• WTB / WTS / WTT ADS
    All Advertisements, including Want to Buy, Want to Sell, Want to Trade, Belong in the MARKETPLACE ONLY. Any new threads posted offering an item for sale, looking to trade or buy an item which are posted outside of Marketplace will be deleted without notice or warning. Existing threads will be moved to marketplace.
  • Marketplace Feedback Ratings
    The Marketplace feedback ratings system is now back. You can now leave feedback for your Buy / Sell / Trade transactions. Instructions on how to leave feedback ratings can be found HERE

Covid Strain

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
General surgeon removed the larger tumor first and was stunned how big it was once cut me open. Most of my doctors say scans are seldom conclusive and till open you up have no idea what all will find. It was double the size they expected and involved in two muscles he had to cut then suture back together before closing. He claimed it was literally bigger than a baseball in total size and took three times longer to remove than estimated.

The spinal surgeon was supposed to remove the small tumor involved with spine after the general surgeon got the big one. Because of amount of cutting done they didnt think it wise to dig into a second location so will get the one at spine next week. Also took more than twice time allotted for me to be on the table just getting this one. Spinal surgeon had other procedures scheduled so they made the call to not tag team removing two as pain from just this one is miserable. If the one at spine is more involved than scans indicate they said it would be too traumatic for me to get both plus anesthesiologist and entire surgical team was a full half hour over my total allotted table time for both getting the big one out.

KIMG1293_copy_2080x1170.jpg

Was told it would be a 5mm to 7mm incision with nothing but super glue holding the incision closed for this spot. Was over five inches and so deep am full of sutures in the two muscles they had to cut. Deep and wide all sliced and diced still sucks even with IV pain meds. Can't lay on back at all and always been a back sleeper. Can't wear my BiPAP mask face down and hospital staff does not want me to sleep without machine. Thus per normal turned goofy and entire plan changed but rather have surgeons slow their roll than rush to meet a schedule. Will be released in morning and then will be back next week.

Up side are some cute nurses with one very friendly but wife put her off the scent. Since laying face down (they can't see my ugly mug) and wearing no shirt or gown as increases pain the nurses have made lots of comments about nearly 60 year old man who is so fit. Then either see marital status on chart or wife comes in. Who would have thought the hospital would be a place to meet women. Hoping they have some good sleeping potion coming soon. As normal anything happens to me it always goes sideways compared to plans. Was supposed to be outpatient originally and turned into two nights in the Chinese Flu Factory with open wound being left uncovered.

KoKodog

FALaholic #
hang in there Huey, we're rooting for you

and yes sometimes there are some sweet nurses in the hospital, and some are even gun friendly and hate Democrat/lefties

what makes me turn from so many of all nurses is ultra low IQ, it sickens me to think how stupid so many are, but they would be ok to give a one night stand if they can be kept quiet enough ( screaming to God is a fair exception)

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Was supposed to get out last Monday but based on pathology and blood work they took me back to surgery and woke up with six puncture wounds where they injected a mix of poisons designed to kill bacteria, infection, cancer cells and help with pain before they kill the patient. They were having trouble managing my pain without exceeding maximum allowed morphine equivalent in a given time frame. Also while tumor was benign doctor saw something in pathology and blood tests where he felt that adding something to kill any possible cancer cells (had to chop the tumor out in pieces) that may have gotten loose in blood stream and added some medication to fight potential infection while stabbing me with an ice pick.

KIMG1428~2_copy_1971x1319.jpg

I am back home and feel o.k. long as laying down but can't sit in recliner more than a half hour at a time. When bend getting out of bed, out of chair or off the toilet and body wants to use the muscles doctor cut as chasing the tumor feels like I am being shanked in a prison bathroom. We still have the smaller tumor to cut out but that is on hold till heal from this deal enough for doctors to be happy. Back at home but go in for a post op appointment tomorrow and last two was stuck back in hospital so am not confident they won't find a reason to run up the bill before end of year copays reset and I start resisting too many procedures till eventually get the 2023 copays and deductibles met. Gotta be tough to get old.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Had oddest thing happen today, been feeling something like a bug crawling under the skin where incision is healing. Been a nicely progressing process since the trip back to hospital for all the injections and IVs when began bothering me bad the weekend following the removal of the tumor. Felt the "insect" begin to crawl Sunday/Monday getting more aggrevating each day. Yesterday morning could a small bump near end of incision when woke up and was one of those things could not keep from reaching back and pressing on our rubbing.

This morning it was driving me nuts so kept reaching back an pressing on it or rubbing it constantly. About lunch felt like something popped thru the skin and had wife look at it who said it looked like the end of a piece of fishing string poking out of a raw area of incision. Knew immediately it was suture material when she said that.

