• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Dies rusting!

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
I bought a brand new dehumidifier on my way home from Camp Butner last week.
The old one was three-years dead.

We got DROWNED during the "Excellence In Competition" (leg match) event.

I really can't afford to let a $500 shooting coat mildew. So I set up the coat and the rifle, and all the various paraphernalia next to the new dehumidifier and a box-fan. Seems to have dried it pretty well.

The dies that rusted were new ones I've never used. Just a little surface rust. All my dies that I use regularly get the CLP enema treatment at least once a year. Humid as fuck here. Raining all week. I was supposed to be at Quantico today. Damn glad I don't have ORDERS to be there. I'm still recovering from last week's traumatic event at Camp Butner.

I did neglect to clean my EARPLUGS out of the little Sierra Bullets box that I use for storing the foamies. Left the box on the floor of the garage for a couple days. When I opened the box at the range, I was confronted with this UNSAVORINESS!

(The red stuff isn't blood. Its MOLD! - No wonder my toenails won't clear up)

earplugs - moldy.jpg

wanneroo

FALaholic #
All you gotta do is wrap your dies in VCI paper. Probably solved. The other step I take is when done with a die set for a while, I give them a clean inside and out with MPro7.

OLDMANPBK

Gold Contributor
FALaholic #

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Homes for sale Sierra Vista/Hereford Arizona (y)

🍿:unsure::devilish:

Sierra Vista shooting range

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="
" title="This is me running a local Sierra Vista 3-gun stage" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1715793973481.jpeg

Last edited:

Jaxxas

Don't Tread On Me!
FALaholic #

FP1201

FALaholic #
I'm constantly seeing Reloading Equipment that was "put in storage" or relegated to the Basement, Cellar, Garage, etc. and it ALL surface rusted...Most of it will clean up, but never looks "Factory new" again, pits inside the dies? yea, chuck 'em...dies aren't all that expensive especially compared to having a Gun Smith (or even yourself) remove a stuck case from your gun, and removing one stuck in the Die ain't no fun either.

yellowhand

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
Actually had to remove some rust from several of my dies when I recently fired up my reloading gear, a small spot here and there, which surprised me, but it had been five years or so since anything was used.

Now, everything has been wiped down with CLP,,,which seems to last on firearms in storage here about 5 years.

Humidity level here today, is 1%,,,,,but my monitor, has never showed zero, so, 1% is most likely the needle resting point.

85 degrees, 1% humidity, and a very light breeze, what's not to love.

TerryN

FALaholic #
Yeah, 90 degrees, 53% humidity here. And I'm outside removing window tint from my truck. Failed state inspection; too dark. It's been on there since 2018 and was never a problem before. Either they changed the law or the shop got a new inspector. Last time I'm going there for anything though, I do know that. When I asked the counter guy why it was never an issue before, he didn't have an answer.

I've seen a lot of used reloading dies for sale that are so rusty that they have fuzz on them; 'light surface rust, will clean right up!' Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

W.E.G.

FAL Files Administrator
FALaholic #
Current temperature here next to the Wypipo House is 67 degrees.

And I'm sweating.

Maybe its the medication. I think I'll have another.

These poor bastards shot a match today at Quantico.
I'm still traumatized from the Butner EIC-in-the-deluge match last week.

These guys (and gals - pink AR) at the Navy Matches probably got dehydrated from sweating. And equipment all fully soaked.

Quantico in the rain.jpg

meltblown

FJB
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #

And I'm sweating.

These guys (and gals - pink AR) at the Navy Matches probably got dehydrated from sweating. And equipment all fully soaked.

View attachment 411813
Lyman dies rust don't care because I have a set of Dillon 308 dies to replace them with. High 90s finally coming in next week. Shit it was a nice spring but the piper is coming.

CTW

Contributor
FALaholic #

And I'm sweating.

View attachment 411813
Gonna be hot in 2 1/2 weeks in Talladega at the D-Day match.

kentuckyMarksman

FALaholic #
I keep a big dehumidifier in my basement where most of my reloading stuff is and I have to empty it several times a day this time of year. My stuff doesn't rust though.

I have a progressive press in my garage that I only use for 9mm and 45acp. Light rust on that stuff, but nothing that won't clean up.

TenTea

Contributor
FALaholic #