• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

CZ-52 wear

Thoregon

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
I found this website and have been reading up on potential wear issues with the CZ-52.
Has anyone had or know of these problems with CZ-52's ?

Federal Arms once made a nice array of replacement barrels for the CZ-52 in both the original 7.62x25mm caliber and 9x19mm. Users of these rollers have reported problems caused by their lack of hardness — the rollers go out of round. This problem has also been reported for the rollers in the original ČZ production.

Once the rollers go even slightly out of round they slide rather than roll and abrade the barrel. The first evidence you're likely to notice is flakes of disintegrated roller in the frame. By that time you notice this, your barrel is already on its way out and you need a replacement!

Internet troll

FALaholic #
I know that they eat firing pins too. The CZ52 seems to be one of those guns thats been plagued with problems since its inception. I remember when they flooded the market in the early 2000's and were less than 200 bucks. All I could find was articles about bad firing pins and roller issues and cracked guns. 7.62x25 isnt a round I wanna play with when rollers start failing either. Mind you, none of this is based on first hand experience, but Ive read enough bad things that its not a gun Id ever want to own.

Thoregon

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
The business mentioned above seems to have solutions for the problems that seem to be inherent in the original design. Including weak metal in the firing pins.
I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has dealt with any of these problems.

ftierson

FALaholic #
Clark had lots to say about the CZ-52... :)

Personally, I have loaded ammo for the CZ-52 using mostly Fiocchi 7.63 Mauser cases and H110 powder (with Speer and Hornady bullets).

Loading to the top end, I saw no barrel/roller 'problems.' Perhaps with more rounds...

I've also fired a fair amount of the Bulgarian 7.62x25mm military ammo with no problems (this ammo is 'known' to have some splitting problems).

Don't stand next to anything flammable when shooting any of this stuff... :)

Forrest

357ross

FALaholic #
I've dealt with these problems years ago. Yes, the firing pins are very brittle, they are made of cast steel. The rollers are a little soft and they will ruin the barrel. One way to tell if there is a problem there is to check the breech 'tightness' if that makes sense. Cycle the action, empty chamber, and push the slide back to see how far it moves before the rollers engage. There should be just enough to detect. There is a company that makes excellent firing pins and rollers, if I remember right it was Harrington products. Best barrel is a factory replacement, if you can find one. The '52 is an interesting pistol with an interesting design, but it's like the development and execution just fell short of the mark. My pistol functioned ok but the brass always split the neck, whether brass or steel. Finally found the problems with the rollers and replaced them along with the firing pin. That stopped the splitting necks and even changed the felt recoil for the better. They are great guns with some upgraded parts.

Thoregon

Silver Contributor
FALaholic #
First post was a link to Harrington Products.
I made this post looking for confirmation after reading most of the websites info.
When I called him he sounded like he knew a great deal about the CZ-52 so I went ahead and ordered the firing pin and rollers.
He also said he was running full production and selling a lot of firing pin kits.
Also, complained that he was 78 years old and did not want to continue to work this hard. Made me realize that these improved parts might not be available in the future.
My advice is to get them now.

ftierson

FALaholic #
First post was a link to Harrington Products.
I made this post looking for confirmation after reading most of the websites info.
When I called him he sounded like he knew a great deal about the CZ-52 so I went ahead and ordered the firing pin and rollers.
He also said he was running full production and selling a lot of firing pin kits.
Also, complained that he was 78 years old and did not want to continue to work this hard. Made me realize that these improved parts might not be available in the future.
My advice is to get them now.
Good advice...

Forrest

aron82

FALaholic #
I personally think The issues are a bit overblown for most collectors.
Don't dry fire a CZ-52.

If you are just occasionally shooting quality non surplus ammo, you probably won't have any issues.
If you shoot a lot or want to dry fire then get the fancy parts.

A lot of the surplus ammo out there is made for subguns and too hot for pistols. Some of the surplus had a lot of split case necks out of the box.

It's a bit of a hard sell to spend an extra $63 on a $200 pistol, that's obsolete.

alphadog58

FALaholic #
When I bought my CZ 52 the firing pin problem was already being discussed here. I bought the aftermarket firing pin right away.
Haven’t seen any damage to the barrel or rollers yet.
I’ve put 1000 rounds through it, Bulgar, Polish, and Yugo. The Yugo is the newest manufacture and is supposed to be non-corrosive.
Larry

raubvogel

Contributor
FALaholic #
Handloads with H110 will give you quite the fireball. Even bigger than 'normal' ammo does...
Wear hearing protection when shooting. Wear earplug's and even more hearing protection when shooting a CZ52.
So, you two are saying it is the perfect pistol to bring to a concealed carry class?

AliYahu

FALaholic #
A friend bought a couple through an ad here in the 'Files several years ago. We knew one had a defective firing pin safety, the seller disclosed it. Unfortunately, my friend didn't bother replacing the firing pin, dropped the gun one day, and took a fatal gunshot wound to the chest as a result.
As much as I love ComBloc stuff, I wouldn't own one of the things!

Eli

ftierson

FALaholic #
A friend bought a couple through an ad here in the 'Files several years ago. We knew one had a defective firing pin safety, the seller disclosed it. Unfortunately, my friend didn't bother replacing the firing pin, dropped the gun one day, and took a fatal gunshot wound to the chest as a result.
As much as I love ComBloc stuff, I wouldn't own one of the things!

Eli
Sorry about your friend. I just point out that he knew there was a problem that he didn't fix.

I have seen a lot of CZ52 pistols (I have three myself). Every one that I have seen failed the decocker 'pencil test.' My solution is to avoid using the decocker...

Forrest

AliYahu

FALaholic #
Sorry about your friend. I just point out that he knew there was a problem that he didn't fix.

I have seen a lot of CZ52 pistols (I have three myself). Every one that I have seen failed the decocker 'pencil test.' My solution is to avoid using the decocker...

Forrest
The gun wasn't cocked, was dropped or fell off a dresser (about chest height), and discharged when it hit a carpeted floor. As much as I generally loathe 'Israeli carry' (empty chamber), it's the only safe way to carry these.

Eli

SWOHFAL

FALaholic #
I personally think The issues are a bit overblown for most collectors.
Don't dry fire a CZ-52.

If you are just occasionally shooting quality non surplus ammo, you probably won't have any issues.
If you shoot a lot or want to dry fire then get the fancy parts.

A lot of the surplus ammo out there is made for subguns and too hot for pistols. Some of the surplus had a lot of split case necks out of the box.

It's a bit of a hard sell to spend an extra $63 on a $200 pistol, that's obsolete.
Getting one now will run over $400.

swedishmauser

FALaholic #
Harrington Products:
Quantity: 1
Item: CZ-52-5
ID Number: One pair of hardened rollers for CZ-52
Price: $18.00 USD
_
Item: CZ-52-1
ID Number: CZ-52-1 modified military firing pin
Price: $30.00 USD
_
Item: CZ-52-4
ID Number: CZ-52 extractor
Price: $45.00 USD
_
Item: CZ-52-6
ID Number: CZ-52 barrel take-down tool
Price: $11.00 USD
As others have said, primarily risk of parts breakage using the original parts.

jdowney

FALaholic #
For what it's worth, Harrington Products remains alive and well. Ordered some stuff on a Saturday, parts were in my PO Box the following Saturday.
Email confirmation following the order and tracking info emails were nil, but that is to be expected with older guys running an operation. Just glad to get the parts!