Surgeon said he filled me up with dissolving sutures sewing the muscles he had to cut back together so assumed one had come apart while dissolving so asked wife to grab it with a set of hemostats and pull it out. She got a hold of it and began tugging but wasn't coming out so told her to pull harder and suddenly the thing came through the incision. It looked like a blob of tissue with a short piece of fishing line sticking out. Took it to a sink, began washing it and lightly scrubbing with a soft brush.

Got all the what looked like tissue that see around a lipoma when removing and found a very neatly tied knot of suture material that had not dissolved at all. Last week I bent funny reaching in the refrigerator getting out a half gallon of milk and felt like pulled a muscle or something followed by a sharp pain for a few hours. Biggest part of sutures should have dissolved by now but this suture looked brand new when cleaned up. All I can figure is maybe doctor ran short on suture material he was using, asked for another piece and nurse gave him a needle threaded with non dissolving suture for maybe the last knot as he worked out to incision.

Had wife clean the area where it came out real good then superglue the small tear in incision well. Called surgeons office, talked to his N.P. who seemed baffled and concerned so sent her pics of the piece sticking out, it pulled out before and after cleaning plus incision where wife glued the small tear back closed. She said doctor was in surgery today but would show him photos and relay what happened then call and see if he wanted me to come in tomorrow.

It feels much better now with the bug no longer crawling around under my skin with the sharp end of suture material no longer stabbing me. The body is an amazing thing as had already had majority of it covered with tissue like a big splitter or other foreign material left too long. N.P. said all sutures should have been at least mostly dissolved or at least well into the process, not looking like a well tied fishing knot still. Could be it was so close to skin and in area body just didn't attack it like should have or been a manufacturing defect in a small portion of the suture material.

Its cleaned and in the jar with all the pieces of steel, shattered acrylic, shards of glass, titanium screws from old repairs where doctors later removed. Running saws, routers, mills, drill presses, picking up foreign material in MVAs, etc have a nice collection of stuff doctors have removed over the years. They never let you keep tissue, one doctor cut out a lipoma that was about the size of the end of my little finger felt didn't need to go to pathology asked to keep but he wouldn't let me. Asked doctor who cut the tumor out if I could keep what wasn't sent to pathology and said no.

A jar of formaldehyde with different pieces of tissue cut out like the bursa from bursectomies when had rotator cuff repairs, torn tissue out of knees would be something I am odd enough to want to keep. Assume the surgeon will want to see me tomorrow then do an ultrasound or MRI to see if there is another loose suture floating around but like this one believe I would have felt it by now.

My phone has rang off the hook and text messages piled up from FEMA and other agencies asking me to bring my cellular repeater/micro site and bucket truck to Florida and GEMA wants me on the ready but told all am done with rolling out for hurricanes due to health. Did my part and am done with it and know they asked if could send someone to get my truck and me train them on setup. Told them in bed and when able to get out will be selling it if they want to buy it. They didn't seem interested in paying for it.

C-ya

One day at a time...
Contributor
FALaholic #
I had two lipomas removed, one from my left bicep and one from my right temple. The bicep incision had two small pieces of "monofilament" come out. Weird. No other signs of sutures there or on my temple from the plastic surgeon.

hueyville

Bronze Contributor
FALaholic #
Have been cut on many times and had everything from sutures, stitches, rods, pins, plates, screws and more put in. On a few occasions surgeon went back in later and removed some or all of some device designed to hold things together till they healed and no longer needed the widget they used. Mostly been screws removed that were used near joints and in one circumstance tip of screw poked through bone and was fine till a nearby tendon shifted as I did my rehab and tip of screw was rubbing on tendon and felt like a rat chewing on the tendon as it rubbed against the screw.

This was first time something weasels out of its own free will and surgeon said sometimes body will reject something especially if very shallow. They determined it was last suture he used on muscle closest to surface as he sewed his way out of the series of muscles he had to cut. He said I had to have stressed it and pulled it loose for it to work up to skin and once the end of suture material began rubbing against skin from inside and poked out having wife pull it out was not best idea but not horrible either since we were careful, was a weekend and driving me insane.

He knows wife has medical background and has seen all the photos and video where she closed this because my doctor of choice at the time had a broken hand. He told wife what to do and took pics/video while his nurse assisted. Nurse was most unhappy suggesting we go to hospital but we knew they would cut my hair off then shave a big bare spot. Wife carefully just trimmed the hair and torn tissue required to get a good surface to glue my head back closed then we used an outpatient center for CT scan and MRI.
bustedhead_0138.jpg