• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

customizing a Rem 1100 for home defense

KoKodog

FALaholic #

I took my severely beaten Remington 1100 Magnum and tore it down soaked the main recoil spring and guide and tube with Hopes#9 for a week and polished the tube w/ a wool felt plug and JB bore paste and cleaned it all up, stripped the action and cleaned it, restaked the pieces, installed a choat combat bolt handle and a Daves easy loader (makes loading the magazine easier and faster) a 2 shell extender w/ a support and spring w/ follower, chopped the 3" mag barrel back to 20 inches and opened the gas ports just a hair and plan to a limb saver recoil pad and cut a 45 degree angle on the top so the gun swings into position very fast just like my Ithaca, also added a side saddle

when friends and family see this new version and I explain the mods their eyes get big and mouths open and once they shoot it are in love w/ it

going to chop 1 inch from the stock, that's why the white tape is there
tape on the barrel was to figure if I can remove the rib and sleeve over the barrel and cross drill for allen set screws to make it work like a wad drag so buckshot holds a better pattern

links to parts

barrel seal o ring goes right beside gas piston
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMWQ6Y/?tag=akfnfal-20

Last edited:

FUUN063

FALaholic #
I built two years ago, I've still got one and a friend has the other one. I switched out the wood for the black plastic furniture, though. I, too, added the mag tube extension (steel version made by some guy at Knob). I've shot and qualified with it for 18 years now and don't plan on it going anywhere. There are other more modern shotguns coming out for this purpose and I don't doubt them, but for me, the 'ol 1100 will work out fine. Now, I'm looking for some Federal Flight Control )) buck with the 8 pellets as I'm told that's some super tight shootin' stuff. I may also drill and tap the receiver for some sort of new fangled red dot, but we'll see.

Leland

KoKodog

FALaholic #
look at getting a Patternmaster choke tube, it strips the wad so the wad does not punch a hole in the pattern of shot, it lets the shot column intact, over years it will be cheaper than buying expensive flight control wad shells
but for me, the 'ol 1100 will work out fine. Now, I'm looking for some Federal Flight Control )) buck with the 8 pellets as I'm told that's some super tight shootin' stuff.
Leland

maxblaster

FALaholic #
KoKoDog, Have you did a decent amount of shooting the gun since adding the Dave's Metal Works Easy Loader extended carrier release bar ? How is it working for you? I had a Remington Factory employed Master Shotgun Smith tell me not to do so when I was about ready to install one myself some years back. Curious as to your results and opinions. JB

Andy the Aussie

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
That one was not too bad compared to some. It belonged to the man most like a father to me, I did some loading for it and it was an effective enough swine slayer. Shot better than my Mini14 that's for sure.

ByronF

FALaholic #
Now that I have two Sportsman 12 Auto (cheapened 1100) I'm left only half-hard about them due to the ghey button that cock-blocks my attempts to reload fastaditiously.

KoKodog

FALaholic #
unfortunately I have not shot the 1100 that much, my overall health dropped into the crapper as I was trying to finish the project, I made the decision to add the Daves loader because the factory button can easily be missed under stress while trying to reload and I'm glad that I did since my diabetes have affected my hands and the high blood pressure meds have my hands like blocks of ice

so what excuse did the so called factory expert give you to not install

KoKoDog, Have you did a decent amount of shooting the gun since adding the Dave's Metal Works Easy Loader extended carrier release bar ? How is it working for you? I had a Remington Factory employed Master Shotgun Smith tell me not to do so when I was about ready to install one myself some years back. Curious as to your results and opinions. JB