• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

CZ75 Compact throwing sparks

AllOuttaBubblegum

FALaholic #
Got an old CZ75 Compact alloy frame model, similar to a PCR but has a safety. Took it out shooting the other day alongside my P01. Using the same ammo and magazines the Compact kept blowing unburned powder out the muzzle but the P01 fired normally. The Compact felt a little rough, like some things need replacement, possibly some springs, definitely the main recoil. What would cause one gun in such a similar configuration to blow sparks out while the other operated more civilized?

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #
As an LEO Firearms Instructor for over 20 years, I saw that during day and night time firing. Same make pistols, calibers and ammo. Sometimes they sparked and flashed and other times they didn't. The flash is the hot gasses and the sparks are unburned powder igniting when the hit fresh air at the end of the barrel. The older pistols springs could be allowing the slide to come back a little faster than the newer pistol, allowing more air earlier in the cycle. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the pistols function properly and shot to point of aim. Unburnt powder/gunshot residue travels up to 5 inches from the muzzle depending on caliber and load.

AllOuttaBubblegum

FALaholic #
As an LEO Firearms Instructor for over 20 years, I saw that during day and night time firing. Same make pistols, calibers and ammo. Sometimes they sparked and flashed and other times they didn't. The flash is the hot gasses and the sparks are unburned powder igniting when the hit fresh air at the end of the barrel. The older pistols springs could be allowing the slide to come back a little faster than the newer pistol, allowing more air earlier in the cycle. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the pistols function properly and shot to point of aim. Unburnt powder/gunshot residue travels up to 5 inches from the muzzle depending on caliber and load.

I just ordered new recoil spring for the older Compact. It looks pretty chewed up, racks easily, likely letting your described situation happening. Regarding shooting to point of aim, the older pistol shoots strings rather than groups. That’s likely a separate issue than the recoil spring

AllOuttaBubblegum

FALaholic #
Stiffer spring seems to have stopped the spark nonsense. Pistol is still shooting rather poorly for a 75. I put a new stock front sight on to test with and it's kind of all over the place. Put the slide on a P01 frame that shoots tight groups and it made no difference so the accuracy problem seems to be coming from the upper assembly

AllOuttaBubblegum

FALaholic #
Recoil spring guide rod mating properly with the lug under the barrel? Locking lugs mating properly and consistently with the inside of the slide? Muzzle end of the barrel snug within the bushing?
Confirmed play in bushing. CGW is out of them at the moment. I talked with them today they suggested that’s the issue. Gun is an old Israel contract police trade in with many rounds. Kind of an odd ball configuration (alloy frame + manual safety) so it’s worth fixing to me

tac-40

Moderator, Armed Curmudgeon
Staff member
FALaholic #

AllOuttaBubblegum

FALaholic #
Found this company in Canada that still has a couple in stock if you want to go that route. Eeman parts seem to to be the go-to company in Europe like CGW is for the US.

Thanks for the link, sir. Think I’m gonna wait out CGW and save the cash towards an L1A1. I was at a militaria event today and got to handle one finally. It’s my dream FAL now. Light, ergonomic, nice sights, that cool charging handle, the furniture… total package for me

OMCHamlin

FALaholic #
I just ordered new recoil spring for the older Compact. It looks pretty chewed up, racks easily, likely letting your described situation happening. Regarding shooting to point of aim, the older pistol shoots strings rather than groups. That’s likely a separate issue than the recoil spring
In theory, it actually might. If that spring is weak enough, maybe it’s not returning the barrel to the same place each time. That’s admittedly a stretch.

ExCdnSoldierInTx

Don’t California my Texas!
Contributor
FALaholic #
Re: CGW, I have two compacts, one is a CGW with all the love that they impose on these, and the other is a set on springs and my WECSOGery with stones, Emory cloth and polish. Both pistols shoot flawlessly, with my homemade job obviously being my favorite due to ego.

My opinion? If you’re going CGW, buy a new one already done. They’re often available immediately, whereas sending yours in is often a 3-5 month turnaround. Buying the new gun already done is much more wallet friendly way, as well.

My .02