him one on deck was storm door with ballistic film, not true security rated storm door. I bought it and he is going to install in place of glass storm door on deck. When weather warms I will add blast rated ballistic film to it. He saw all the materials I have covered to replace all the decking on our deck that leads off kitchen, told him had been covered since I got sick he said if patient and let him finish deck when has nothing else on schedule would use my materials and do job right for $25 per hour. Tired of unfinished projects materials purchased for so giving him a shot and have electriction coming next week to handle setting new generator in place, adding 50 amp circuit to panel to tie it to and till the Generac pairing kit shows up will have choice to run one of three generators. When the kitmarrives it will be able to turn on one, two or all generators and match frequencies so have no damage to generators or devices.

Handiman came up with inexpensive but properly done way to increase size of generator shed using materials he saw under tarps. He is going to increase it's size by 18 sq/ft. Says can do in a day reusing existing doors and will keep it from being as crowded with third generator. Also came up with good plan to move my two new 52 gallon gasoline tanks and plumb them into generator shack if need to run off gasoline instead of natural gas. Thirty years of doing everything myself followed by two years of nothing happening it's time to finish a few projects. If we have to barricade ourselves we need to not have unfinished projects. He measured and said there is enough Durock fiber cement board to put a second layer on inside of generator shed and enough 5/8" pressure treated plywood to pull vinyl siding, put second layer then put the siding back on since reworking it for expansion. Will have enough extra materials to possibly take generator shed up one NIJ level when he adds more of everything including brick. Never thought I would be paying someone to do this work.

gunplumber

Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor
FALaholic #
Just finished Cormac McCarthy's grim post-nuclear novel 'The Road'... worry not, your "preps" may not be used by you, but they will help someone... ☠

Oh that was a horrible book. I was stuck at an airport and still couldn't finish that trash. The only thing more a waste of time was the movie. The most unrealistic, boring PA novel I've ever read.

Enquiring Minds

Contributor
FALaholic #
Oh that was a horrible book. I was stuck at an airport and still couldn't finish that trash. The only thing more a waste of time was the movie. The most unrealistic, boring PA novel I've ever read.
Yeah, definitely more of a screenplay than a real novel. Deep on the nuclear winter, shallow on the human side.

Black Blade

FALaholic #
In-Depth Tour of Quonset Hut Underground Built in 2011

Then and Now - 12 years later! Zero water issues - zero moisture and same as it was when finished, which is quite rare for Undergrounds in the Pacific Northwest that rains constantly from November till May/June.

Last edited: