• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Danged ol' winter.

SmokeEater2

Contributor
FALaholic #
Hey northern boys, Your weather got loose and it's currently in my yard, Please come get it.

I know some of you guys live in a snow globe but more than an inch or two of snow is rare for us. We got hit with from 9-11 inches of HEAVY wet snow in 24 hours which is a record for us.

Power lines,poles and limbs dropped everywhere.

Right now the electric companies are reporting around 15,000 folks without power and they figure it may take a week or so to get it restored.

I'm out in the sticks here and we're the only ones served off a lone transformer but thankfully our power lines held up and we haven't lost power (knock wood) but a roof panel on the barn let go so I'll have to replace it and a lot of limbs broke off trees but I feel like we got off easy compared to the folks in town.

Hats off to you folks that live with this white crap every winter, I don't have the patience for it.

C-ya

One day at a time...
Contributor
FALaholic #
Wow. Best of luck to you and the rest of the folks affected. Losing power in winter is test of your preps for sure.

We only have a few inches on the ground from this system but the lake effect machine will kick in tonight. That shouldn't be too bad, though.

Invictus77

1C16:13
Staff member
Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Here, we normally get 2-4 inches, 2-4 times a year, which usually only lasts 2-4 days.

On the occasional year we get a BIG snow like you got, it screws up everything here too.

cotter

FALaholic #
Left home little before 0700 with about 5" on the ground, 31deg and still coming down hard. Roads were nasty til I got to the interstate then slushy and wet and not up to speed but moving along. About 2/3 the way in crested 34deg still snowing. Turned to a mix about 0830 then just rain, only 2" or so here in town. The snow from sunday was just about gone, this is just about gone already...

Mbell

FALaholic #
Getting “4-8” here tonight and winter is late for this time of year we usually have low teens to single digits for the norm but been getting lucky with high 30’s into the mid 40’s

Flypaper

Master Craftsman
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I’d rather have that snow than the icebox it’s coming down next week.
At least we have snow plows, and are prepared for it unlike down south… :(
The older I get, the less I like the winters up here… in a few more years, I’ll be spending winters in Colorado.

357ross

FALaholic #
It's finally more like a normal winter here, the more snow the less likely we will have to drink dust next summer. Deep snow is a pain but nothing like drought is.

grumpy1

FALaholic #
Smokeeater2, glad to hear you are doing ok. It is nice to have a normal winter out West. It’s been 15-20 years since we’re had a normal winter here in Utah. As a kid growing up in MT, WY and UT, we used to get hit with snow storms about every 3 to 4 days. Lately I’m lucky if I get 4 snow storms a year that stay more than a day. When I was about 17 we had a snow storm that left us almost 32 inches of snow in about 24 hours, it caused all sorts of problems.

The ski resorts just outside of Salt Lake have about 400 inches of snow this year. When I was younger the averaged almost 600 inches per year.

Last week I found myself in Florida, and the temperature was 41 degrees with a nasty wind to go with it. Back home it was only 38 degrees. So much for going to Florida to get a break from the cold weather.

alphadog58

FALaholic #
We has your southeastern US weather here, now. Rain last night, in the low 50's this morning. I haven't yet put the snowblower on the front of my Cub Cadet, starting to look like I might not need to this winter. Usually start seeing the average temps start rising end of January, beginning of February.
Larry

base704

Vampire Pilot
Contributor
FALaholic #
I'm currently in NC, but from Buffalo. . .
Lived with a lot of snow for a lot of years.
Very familiar with, but not missing the shit they're getting this year!